LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi guys can you tell me the best way to hardwire this up on an auto trail.

If taken from habitation side there would be no power when engine started therefore the dish would not be able to fold itself up if forgotten to lower before moving off.

If taken from the engine battery surely that would run the battery down when operating though I believe it only uses power when searching but what about the controller. How much would the drain on that be?

Has anyone actually witnessed the dish folding up when driving over 25 km? I can't see any reference to this in the online manual.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Normally the dish would get it's supply from the habitation batteries and have a separate ignition feed for the auto fold function.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Normally the dish would get it's supply from the habitation batteries and have a separate ignition feed for the auto fold function.

Can you explain more please Richard. There is only 1 power lead coming from the snipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
That's the end of my limited knowledge I'm afraid,there must be someone on here who can confirm that they have an auto fold function other than seeing what happens at 25mph!

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Snip does not have auto fold function as we know it but the Snipe 2 is supposed auto fold if its GPS detects a speed of over 15kmh.
However the Snipe will retract if you turn the power off and back on so it would be easy to rig up an interval timer relay from an ignition feed. Would need to remember to leave the power to it on. Wouldn't work for us as I always diss the power to things we are not using as we rarely use EHU.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Looks like you'll have to make yourself a big sign Sandra :LOL:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
When I recently wired mine in the new van the power cables were already in the appropriate cupboard but the power feed was basically taken off the 12v socket that was in the cupboard for the tv so this would be fed from the leisure batteries. If you already have a status to aerial or similar that you're now not going to use then perhaps you can take the power feed that fed that?

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My latest snipe pro has no auto fold . Apart from its supposed to fold when over a certain speed

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
After cutting the 12v ciggy plug off I took a live feed from a 12v socket, connected a toggle switch to it via the Snipe, so i basically just flick a switch then press the power button on the control pad to turn it on.... But i can say without a shadow of a doubt that these Snipe 2s do not fold down at 15/20/30/50/70 kmh, I drove through France a couple of weeks ago in blistering winds and rain doing up to 60/70 mph and i did this for over 100 miles - yes miles, it was only when we were talking about a film we had watched the night before that it jogged my memory that the fkin Snipe was still up, i pulled over on the next rest area (you know one of those where there is lots of them in France for you to rest - as long as you like = FREE - unlike the UK, 2hrs and pay up) was expecting the Snipe to be damaged in some way, rickety/wobbly - but still solid, i turned the power on the control panel to put Snipe in the home position, it went down as normal, i then put it back up to see if it still worked - it did, it found Astra 2 with ease... But then i got to thinking shall i leave it up with the power on the control panel still "On" This would test if it does go down when reaching 15/30 kmh - i proceeded and i reached 60mph and did this for a good mile and it still did not retract, so the long an short of it is "Always remember to put the dish down before driving" as the self retracting program does not work as it states it does !

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I contacted Snipe about it not self retracting at over 25kph. They replied and told me to upgrade the firmware which I had already done.

Another 2 emails to them were subsequently ignored.

Last week I accidentally left it up but when I got home it WAS folded away. At which point during my 40 odd miles or at what speed I don't know but it's certainly nothing like a few miles st 40mph I know that.

5 days later I go to start van and you've guessed it, flat battery. So a reminder now to make sure it's turned off before leaving van. I'm just glad it happened here this week and not on some aire in France.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi, can I ask quick question pls.
Mine worked perfectly down middle of France in June but I still cannot get channel listing saying what’s on, I get channel listing but not saying what is actually on without having to go into each channel or buy a day old paper !
Am I doing something wrong or do I need new tv? Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want an EPG you need to by a Freeview sat receiver, TV sat receivers and most of the 12v receivers are FTA tunners (free to air).

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
If you want an EPG you need to by a Freeview sat receiver, TV sat receivers and most of the 12v receivers are FTA tunners (free to air).
I think you will find that freeview and freesat are two completely different things, freeview you get from a Ariel ie. status and cannot be got on the continent. free sat is a service that you get from a satellite dish via a sat receiver

to answer the question regarding channel listings (EPG) we get them via our snipe 2 and Avtex built in sat receiver

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Thanks for updates.
Soooo, does that mean we need a new avtex tv with built in sat?
It’s 7yrs old so probably but works fine otherwise

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just looked on line and they are £160 Amazon, should I just put that amount towards new tv mayb?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back