LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Currently travelling and noticed a few days ago the headlining above the offside "A" pillar seems damp to the touch. I've got a sneaking suspicion the windscreen seal is maybe leaking slightly. The basis for this suspicion is the headlining dried out over a couple of days despite there being heavy rain when I had the external screen covers on and pushed tight in under the luton. I'll test it with a hose later once it's dried out again to confirm.

Assuming this is the problem I'm currently awaiting a quote for removal and resealing of the screen when we get home however what's the best temporary fix pending this? And don't say drive around with the screen covers on!!!

It's a 2013 Fiat Ducato based vehicle and the screen appears to be "sat" on a rubber seal leaving a channel of around 6-7mm wide by 3-4mm deep. Given this channel it's not going to be easy to try and make a temporary fix with duct tape. Guess doing an overseal in the channel is probably the easiest solution but what sealant to use? Would guess "bathroom" type silicone is a no-no so what do the experts say?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The screen will be bonded in with an adhesive grant... that will be what you are refering to as the seal... a bed of adhesive.?.
The edge of the glass will sit proud of that creating the chanel you refere to... or thats what im visualising...
Can you not do as you suggest and run tape from body over gap on to the glass .. but i suspecr you would have to run it round the whole screen to be effective if you are driving..
Dont think the fitters will appreciate you using any sort of mastic if you want the screen removed cleaned and refitted... the non setting mastics would make a right mess and the pu adhesives are a non starter...
Silicone is most probably your best bet if thats the route you take but personally i wouldnt..
Andy.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So we had a very small windscreen leak and I used this stuff which I have
used in dingies as well.

Amazon product ASIN B003T6EJ9A
So far it has been successfull but I did ensure the screen and surrounding seal was very dry (a few days in 35degress heat sorted that out!) and I applied the soltuion about 5 to 6 times. We have been in some torrential rain storms since then and all good but I will wait until the end of the winter to be 100% sure!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hmm has something changed? Defo put the link in. The stuff you need to search for is 'captain tolley's creeping crack cure'.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hmm has something changed? Defo put the link in. The stuff you need to search for is 'captain tolley's creeping crack cure'.
It sis visible to anyone who hasn't got 'adblock' turned on:D2which you must have :LOL:

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Apologies for considerable delay in getting back but have been travelling and just got round to, hopefully, fixing.:(

Anyway, tried Capt Tolley (thanks @clanjones ). Used a syringe to apply however the "hole" was too big and the stuff appeared to be just running through.

Guy across from us was getting his windscreen replaced in his car so oft I wanders to have a word with the fitter. He wanders round to the back of his van and gives me a "big sausage" (no other word to describe it as that's what it looked like) of the adhesive they use to secure a new screen. How much? Behave yourself!(y)
Filled the gap at the corner where I thought the seal had eased away from the bodywork and after dried applied some more Capt Tolley to finish it off. It still leaked!:cry:

Resorted to using 3M duct tape (and a wee bit of blu tack at the end to seal the channel!) as suggested by @andy63 as an interim fix and it worked so confirmed my thoughts it was a windscreen leak and not from the rooflight \ marker lamp \ etc as suggested by manufacturer!

Upon closer inspection noticed a tiny gap just below where the seam joining the A pillar to the windscreen "lintel" is. So, squeezed in a bit more of the adhesive stuff and finished off with the Capt Tolley. After playing a hose on it for 5 - 10 minutes it still seems bone dry inside so .........(y)

Many thanks guys for your thoughts.

ps Autoglass guy said nope to resealing (as they guarantee for life!) so would need to be a new screen with the potential problems this could bring and nope not covered under insurance! Cost could be in the order of £300-400!:eek:(n) The guy fixing the neighbour's car screen said it would be around £150 for a new screen including fitting but will stick with my "temporary fix" and see how it goes for now.(y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So far Captain Tolley has cured the small windscreen leak we seemed to have. Fingers crossed!

Worthwhile being in the the toolbox.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back