Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have had my van for 4/5 years now & i sometimes leave it heated over the winter months , i have the Alde heating system so i still drain down & get rid of my water with the exception of the boiler. Does it make any difference through Dec, Jan & Feb just to drain down completely with no heating. Or best just to get rid of the water in the system & keep the boiler running occasionaly. I have done both & still not sure which really to stick with. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I fill with diesel, close all blinds , covers on wheels and wiper blades drain down water and leave heating on 7degs with all internal doors open and one small top vent on first catch.

OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thank you for that. I always have blinds shut, hopefull to get a few weekends before xmas hence why i don't drain down the boiler. Never heard of tyre covers is that why i needed 4 brand new tyers this year as we were on stop due to Covid-19? I will reduce my heating to 7 degrees guess 18 was too high?. Going back to tyre covers , any advice eg where best to get them & also how much of a difference they make ?My van is normally on stop 3 months every year, this year was different!🙄. Any advice is appreciated, please bear in mind i am a woman!🙈. I have had advice to take the tyres off & store them🤯. I certainly can't do that & my van is not off the road that long. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Diolch👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you for that. I always have blinds shut, hopefull to get a few weekends before xmas hence why i don't drain down the boiler. Never heard of tyre covers is that why i needed 4 brand new tyers this year as we were on stop due to Covid-19? I will reduce my heating to 7 degrees guess 18 was too high?. Going back to tyre covers , any advice eg where best to get them & also how much of a difference they make ?My van is normally on stop 3 months every year, this year was different!🙄. Any advice is appreciated, please bear in mind i am a woman!🙈. I have had advice to take the tyres off & store them🤯. I certainly can't do that & my van is not off the road that long. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Diolch👍

I have mine from my RV days, some RVers used them but don’t see many eurovans with them on . Supposed to protect tyre walls from UV light , possibly also some gain in winter by giving some protection to discs and pads.
Amazon , Towsure etc sell them.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm in the drain everything down totally and no heating camp
I put it on hook up every three weeks if I have not had it out for a run to charge batteries
I don't run the engine if I can't take it out for a drive to get the engine up to proper temperature

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I drain down the water, the heating is warm air so nothing to drain there, I switch off the battery charger (old van) and connect a modern battery charger with auto maintenance facility. Leave all cupboard doors open and the roof vent over the shower open and a window open a crack

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ventilation is all I need (and covers over wipers along with drain down). Can't think of any reason to put heating on whilst empty? Seen it discussed many many times.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We drain water system incl. boiler. No heating, no humidifier(can't dry the world). On EHU.

We leave bedding, cushions, clothes in and we have no damp problems, but we are far from the sea so maybe not such good idea in moister climates.

Geoff

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We drain water system incl. boiler. No heating, no humidifier(can't dry the world). On EHU.

We leave bedding, cushions, clothes in and we have no damp problems, but we are far from the sea so maybe not such good idea in moister climates.

Geoff
We're only about 100 metres from the sea but we leave everything in the van without problems, but of course we usually use the van all year round, should have been away this weekend but obviously have to wait until next month now!

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yep, I do all that. (leave cupboards open for ventilation, empty fridge and Thetford (easily missed) drain down Alde boiler, empty fresh water tank and leave taps open.)

Quick question on drain down procedure / order. If I empty the fresh water tank first, the Whale water pump wont work (cos there's no water in the tank) so I cant flush through the water in the pipes / taps which could freeze. So, if I run the pump with all the taps open before I empty the fresh water tank all that does is to pull water up from the tank leaving water in the pipes and taps.

What order do you drain down?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was at Alde on Tuesday having my heating serviced and asked them specifically about what to do in winter. They recommend that you should drain all of the water from the boiler and the rest of the water system even if you are planning to keep some heat on. That is because you may have an electrical problem that trips the breakers and/or run out of gas and in that case the water in the boiler taps pump etc may freeze and you are then in for a hefty bill.

They also said you can keep the heating on over winter, even with no water in the boiler, and set at a low temperature all the time if you want to without any problems. So that is what I am going to do.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
So if you if you leave the heating on over winter even at a low temp.where does that leave you with regard to condensation.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So if you if you leave the heating on over winter even at a low temp.where does that leave you with regard to condensation.

With a vent just cracked open , no problem.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Motorhomes on dealers forecourts don’t contain clothes and bedding etc which need to stay aired for an off the cuff trip. :giggle:
You may be right but it has never proved a problem for us.

But, there again, we use it all year round, not every day, but at least one trip per month in normal times.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally i think its stupid to heat an empty van it just causes condensation

Its airing it needs not heating

And dehumidifiers are even worse

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Further to our post above water drained down corks under wipers ( reason to drink wine) all clothes removed today will put charger on once a month to keep the batteries fully topped up solar does the rest.
ps went out to the car an hour ago solid ice will take ages clearing in morning

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Did I read "leave blinds down"? I wouldn't do that if it involves stretching the springs - leave them in a relaxed condition.
I only heat the day before departure. Those Alde circulation pumps are not cheap, so don't wear them out prematurely. Heating at other times is a waste of money.
Dealers don't heat their stock (unfortunately for those who want to view) - If it caused damage, they wouldn't do that. - Ventilate instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back