wont take his wormer for his passport (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
we travel with a five year old collie. hes a clever boy but nervous and very unconfident. very friendly - til some unknown person wants to examine him...
ive watched over these years -sometimes twice a year once three times but every year so quite a few visits!!--as he decides hes not taking his drontal at the vets on our way home, culminating in a very embarrassing session in Brittany out on the pavement with best french pate...

we are off again in a couple of weeks. hes not food orientated - food treats dont overide any anxiety - but i am using his highest level treat of hardly cooked liver pieces and a throwing game which hes enjoying. hes having a ten day course of tablets at the moment and having refused the first one after watching me insert it into a piece of liver has accepted that and plays the game and catches, knowing theres a tab inserted

so far so good

i am very nervous about this return vet visit!
the last one was incredibly understanding patient and inventive but theyre not all going to be like that

so im asking for any other tips and suggestions please!!!

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
thanks
Im working on that principle
cheese sometimes work as a training treat but its not consistent! Im using the liver bits because they are often more consistent
i think what you say about excitement level is the key!!
Hes scoffing without chewing at the moment
so I'll need to devise a high excitement game !!

and which works in different environments..!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Crush the tablet between 2 spoons. Spread the bits in a bit of wet food.
we do that at home for his wormer successfully but theres no way hell eat that at the vets!

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
There are worming treatments administered by injection. But more costly I guess. The dog not be too impressed either but it may be less stressful in the long run. :)
ive been asking my vet about alternatives and they didnt mention injections!!
Ill get back to them
yes hed not be too impressed but it was ridiculously stressful ( me and him) last year and depends what sort of injection
any sort better than that palaver!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've needed to give our Spanial big brown tablets this week.

So when I'm feeding the 2 kittens, I really wind him up till he's salivating.
Give him his powdered tablet in some kitten food and it's gone in 2 seconds.

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Open the mouth, pop the pill onto the back of the tongue.
Close the mouth until the dog swallows, job done.
works at home
but in the vets hes writhing snapping frantic
worst experience was trying to get a sedative injection in him prior to minor op
two vets two nurses us two

we were advised to stop and not do the op!!!!

partners step father a vet
he thought we ought to invent similar gadget to the one they use for cattle and sheep!!!

thats my partner not the vet!! we try not to be soft!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've needed to give our Spanial big brown tablets this week.

So when I'm feeding the 2 kittens, I really wind him up till he's salivating.
Give him his powdered tablet in some kitten food and it's gone in 2 seconds.

Great idea. Cat food has a lot of flavour enhancers which is why dogs love to eat it ( and the reason they’ll eat cat poo) A pill hidden in a bit of kitten food might just work.
Have you tried a plastic pill popper? Insert pill into the popper, hide it behind you, open dogs jaws, popper in, job done. I know he’s a nervous dog but I’ve done this with a semi feral cat without injury to either of us.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
works at home
but in the vets hes writhing snapping frantic
worst experience was trying to get a sedative injection in him prior to minor op
two vets two nurses us two

we were advised to stop and not do the op!!!!

partners step father a vet
he thought we ought to invent similar gadget to the one they use for cattle and sheep!!!

thats my partner not the vet!! we try not to be soft!!

We have a Patterdale terrier, anyone that knows the breed will now be smiling and nodding :D

If the vet is a wimp she knows it and she will take the p***

I found you have to be very positive with her then she knows the score.

Nervous people make nervous animals in general I’ve found.

Not saying you are but I’ve come across some vets that are less than positive in their approach :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
partly im asking here because i was aware that i was getting nervous which will not help him in the slightest

generally i think we are positive and we certainly werent as tolerant as the vet staff on that occasion i quoted above!!
wed have had him held down and jabbed
as it was his injury healed well with out the op but in other circumstances....

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Great idea. Cat food has a lot of flavour enhancers which is why dogs love to eat it ( and the reason they’ll eat cat poo) A pill hidden in a bit of kitten food might just work.
Have you tried a plastic pill popper? Insert pill into the popper, hide it behind you, open dogs jaws, popper in, job done. I know he’s a nervous dog but I’ve done this with a semi feral cat without injury to either of us.
no we havent tried that
tried crushed drontal in water in syringe-not too successful
what id really like is some drontal tabs without the drontal!! just to practice with
did ask
maybe i should go back again to manufacturer more directlythan customer service
most of these tips and advice we can do at home and theres no real problem ( exception practising for Kennel cough....)
its the incrementally difficulty ive watched at the vets !! And until that last session using most of those recommendations and suggestions youve posted worked albeit with more and more guile needed on our part!
I'll look at a pill popper
maybe use that straight off before hes sussed it!!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We take one of those little tins of Spanish pate and put a blob of that on the pill disappears every time without fail.(y)(y)(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
wed have had him held down and jabbed
as it was his injury healed well with out the op but in other circumstances..

Mine always stands on the table at the vets and I hold her under the shoulders if the vet wants me to.

We started of with an excellent vet, very confident in his approach and explaining what I should do.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just wormed ours and she will spit any hidden tablet out. I used to pretend to call the cat and she would eat anything in a few seconds , it doesn't work anymore as poor old Doris the cat went to the farm in the sky almost a year ago . Laika the wonder dog has also cottoned onto my little ploy.
What I did was to wrap the tablet in chicken skin and starved her before hand; Down in one second.
The kitten food sounds a good tool.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Open wide ...

41P2IT3SxTL._SY355_.jpg

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
On visits to France I use the vet I used when I lived there. She uses an injection for worming, which although more expensive is easier than a pill. At home on occasion I look after my neighbour’s French Bulldog who is prone to fitting and has, reluctantly, to take pills twice a day. Trial and error has led me to pushing the pills into a baby bel cheese which he devours enthusiastically.

OP
OP
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
i need to find out about this injection!! thank you

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
On our last trip the french vet actually put his whole hand into our dogs mouth and virtually pushed the tablet down his throat ...

I normally open his mouth wide, throw it as far as i can and then hold his mouth shut until he has swallowed a couple of times. 90% success rate first time but it always goes down second time (so far)

Alcemi

Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
I usually mould a piece of Brie around any tablet as it sticks to it, so spitting the tablet out isn't easy... but our dog does love cheese...

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
don't know if it will work for dogs, but if i licked my had and put the tablet on top our cats would take them quite happilly, no chance if i didnt lick my hand, wish i could remember how on earth i discovered this would work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back