Win7 Install problems, scotjimland are you there? (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mentioned in Gooneys Seagate thread, I installed a new 1TB hard drive into the laptop recently, I said at the time it didn't accept the Product Key and I had 30 days to register etc. My wireless printer after working initially is now telling me it won't run on this OS. After another attempt to register MS are saying this OS cannot be used for a clean install, which is what I did, but for an upgrade only. Now I remember why the 7 disk was cheap at the time. :giggle:

So question is, if I can find the original disk with the Vista OS will it re-install and enable me to then upgrade with the 7 over that? Or am I better off buying a 7 disk with code and clean install off ebay for £35?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a £35 disk off eBay will be a copy and the first time Microsoft tries an up date it could well flag it as such and switch it off. Effectively locking your machine. Do be careful.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thanks for that Roger, the original 7 was a students upgrade bought through our school hence the price and the restrictions (upgrade only).

Broken Link Removed looks genuine enough and given 8 has been out, what, a couple of years, should be enough to pay for 7?
  • This item is an Original DELL Branded OEM Microsoft operating system installation DVD disc containing the full 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional.
  • This is NOT an upgrade version and you will not be able to upgrade from Windows XP or Vista straight to this Windows 7. This is clean install version only.
  • The software DVD is new and has never been installed on any computer.
  • The software is supplied with a genuine product key from a decommisioned machine which will only activate 1 PC. This is not a multi licence key. The key may show signs of wear
  • The software will install on any PC desktop or laptop/notebook computer which is capable of installing and running 32bit Windows 7. (Please check your system is capable of running 32bit version)
  • The software will install on self/custom built and other non-branded machines.
  • Will install on new machines or machines that have a new hard drive and/or no operating system.
  • Once installed and activated you will be able to receive full updates and support for your operating system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did the same recently, no problem with the install but all sorts of problems with 7. Because of extra security one of my must have programs would not run, just copying files can be a massive pain in the bum and you can't even click on a folder and expect it to open ( will with a fix applied ), you get "windows does not know how to open this type of file".

I got there in the end thanks to the internet.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
If it's an upgrade only package and you still have the full install of the previous OS then I would think that would be your best route. Stick Vista on and go straight into an upgrade for Win7.

Job done.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Was going to try that now my desks clear but friends have now suggested a New Year cruise so my mind is on other things. :doh:

Reactions: BwB

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If you are wanting to use win 7 then buy a full copy very soon as ms are pulling win7 & win8 from sale very soon the ony one on salewill be win 8.1 untill the new win 10 comes out end of next year.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes! That sounds a much better pastime than mucking about with MSWindows :)

You could install Cruise Med 15 and ifyou don't get on with that, you could upgrade to Cruise Caribbean 16 :)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I'm confused by the second sentence...

"This is not a multi licence key. The key may show signs of wear"

?????

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm confused by the second sentence...
"This is not a multi licence key. [you]The key may show signs of wear"[/you]?????

I imagine as it's a decommissioned machine that never reached the shelves after Win 8 appeared the disk will go back in it's case that shows signs of shelf life.

Anyway after mucking about for a couple of days on and off and not finding my Vista disk I finally got the pc to accept the product code. This website gave me a hack to do a clean install with upgrade disk. Not something that many of us will do often but may be a cheaper option in future where upgrades are cheaper than the full monty. Not for the faint hearted if you're not happy playing with the registry. :eek:

I'm still struggling with the printer but at least it installs now, just need to get it to talk to the desktop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back