Winter motorhome storage (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
newby
Sadly having just returned from Southern Spain we now need to store our motorhome for the winter. We have outside space but wondered if we should buy a motorhome cover for protection . Any other tips on winter storage in wet and rainy northern England would be appreciated.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've never used a cover and can see no reason to do so. Most people who have used them in the past don't after having them as because they don't fit "skin-tight" they move in the wind and can cause problems with the paintwork.

You never see motorhomes or caravans covered at a dealers!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Remove all traces of food, do a thorough drain down of all water systems, ventilate well, chock wheels and leave hand brake off. If you don`t have solar arrange regular trickle charge for the batteries.
Covers can cause damage to paint finish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Also leave all taps open in the middle, if any water is left trapped in the pipes it can then expand along the pipe and not split it.
I also leave a couple of vents slightly open to allow air flow and avoid condensation.
Fridge door open a bit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As well as damage TO the motorhome the motorhome can damage the cover....
Sat dish and solar panels can rub through then tear the expensive cover.
A cover is fine to keep dirt and bird turds off in a barn etc but that about all.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
No cover, taps and internal doors open, solar or trickle charge to batteries, and remove food unless you want visitors.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have an old electric greenhouse fan which I leave on at a low setting. So if a sudden cold snap arrives, the system, furnishings etc are fine and damp free.
As we do not want to leave the van unable to rise up to any occasion, we want it ready to go.

Nov 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New to it
This answers a question I was just about to post reference using a cover. It looks like it's a no.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back