Working while travelling around UK (1 Viewer)

Motorhomeluva

Free Member
Jan 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express Compass
Exp
Since 2018
Me and my partner have been living in our Motorhome since December last year after giving up our rented house and we love it. We are looking at travelling around different parts of the UK and giving up our jobs.

What do full timers do for work when travelling in the UK as I eoukd t know where to start looking. We wo t be going abroad just the UK at the monent. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated :)

OP
OP
M

Motorhomeluva

Free Member
Jan 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express Compass
Exp
Since 2018
Haha have to setup a stall outside the motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Unless you can work online, then maybe a campsite warden job would suit.
Plenty advertised, look on U.K. Campsites website under jobs.

..........May need to grow a small moustache tho.........!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's some on here get summer jobs as campsite wardens, it would mean you were stuck on one site though.
How's your cabbage picking skills, might be a few jobs in the Spalding area come the end of March ? ;):)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What sort of work are you looking for? We have had people stay on our site in the past and have swapped jobs for a pitch.

We even had a archivist stay a few years ago and stayed here for free as she was researching the area and got interested in Cornish Farm.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Like those above...

As only you two know what transferable skill sets you have...

And more importantly - what spare cash you have - for the times you cannot get work..

I full time - currently In the UK and have done all sorts from building work to making jewellery..
even grass cutting - loo repairs etc..

But I do have a small pesion income.. and can “live” on that if no major bills/repairs etc...

BTW.. full time insurance is circ 1k for me..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Me and my partner have been living in our Motorhome since December last year after giving up our rented house and we love it. We are looking at travelling around different parts of the UK and giving up our jobs.
Not something you've asked about but if you are now full-time living in your MH with no fixed abode your insurance won't cover you, you have to get 'proper' full-time insurance which costs a lot more than normal insurance. If, however, you are still registered at a 'fixed' home belonging to a relative/friend etc to which you are registered to vote etc, some insurers will accept this and NOT class you as full-time ... best to check what insurance cover you have before doing anything else as this might influence what you actually end up doing.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Go to the local shops and supermarkets and job centres,look in the local papers,go online. Cold call industrial areas.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I suggest agency driving, but I would stay in one place for a while you build up a reputation for reliability, then you can get them to give a reference when you move on to another area.

I managed to build up a reputation so that they called me first; in fact the government department I drove for used to call me direct to check availability, then called the agency to book me.

Maybe it would be an idea to register with an agency that has branches countrywide - although none of those I worked for were in that category, so I cannot make suggestions. Maybe Manpower have a driving division.

Pay is not great - maybe £8-£8.50ph, unless you have a 'C/CE' licence for HGV and there is a shortage of those, so might be easy to find work. Even a C1 licence is increasingly a help.

Geoff

OP
OP
M

Motorhomeluva

Free Member
Jan 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express Compass
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks guys for all the info I will look into it and let you know if anything comes up.

I have the appropriate insurance when i took the policy out but thanks for the advice :)

OP
OP
M

Motorhomeluva

Free Member
Jan 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express Compass
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks guys for all the info I will look into it and let you know if anything comes up.

I have the appropriate insurance when i took the policy out but thanks for the advice :)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi would love to be a full timer. We our planning on getting our first van. We would sell up and go for it. If it was not for the the stuff that is going on at the moment in the EU. We would go for it. But!!!
Anyway work and money is one thing we think of. So when I seen this post was made up.
But it got us thinking maybe one job full timers could do was courier. We have used a site where you put what you want moving and to where and couriers bid on who move it. May be you could do some think like that. It a web site where you just sign up as a driver.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hi would love to be a full timer. We our planning on getting our first van. We would sell up and go for it. If it was not for the the stuff that is going on at the moment in the EU. We would go for it. But!!!
Anyway work and money is one thing we think of. So when I seen this post was made up.
But it got us thinking maybe one job full timers could do was courier. We have used a site where you put what you want moving and to where and couriers bid on who move it. May be you could do some think like that. It a web site where you just sign up as a driver.

2 immediate problems spring to mind if you mean using the MH........insurance and payload.

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Eventually
Exp
I would try WWOOFING for a couple of weeks at a time. No salary but food and accommodation is free which means you aren’t spending money on food and fuel which is equivalent of a wage.

Stacker

Blanket Stacker

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Dunfermline Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Eventually
Exp
L

But I do have a small pesion income.. and can “live” on that if no major bills/repairs etc.

That’s a good point, but how much is enough to live. We are all different but assuming no site fees what would be considered an absolute minimum?

Stacker

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.

What do full timers do for work when travelling in the UK as I eoukd t know where to start looking. We wo t be going abroad just the UK at the monent. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated :)

Give Van Stomp a Google. It's an agency for itinerant workers. They seem to have their act together. Good luck to you. I'm going to be doing the same in a little over 3 weeks time. :)(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
just look at van stomp and they urgently need experienced FLT's so good call

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Xtrahands is another similar one. They advertise jobs on farms for harvest time. Grain or straw carting, through to potatoes and onions etc. Even lambing staff. They also have the full time jobs as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back