Wildax replace gas with lithium (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Dec 14, 2021
East anglia
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora XL Aut
Exp
Puppy class
They've always said 'offgrid' in their PR, but of course, not for how long.

I suspect they're just putting their toe in the water... perhaps because of the perception of lpg availability.

It would be good if they added a B2B to the specification.

I have a 120W panel & 2x 100ah batteries in my Wildax Aurora.
Not much room for another panel, unless TV aerial relocated.
3 way fridge, gas cooking, 2 way heating.
Never got close to running out of electrickery.
Hi Langtoftlad. I think i have briefly spoken to you once about the WildAx Aurora via this site. After 18months of researching campers, the WildAx Aurora XL (Fixed bed version) is still sitting at the top of my list. Before I commit to an increasingly expensive order, can I ask you what your options are of them ie, -
*build quality
*what your payload is,
*what is the exact length of the fixed bed
*roughly how long can you get out of a full gas tank on an average use and have you found gas difficult to find at garages?
I ask this as I am also considering their voltpqck but going on these comments, WildAx voltpack could struggle in autumn/winter.
Decisions decisions!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In the standard van they have a 30amp Votronic b2b along with 2 Banner 100 amp Lead Acid batteries. They get supplied by Roadpro (so Andy Harris tells me) so I assume it will be the Votronic 50amp version.

not sure what lithium batteries they will use, Roadpro supply NDS from Italy, but they may get them from their parent company Rapido who I think use the same as supplied by Morelo.

I wonder if Wildax are being used by Rapido to market test this gas-free spec option.

If it succeeds it could be rolled out to the Dreamer and Rapido Van ranges.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
Hi Langtoftlad. I think i have briefly spoken to you once about the WildAx Aurora via this site. After 18months of researching campers, the WildAx Aurora XL (Fixed bed version) is still sitting at the top of my list. Before I commit to an increasingly expensive order, can I ask you what your options are of them ie, -
*build quality
*what your payload is,
*roughly how long can you get out of a full gas tank on an average use and have you found gas difficult to find at garages?
I ask this as I am also considering their voltpqck but going on these comments, WildAx voltpack could struggle in autumn/winter.
Decisions decisions!

We have just bought a Solaris XL and are really disappointed with the build quality and their customer service to be honest. I think it's going to be a long road ahead to get it sorted, there are many issues.

It could be that we have just been unlucky with the build quality but you can't say the same about their service.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have just bought a Solaris XL and are really disappointed with the build quality and their customer service to be honest. I think it's going to be a long road ahead to get it sorted, there are many issues.

It could be that we have just been unlucky with the build quality but you can't say the same about their service.
Who are you dealing with at the factory? We have found Lisa in Aftersales v helpful and have had warranty work completed at the factory. What are your problem issues?
Bill

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Who are you dealing with at the factory? We have found Lisa in Aftersales v helpful and have had warranty work completed at the factory. What are your problem issues?
Bill
Unfortunately there's a long, long list.

The icing on the cake was the full interior frame surrounding the window on the hab door falling off in front of my eyes. I'm dealing with someone in aftersales and yes, I am to take it in for it all to be done. I received a two line email saying bring it in, this is after I put in a formal complaint. No escalation to someone higher as requested and not one single apology for the inconvenience!

I'm sure I would have had more remorse/interest from someone if they overcooked my steak in a restaurant which I was paying 20quid for 😂

I'm up to around 11/12 issues, all with build quality which I didn't expect on a £60k plus vehicle which had around 250 miles on the clock and hadn't even left the drive. As you can tell I'm pretty peeved!!

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I only use gas to cook but do have an induction hob for when solar is good. I have 2x100Ah Lifepo4, 2x150W solar and 30A b2b. I have the 110ltr Waeco that uses maybe double the power of the new 50ltr and it’s extremely rare I can go more than two and a half days without getting my generator out for maybe 5 months of the year. Oh yes, I also have an additional 100W folding solar.

All electric isn’t workable year round in the U.K. unless you are constantly moving enough to top up battery’s or on EHU or genny. Well unless you don’t switch anything on of course 👍

I know someone with 1200W on their roof (flat) with 400Ah Lifepo4 and they manage two and a half days but use a lot more power than me. You will spot engine running second day parked unless it’s summer.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Watched the 2021 model virtual launch yesterday from the factory, interesting to see them now offer a ‘gas free’ option, but also what they think is a workable specification. It includes,

diesel/electric truma
2 x 100 amp lithium
2 x 150 solar
50 amp b2b
3000w inverter wired to all sockets
2 x induction hobs
microwave
large compressor fridge

believe the upgrade price is c£5000. Sounds like a good workable solution, sure we will see more of this from other manufacturers going forward.
Agree.Can see gas being much less attractive particularly for those motorhomers taking a longer term view but I'd need a bit more storage

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

The icing on the cake was the full interior frame surrounding the window on the hab door falling off in front of my eyes. I'm dealing with someone in aftersales and yes, I am to take it in for it all to be done. I received a two line email saying bring it in, this is after I put in a formal complaint. No escalation to someone higher as requested and not one single apology for the inconvenience!

I'm sure I would have had more remorse/interest from someone if they overcooked my steak in a restaurant which I was paying 20quid for 😂

I'm up to around 11/12 issues, all with build quality which I didn't expect on a £60k plus vehicle which had around 250 miles on the clock and hadn't even left the drive. As you can tell I'm pretty peeved!!
I would hand it back, full refund , I know that’s a pain, but wouldn’t ever trust it again, this may just be the start, better get wissel to build you one👍

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004

That’s really disappointing. We have had a few trim issues, catches, door locks etc but all were fixed ok with one trip to the factory. Hope the same for your good selves.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What heater have they fitted? Is there a shower? Is it only designed for site's?

Handy calculator here. https://bloglocation.com/art/water-heating-calculator-for-time-energy-power

I was expecting it to need more. 1.28Kwh to heat 20 litres of water from 5°C to 60°C

I think having a 5KWh battery and 500Watts of solar sound like a prime target for an all electric van?
Oh not forgetting a 50Amp B2B to charge while driving.

1662219810566.png

Edit: Just checked. I thought 20 litres was on the low side. Turns out most motorhomes have 10 litres at 60°C capacity.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Buying a Wildax now is a completely different proposition to when I bought mine in 2017.
It was bought direct, built in a different factory, on a base vehicle that is no longer available to Wildax

*build quality
*what your payload is,
Decisions decisions!
Build quality is adequate. I initially had a few snags but they were dealt with promptly. Since then, nothing has broken, fallen off or become unstuck.
Payload depends on the exact configuration - I never managed to get it to a weighbridge empty, after collection. But fully laden for a trip, full tanks etc etc I had about 50kg to spare [three different weighs, three different trips]. I've uprated to 3850kg
I think my bed is 6'2" but I'm sure you can ask them. The enforced change in base vehicle might make a difference.
LPG - I've never run out! I tend to do 4 or 5 night trips, not too much cooking, not too much heating. I would estimate 6-10 days is realistic in the summer, perhaps half that if you cook a lot in the winter.
Never had any real issue with getting lpg - I tend to top up whenever I see an outlet and I'm lucky that there's several around me.

Dec 14, 2021
East anglia
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora XL Aut
Exp
Puppy class
Buying a Wildax now is a completely different proposition to when I bought mine in 2017.
It was bought direct, built in a different factory, on a base vehicle that is no longer available to Wildax

Build quality is adequate. I initially had a few snags but they were dealt with promptly. Since then, nothing has broken, fallen off or become unstuck.
Payload depends on the exact configuration - I never managed to get it to a weighbridge empty, after collection. But fully laden for a trip, full tanks etc etc I had about 50kg to spare [three different weighs, three different trips]. I've uprated to 3850kg
I think my bed is 6'2" but I'm sure you can ask them. The enforced change in base vehicle might make a difference.
LPG - I've never run out! I tend to do 4 or 5 night trips, not too much cooking, not too much heating. I would estimate 6-10 days is realistic in the summer, perhaps half that if you cook a lot in the winter.
Never had any real issue with getting lpg - I tend to top up whenever I see an outlet and I'm lucky that there's several around me.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't understand why an all-electric van would feature even as a design exercise. Surely the intention for an off-grid van should be to pack in as much power as possible. Relatively massive amounts of power packaged in a lightweight form is available from Diesel fuel and LPG. The same cannot be said of electricity stored in any type of battery. The only power issue off-grid is electrical so it makes sense to make use of it only when other sources of power are unusable / very inconvenient. So I would suggest any heat requirement (cooking or comfort) is best served by LPG or Diesel. That leaves electricity to do what it does best - even that requires a decent battery capacity and substantial solar charging. Why design difficulties?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't understand why an all-electric van would feature even as a design exercise. Surely the intention for an off-grid van should be to pack in as much power as possible. Relatively massive amounts of power packaged in a lightweight form is available from Diesel fuel and LPG. The same cannot be said of electricity stored in any type of battery. The only power issue off-grid is electrical so it makes sense to make use of it only when other sources of power are unusable / very inconvenient. So I would suggest any heat requirement (cooking or comfort) is best served by LPG or Diesel. That leaves electricity to do what it does best - even that requires a decent battery capacity and substantial solar charging. Why design difficulties?

Tony

That sums up my thoughts exactly.

Goff

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Ref the comments about using an electric kettle..... Much better idea to use a kettle that sits on the hob - and use an Induction Hob :)
Saves carrying two kettles as can use the same one on Electric or Gas, and an Induction Hob is just as efficient as a Plug-in Kettle. I used to set up kettle on the Induction at around 400W, put two cups of waters worth in it and by the time I got the tea bags out, sugar, cups, milk etc, the water was just coming to the boil.
(PS. If I used the gas hob, it would take a lot longer!)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The inverter at full whack would flatten the batteries in not a lot more than half an hour and would take more than a day to recharge from solar even at height of summer. Might work as long as you moved on every day. I would have thought it more practical with a diesel hob.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I use an electric travel kettle run off a pair of 120AH Lithium through a 1500W inverter. Replenished by 3x 100W solar panels. Has proved adequate so far. It's the microwave when used, which is on for a bit longer that gives the batteries a good workout.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think this is a cracking good specification. Although I maybe want a little more battery.

If you travel every day or every other day the B2B should do the bulk of the charging. The solar panels I think are perhaps surplus to requirements especially in winter?
That is not to say they should do away with solar as it does extend the time between drives.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I have been keeping an eye on RP Motorhomes, they do stunning conversions on Mercedes including 4 wheel drive.
They now offer a full victron electric upgrade,
Diesel truma
Induction hob
Large compressor fridge
Micowave
400amp lithium
8000w inverter!!
350w solar
B2b
Monitoring screen etc

Upgrade cost on top of the £156k list price, £14k!!

Wow.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I have been keeping an eye on RP Motorhomes, they do stunning conversions on Mercedes including 4 wheel drive.
Diesel truma
Induction hob
Large compressor fridge
Micowave
400amp lithium
8000w inverter!!
350w solar
B2b
Monitoring screen etc

Wow.
I to have been looking at these ....... must try not to sell the house and buy one!

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
800 watt kettle Martin, nicely boils 2 cups in less than 10 minutes. The trouble with a big one is that you re boiling water you don't need.

AFAIK Wildaxs are all PVC's so they struggle with Space to get any more solar on. I don't see why you couldnt supplement with a suitcase panel though
Jug kettles are better than the conventional shape as you boil only what you need due to their shape.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Diesel truma
Induction hob
Large compressor fridge
Micowave
400amp lithium
8000w inverter!!
350w solar
B2b
Monitoring screen etc

Wow.

This is what my brother in law has got his eye on!! Wow indeed 👀

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Provided you don't want to wild camp in the same spot for days at a time, I think it's viable. As soon as you drive, your batteries will charge pretty quickly. I think it'd be a viable solution for the way I use the van.

Eliminating a whole system of gas storage, gas lines and the safety certifications required will take some complexity out of the build too. It makes more sense for PVCs with limited space.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Provided you don't want to wild camp in the same spot for days at a time, I think it's viable. As soon as you drive, your batteries will charge pretty quickly. I think it'd be a viable solution for the way I use the van.

Eliminating a whole system of gas storage, gas lines and the safety certifications required will take some complexity out of the build too. It makes more sense for PVCs with limited space.
Could still take 4 or 5 hours to charge from 50% though even with 100A B2B, good spec but a bit limiting for more than a few days off grid as you say, unless you run the generator of course.

EDIT maybe I read that wrong and the Victron is the 240v power generator with additional alternator, running at 24v possibly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back