Wont start when hot (7 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sounds like an intermittent air leak in the diesel line. What happens is when you switch of the fuel is drawn back down the fuel pipe and into the tank. Then when you try to start the engine the fuel then has to be drawn all the way back up the fuel line.could be porous fuel line. Worth a look.
Yeah this was my first reply but he says it starts from cold so presumably it wouldn't have started when he first switched it off hot but then why does it start cold the diesel will still have gone back , if that makes sense.

excel

Free Member
Oct 8, 2011
east sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Get what your saying. I still think there’s air getting into the line somewhere and drawing the fuel back to the tank. Could be something connected with the heat on the pipes. Problem with old fuel lines is they are prone to getting micro holes in the lines. Can be a Pain to find. Just as easy to change The pipes.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are getting air into the fuel line the longer you left the engine not running the worse the problem would be. So if you can go to vehicle after a day or two, flick key and it starts, it’s not air in fuel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This morning I got the van (07 Ducato 2.3MH) out of storage and took it to get the fuel tank refilled - it took 79 litres so was pretty well empty. When I took the fuel filler cap off there was a huge sucking sound as if there had been a vacuum in the tank. Incidentally it has been sitting since the end of March.

I've never had the problem the OP is talking about, but is it possible a vacuum is preventing fuel getting through? I've heard of it happening years ago on petrol cars when the fuel breather pipe was blocked, so bad as to actually collapse the fuel tank.

Please ignore me if you think I'm talking a load of rubbish, but sometimes weird things happen with motors! :wondering:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This morning I got the van (07 Ducato 2.3MH) out of storage and took it to get the fuel tank refilled - it took 79 litres so was pretty well empty. When I took the fuel filler cap off there was a huge sucking sound as if there had been a vacuum in the tank. Incidentally it has been sitting since the end of March.

I've never had the problem the OP is talking about, but is it possible a vacuum is preventing fuel getting through? I've heard of it happening years ago on petrol cars when the fuel breather pipe was blocked, so bad as to actually collapse the fuel tank.

Please ignore me if you think I'm talking a load of rubbish, but sometimes weird things happen with motors! :wondering:
I had that on an old Bedford ha van late 60s, it got that I could only put a couple of gallons in and thinking it was full as the sides of the tank had trapped the float, ran out of fuel a few times before discovering it.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I had that on a Volvo. Turned out the fuel tank vent was blocked. On a journey it was fine but as you sucked fuel from the tank it caused a vaccine on the tank so when you stopped it syphoned the fuel back to the tank. The fuel pump isn't good at sucking air so wouldn't prime until the vacuum had reduced in the tank.
Of course it might be something else but next time you stop take the fuel cap off see if there is a suction on the tank.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
Had same problem, was dreading large bill However, friend sad 'change the earth strap' Problem solved for £4.62

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had same problem, was dreading large bill However, friend sad 'change the earth strap' Problem solved for £4.62
you can test for this by using a jump lead as a temporary earth strap. If it solves the problem, fit a new earth strap from the bodywork to the engine

Sep 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Took our Comanche out the other day for a run and first stop was for fuel and it has been laid up since January with 1/4 tank fuel. Engine is 3.0 and when I released the filler cap there was a lot of vacuum, is this normal. Did have hot starting problems before the injectors were replaced.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I'm not sure what could cause that, it does sound like a fuel problem, possibly a faulty valve/ solenoid best advice I have is to get the breakdown service out, and hope they arrive in good time. The problem with intermittent faults is you can only find the fault when it's there
Is there a fuel pump pushing fuel from the tank to the engine, I had that would not start problem once which was a faulty pump. If it is a diesel and a Peugeot?Citroen they may have a bulb hand pump to feed fuel to the system. I believe that Fiats don't have them but certainly all my Pug cars had one down to the 508 of 2011.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My ex husband was pleased to be entrusted with one of the very first Allegro vans off the production line at Longbridge and delivered only that morning resplendently signwritten by PMG's body shop, to his employer - Patrick Motors Group Parts Dept, Dawlish Rd, Selly Oak. Off he went, his boss having asked where he was going today, had told him to put some petrol in it when he got to customer in Handsworth Wood. He pulled up by a pump but couldn't get the fuel cap off. Why? Because the tank had imploded, owing to Longbridge omitting to fabricate an air hole into the fuel cap ! Ooopsie.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
you could look at the wire to starter motor solenoid wire as it gets hot it expands loose it grip

Cornish Crew

Free Member
Nov 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,
Subscribed amongst other reasons so that I could respond to this post :giggle:

We had the exact same issue with our 2002 van, took us an age to sort out, as it was intermittant and gradually got worse.

To cut a long story short; Does the security warning light flash on the dash as you try to start ?

With ours it was the solid state imobiliser unit fitted to the rear of the fuel pump which controls the power supply to the stop solenoid. This suffers with heat soak. We found pouring water over the rear of the fuel pump helped reduce the lock out time.

The device is shielded and secured with tamper proof bolts, it can be removed and by passed or replced with a new one which will need to be re coded. In our case I considered the risk on a 2002 van was minimal so removed and by passed the device. I am a vehicle technician by trade so was able to do this myself, but would not advise a novice to try as it was tricky at best. Any decent garage could remove and by pass for you, but you may need a dealer if you go down the replacement route.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back