LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Few weeks time we may think about putting our van to bed for the winter...

We have a "Pro-Tec" all over cover...

Is it worth using it.... baring in mind we get bad winds coming in from the channel and all that sea salt in the air...

Would you use one..???? :smiley:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No, but we live 15 miles away from the coast and do use the van in Winter, also hopefully travelling to Spain at the end of December, but even If we lived on the coast I would not use one.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Chap who covered his caravan, in storage near our van, was told by the technician, who had to deal with the damp issues left on his caravan, ( still under warranty) that it was down to his caravan should not be covered, need to breathe!
I suppose old-mo it's an individual choice, we covered Zebedee 1st year we had him, 2nd year straps ripped off, due to high winds, I guess a tailored made one would be better than a generic cover :unsure: we have not covered him this year, just pesky mice to worry about!:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get it cleaned and a good quality wax to keep the salt off the paint and redo it in spring. Covers are neither easy to fit nor good for the vehicle paintwork. Plus you then still have the option of a day out in the van on dry frosty days. Judy gets to walk Daisy while you keep warm and put the kettle on

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I would say living on a hill as I do with constant SW winds that a cover would simply act as a constantly moving cloth rubbing the paint surface of my Van. Lets face it how many of us cloak our cars over winter! Paint has technically come along way and is particularly resilient to rain and UV. What it is not good at is abrasion which a cover might cause. If your van is parked under trees however I might consider it but in general for the reasons given above would avoid.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
It is probably the one gadget or extra that I haven't gone for. More people advise against them as they can scratch the surfaces minutely, as they move in the wind. And conversely, every time I look out of the upstairs window I see the muck on the roof of the van.

I don't do ladders, so anyone know of a mobile moho cleaning & waxing guy in the South East?

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Is it going cheap. 😀

Cost over £400... made to fit a "Vantage Neo" with clear covers over solar panels..

And side zip opening for sliding door..

Open to sensible offers.... :RollEyes:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you live in a sheltered area then I would stick it on, polish or wash it first then on, I know a few with old caravans 40 years old which look pristine because they are covered when not in use. The problems are usually from the cheap £100 non breathable covers not an expensive Protec one like yours.

It will be like new when you take it off, no debris under skylights no leaks from rain.

I would try it first before selling it for pennies.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t know if this is of any interest old-mo but we’ve had both our PVC’s coated by Tourershine. The recent one was £375 to include the roof. He did it on our drive in Sherborne. Nick reckons it protects the paintwork beautifully and makes it much easier to clean. Obviously it doesn’t protect underneath. Nick is a bit of a fusspot about the van so I know will have entered into a lengthy email conversation with the chap!! He used to be a one man band but now has his brother in law working with him.

We’re at Highlands End, will think of you, Judy and Daisy later when we’re on the front later.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We’re at Highlands End, will think of you, Judy and Daisy later when we’re on the front later.

Looks like you will have better weather than we did last week end.... Enjoy.... :drinks::hugs:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back