Wildax replace gas with lithium (1 Viewer)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Watched the 2021 model virtual launch yesterday from the factory, interesting to see them now offer a ‘gas free’ option, but also what they think is a workable specification. It includes,

diesel/electric truma
2 x 100 amp lithium
2 x 150 solar
50 amp b2b
3000w inverter wired to all sockets
2 x induction hobs
microwave
large compressor fridge

believe the upgrade price is c£5000. Sounds like a good workable solution, sure we will see more of this from other manufacturers going forward.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Watched the 2021 model virtual launch yesterday from the factory, interesting to see them now offer a ‘gas free’ option, but also what they think is a workable specification. It includes,

diesel/electric truma
2 x 100 amp lithium
2 x 150 solar
50 amp b2b
2 x induction hobs
microwave
large compressor fridge

believe the upgrade price is c£5000. Sounds like a good workable solution, sure we will see more of this from other manufacturers going forward.
A good start but I think I would want to at least double the Lithium and more solar if there was room:giggle:

I think we will be chucking out the gas kettle soon as we use electric off the inverter all the time now, I have also just fitted an induction hob for outside use so will see how that goes but we will have 420ah of LiFePO4 very soon so that is over 5kWh.

I don't think the available power will be the limiting factor but the limit of the 3kw inverter as once we are boiling the kettle at 2.4kw it doesn't leave much headroom for anything else, our inverter will max out at 5kw for a short period but a beeper at 3kw would be nice to reming us to be careful.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I still think you will need hook up, especially in the darker months.

That amount of solar might manage 15 amps on a sunny day for about 8 hours.

Making one coffee uses 20ah from mine. That sort of use isn’t viable for cooking meals and using a compressor fridge as well without lots of driving, sunny days or hook up.

Not knocking it, some people will love it and gas is inconvenient to change or fill. Bailey did a caravan that was electric only except the hob a few years back. It didn’t last long and was dropped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That amount of solar might manage 15 amps on a sunny day for about 8 hours.

Making one coffee uses 20ah from mine. That sort of use isn’t viable for cooking meals and using a compressor fridge as well without lots of driving, sunny days or hook up.
I know in October in the UK we can use 30a/h a day.
With the induction hob, microwave, compressor fridge & electric kettle that would probably double the power required, get into December one or two nights would be pushing it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A good start but I think I would want to at least double the Lithium and more solar if there was room:giggle:

I think we will be chucking out the gas kettle soon as we use electric off the inverter all the time now, I have also just fitted an induction hob for outside use so will see how that goes but we will have 420ah of LiFePO4 very soon so that is over 5kWh.

I don't think the available power will be the limiting factor but the limit of the 3kw inverter as once we are boiling the kettle at 2.4kw it doesn't leave much headroom for anything else, our inverter will max out at 5kw for a short period but a beeper at 3kw would be nice to reming us to be careful.
800 watt kettle Martin, nicely boils 2 cups in less than 10 minutes. The trouble with a big one is that you re boiling water you don't need.

AFAIK Wildaxs are all PVC's so they struggle with Space to get any more solar on. I don't see why you couldnt supplement with a suitcase panel though

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
800 watt kettle Martin, nicely boils 2 cups in less than 10 minutes. The trouble with a big one is that you re boiling water you don't need.

AFAIK Wildaxs are all PVC's so they struggle with Space to get any more solar on. I don't see why you couldnt supplement with a suitcase panel though
I couldn't wait 10 minutes for a cup of coffee Jon ;) and that would then be 20 minutes for a pot of tea for 4 :LOL:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I would be interested to know how Wildax came to such a combo; i.e. what type of camping style were they intending to be conducted by the end user, and in which country, what power consumption calculations and usage etc.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It would certainly put me off buying one if that was the only option. I do like having the option of gas or electric. To me the more choices re fuel the better. If someone did a gas, electric or diesel heating and hot water boiler that would be great to me.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I would be interested to know how Wildax came to such a combo; i.e. what type of camping style were they intending to be conducted by the end user, and in which country, what power consumption calculations and usage etc.
They've always said 'offgrid' in their PR, but of course, not for how long.

I suspect they're just putting their toe in the water... perhaps because of the perception of lpg availability.

It would be good if they added a B2B to the specification.

I have a 120W panel & 2x 100ah batteries in my Wildax Aurora.
Not much room for another panel, unless TV aerial relocated.
3 way fridge, gas cooking, 2 way heating.
Never got close to running out of electrickery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would expect that to be part of the standard build as Fiat's for conversion have has smart alternators since the Euro 6D engine & Mercs for years.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They've always said 'offgrid' in their PR, but of course, not for how long.

I suspect they're just putting their toe in the water... perhaps because of the perception of lpg availability.

I have a 120W panel & 2x 100ah batteries in my Wildax Aurora.
Not much room for another panel, unless TV aerial relocated.
3 way fridge, gas cooking, 2 way heating.
Never got close to running out of electrickery.
B2B is listed at 50amps as part of the spec in the original post.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
B2B is listed at 50amps as part of the spec in the original post.
In the standard van they have a 30amp Votronic b2b along with 2 Banner 100 amp Lead Acid batteries. They get supplied by Roadpro (so Andy Harris tells me) so I assume it will be the Votronic 50amp version.

not sure what lithium batteries they will use, Roadpro supply NDS from Italy, but they may get them from their parent company Rapido who I think use the same as supplied by Morelo.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I couldn't wait 10 minutes for a cup of coffee Jon ;) and that would then be 20 minutes for a pot of tea for 4 :LOL:
As I know you won't rest until you know Martin I've timed it. Our Mh kettle which is actually 600w takes 6 minutes to boil 1/2 litre water our 3kw house kettle take 1 min 40s to boil the same amount (y)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There are lots of questions being asked of the CEO already and you can have the VOLT pack but still have a normal cooker and 3 way fridge. You’d then need an lpg tank as well of course. We like our IH630RD but always like looking at alternatives and love the bathroom on the Europa, no curtain, no flip up sink. Although the manual is on a Citroen the full Automatic is on a Fiat. There are a few old “new” Renault masters around. You can tell which ones they are as the drivers seat doesn’t swivel so you don’t get the “man cave”, look at Nick Whale if you’re interested.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds like a set up that might be ok for aires in the summer with a BBQ but I recon off site in the autumn and spring would be difficult for more than a couple of days especially if you cook a lot.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

diesel/electric truma
2 x 100 amp lithium
2 x 150 solar
50 amp b2b
2 x induction hobs
microwave
large compressor fridge

That's the sort of spec I'd be going for if I was building my own van. I'd probably want a 3rd battery & a Victron inverter/charger, but otherwise spot on. It's difficult to get much more solar on a PVC if you also want roof lights.

I must have a look - last time I looked at Wildax they didn't have a suitable layout for us. That sounds a lot extra though, considering we are only looking at the differential from the usual kit.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That sounds a lot extra though, considering we are only looking at the differential from the usual kit.
On cost of the upgrade I’d reckoned,

£2000. Net upgrade from lead to lithium, they are nds batteries.
£800. Nds 3000 watt invertor wired to all sockets etc.
£500. Additional solar 150w

replacement truma, gas hob to induction, no oven, no gas tank.

so probably £3000 ish extra for a charge of £5000ish, agree it sounds a bit pricy, but again all warranted for 3 years by manufacturers.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I would expect that to be part of the standard build as Fiat's for conversion have has smart alternators since the Euro 6D engine & Mercs for years.
And so I thought Lenny too, my 2019 version doesnt, and when I looked into it some manufacturers requested standard alternators for the pre built vans

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On cost of the upgrade I’d reckoned,

£2000. Net upgrade from lead to lithium, they are nds batteries.
£800. Nds 3000 watt invertor wired to all sockets etc.
£500. Additional solar 150w

replacement truma, gas hob to induction, no oven, no gas tank.

so probably £3000 ish extra for a charge of £5000ish, agree it sounds a bit pricy, but again all warranted for 3 years by manufacturers.
It’s two solar panels. I don’t think any come as standard on the van which is surprising if the compressor fridge is standard.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

We have never used a gas kettle but have this

Kenwood Travel Kettle 800 Watt JKM075​

Amazon
Unfortunately its not been available for a while. We manage the volume of water to suit the need and although it takes longer to boil it gives us extra payload out of the inverter at any given time as well as ensuring that we are not testing its production envelope.

If anyone finds this online I would be be pleased to get the link.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have never used a gas kettle but have this

Kenwood Travel Kettle 800 Watt JKM075​

Amazon
Unfortunately its not been available for a while. We manage the volume of water to suit the need and although it takes longer to boil it gives us extra payload out of the inverter at any given time as well as ensuring that we are not testing its production envelope.

If anyone finds this online I would be be pleased to get the link.
No longer available according to Kenwood web site so I think you will struggle now Michael.

Depends how badly you want one I suppose, https://www.samstores.com/product-k...km075-50hrz-polished-metal-220-240-25841.html

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our electric kettle is stainless steel 800 Watts only use off the inverter to have brew on the Chunnel or at the docks when the gas is off.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's the sort of spec I'd be going for if I was building my own van. I'd probably want a 3rd battery & a Victron inverter/charger, but otherwise spot on. It's difficult to get much more solar on a PVC if you also want roof lights.

I must have a look - last time I looked at Wildax they didn't have a suitable layout for us. That sounds a lot extra though, considering we are only looking at the differential from the usual kit.
Makes you wonder if lithium had come first and electric vehicles would diesel/gas have caught on. The big change is going to be when we get electric vehicles and the main battery being used for leisure and propulsion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back