Wildcamping a Beginners Guide (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why do you think that's more likely to happen in a remote wild spot than it is in a big company stalag?

I've never been accosted or had anything stolen on a site.. but had a window broken at Aldeburgh .. middle of the night and was awakened by loud banging and shouting.. that was a scary event and put us both off wilding .. and had two bikes stolen on aires.. not saying that it's more likely, just a fact

My take on it is this.. if you don't wild camp with your motorhome, you may as well have a caravan.. and this is the main reason we have now sold our motorhome and gone back to caravanning ..

In the UK we generally stay on CLs, I don't think Jim would consider his site a Stalag ..

With a caravan will have the use of a car for sightseeing and shopping etc.. we can go anywhere we went with the motorhome, we toured extensively abroad with caravans before we started motorhoming.. only drawback is not being able to use campingcar aires.. but these are only overnight stops not destinations.

Our Hymer Nova caravan has all the facilities of the motorhome., including onboard fresh and waste tanks, huge washroom with separate shower.. at 4.7mt internal length it is more spacious than our B644 Hymer was..

summing up.. my view.. :

Motorhome = touring and wild camping for one or two nights.

Caravan = stopping on sites for as long as you want. Enjoying cooking outdoors, relaxing and going out for the day cycling, walking or in the car to explore the local area.

no right or wrong.. pros and cons for both .. just what suites you ..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Caravan = stopping on sites for as long as you want. Enjoying cooking outdoors, relaxing and going out for the day cycling, walking or in the car to explore the local area.

Which of those things can't be done equally well with a motorhome?

In the UK we generally stay on CLs, I don't think Jim would consider his site a Stalag ..

You always try that one and it always fails (y) When have I ever referred to any kind of CL type location in those terms? You know perfectly well what I'm referring to.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Why do you think that's more likely to happen in a remote wild spot than it is in a big company stalag?

I hear what you are saying Nick, just one thing comes to mind, Public, easy unfettered access, that said I am not gonna knock it till I've tried it, I guess for many it's part of the experience, Hey truck drivers do it all the time!! Thanks

Ady

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Apart from being gassed in your van. Have a search on Google for reports of people attacked in a motorhome. I never ever seen any reported events.

I am taking the gassing with a great pinch of salt, I am more worried about the dog gassing me!!

Ady

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The biggest problem I have encountered, that seems to be increasing, is that 'doggers' are taking over a lot of the safe places ... and they don't give a damn how uncomfortable they make you feel as they peer into your mh. :(

Is that a predominantly british thing or does it happen abroad too?

Ady

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I've never been accosted or had anything stolen on a site.. but had a window broken at Aldeburgh .. middle of the night and was awakened by loud banging and shouting.. that was a scary event and put us both off wilding .. and had two bikes stolen on aires.. not saying that it's more likely, just a fact

My take on it is this.. if you don't wild camp with your motorhome, you may as well have a caravan.. and this is the main reason we have now sold our motorhome and gone back to caravanning ..

With a caravan will have the use of a car for sightseeing and shopping etc.. we can go anywhere we went with the motorhome, we toured extensively abroad with caravans before we started motorhoming.. only drawback is not being able to use campingcar aires.. but these are only overnight stops not destinations.

Our Hymer Nova caravan has all the facilities of the motorhome., including onboard fresh and waste tanks, huge washroom with separate shower.. at 4.7mt internal length it is more spacious than our B644 Hymer was..

summing up.. my view.. :

Motorhome = touring and wild camping for one or two nights.

no right or wrong.. pros and cons for both .. just what suites you ..
Agree with most of this but we found the fresh water /waste a pain when we had a caravan .Having said that you still get people on here who use a wateringcan to fill/bucket to empty their motorhome which I just can't understand unless they are the sit in a sun longer all day types and get bored!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
you still get people on here who use a watering can to fill

I use a watering can to fill my water tank.

I have several very good reasons why but I feel it would be a waste of my time to explain as each of us have our own methods and reasons for using them.

JJ :cool:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Apart from being gassed in your van. Have a search on Google for reports of people attacked in a motorhome. I never ever seen any reported events.

Not quite so, now I don't want to worry anyone & sadly the event below happened in my own area, but I've never had the slightest problem when wild camping.

If you weigh up how many people wild camp in the UK & abroad the chance of problems are minuscule, remember that more people are attacked in their own homes.

@WESTY66 put "Gods own county" on his profile well that tells us nothing, so its very difficult to say if where he'd like to make camp is safe.
There are a few areas where I certainly wouldn't be comfortable wild camping.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...os_s_killer_Life_for_man_who_killed_tourist_/

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In recent years motorhoming has become one of the most popular leisure pursuits. Twenty years ago there was nowhere near the amount of motorhomes trundling around Europe and those that were were welcomed by locals for the extra income they brought in. Nowadays a motorhome is not considered a luxury item as it was years ago and we have become a victim of our own success. Gone are the days of parking on the Spanish beaches, unless you know of the odd quiet ones away from civilisation. Even the famous Taghazout beach has stopped camping, partly because they now have huge campsites set up, which they didnt years ago. I consider myself very lucky to have retired young and able to enjoy the glory days of wilding, when you could tour the beaches of Spain and Morocco without being moved on. The internet has a lot to be blamed for, as wilders were putting lists of wild campings up and a year later the place was full. Another year later a height barrier was erected. A year after the height barrier, local councils passed a bylaw banning overnight parking. Am sorry to say, but there are just too many of us, and what few of the old school that are left do not pass on information regarding good wilding spots. I was lucky as for several years I travelled with an old Dutchman that knew every nook and cranny from La Perthus to Gibraltar and from Amsterdam to the Nordcap where you could safely dump and get fresh water and he knew every wilding in Europe. Of course wilding is still possible and with care is as safe as anywhere else. You would not park your van in the centre of Liverpool and wander off shopping, so why do it in Barcelona.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have only just come across Jim's original post and this thread.

I think Jim wrote very well on the subject and we do our wildcamping in exactly the way he describes. We also use Aires/Stellplatz.

As for security in really wild spots, I have always worked on the basis that scumbags are hardly likely to drive miles into the countryside in the hope that they may come across an individual MH which has good pickings and no vicious dog on board. They are more likely to seek out a collection of vehicles which are not too distant and choose the easiest.

We have been wildcamping for 9 years and the only scary time was by a lake in Slowakia when we were woken by a 'banging' noise - no persons in view - turned out it was the Truma heater having a start-up hiss.:D

Geoff

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not quite so, now I don't want to worry anyone & sadly the event below happened in my own area, but I've never had the slightest problem when wild camping.

If you weigh up how many people wild camp in the UK & abroad the chance of problems are minuscule, remember that more people are attacked in their own homes.

@WESTY66 put "Gods own county" on his profile well that tells us nothing, so its very difficult to say if where he'd like to make camp is safe.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...os_s_killer_Life_for_man_who_killed_tourist_/

A woman ran screaming from the court!!!!! What the .....

I wanna catch her and give her a thump ... silly woman ... Did she think he'd get 100 lines. ..

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Nah then, Gods own county is Yorkshire m'duck

Ady

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
Before anyone says it.....'Holy thread rivival'

There's likely to be a bit of it in this section as I'm about to get my first MH and join in, absolutely love the idea of remote woodlands, waterside locations. Great guide BTW.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
absolutely love the idea of remote woodlands, waterside locations.

Yes motorhomes certainly wouldn't be as much fun without a bit of wild camping. It's easy to do in the UK. especially either side of the summer. Little beach/reservoir/forest/riverside carparks in early May or late September are a delight.

Reactions: JJ
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have stopped telling folks where I park or even when I free camp as it cusses so much shxxxt on Theas forums now probably I will just like many on her wilt away.
As more and more of my spots seem to be disappearing in a sea of litter we went away last week and a full black bag of litter we picked up of polish and Romanian beer cans and bottle's.
I know it could be any one but it's now spoiled for every one as I wont be going back to that one any more
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back