Why the love of the Fiat Ducato? (1 Viewer)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
As a newbie to the site, I'm interested in why the majority of motorhome manufacturers go for the Fiat Ducato.
If I was going to buy a car, no disrespect to fiat car owners, a Fiat would be would be way down on my list. ( I do like the look of the little 500 though!)
The fiat Ducato dosen't even come in the top 10 of vans sales in the UK.
In Europe, its sister company IVECO, gets to No4 for truck sales in Europe.
The companies who make comparable chassis, The Transit van is the most popular van in the uk, followed by Mercedes, Volkswagen, Renault then Peugeot.
What is it, that makes the Fiat Ducato an ideal motorhome van, but according the vast majority of businesses in Europe who buy vans, no good for them?

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
By the way welcome , and what a good choice of Dog you have ( I might be slightly biased !! )

Had 2 coach built campers one on the fiat front wheel drive and one on the transit twin rear wheel drive. Never had a fiat before but it was fine we went all over Europe in skiing in it no problems ( got stuck in some mud in a car park once but that was it )
The transit was also great , rear wheel drive felt nicer on the road and we never had to put chains on unlike the fiat.

Now have a Fiat A class on the 3.0ltr 160 tag axle , ( i said i only wanted rear wheel drive but very few available on a limited number of campers ) The fiat seems fine no problems drives lovely and handles better than the ford over bumps. Would not worry about the base vehicle now , but on saying that might worry about the cost of repairs on a merc base vehicle .

Matt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
By the way welcome , and what a good choice of Dog you have ( I might be slightly biased !! )

Had 2 coach built campers one on the fiat front wheel drive and one on the transit twin rear wheel drive. Never had a fiat before but it was fine we went all over Europe in skiing in it no problems ( got stuck in some mud in a car park once but that was it )
The transit was also great , rear wheel drive felt nicer on the road and we never had to put chains on unlike the fiat.

Now have a Fiat A class on the 3.0ltr 160 tag axle , ( i said i only wanted rear wheel drive but very few available on a limited number of campers ) The fiat seems fine no problems drives lovely and handles better than the ford over bumps. Would not worry about the base vehicle now , but on saying that might worry about the cost of repairs on a merc base vehicle .

Matt
Thanks Matt,
You have impeccable taste in dogs.(y)(y) Never thought I was capable of loving an animal, like I love my Jess.

Thanks for comment, I don't think i'll worry about the fiat base. I just thought it strange that it had most of the market, but after all the replies, I can see why now.
Cheers Jezza

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We've had VW, Merc, Pug, Ford and Fiat and currently have Fiat Globecar. Fiat in my experience, is, by far, the best with Ford a close second. We would never consider another VW, Merc or Pug. Merc would be at the bottom of the list. Just take note of Merc delivery vans on the road, they rot away like wildfire.

Thanks Mitzimad,
What if it was an A class with Al-Ko chassis? Nothing left of the Merc to rust. Just engine and running gear.

I'm not sure that you can fit an ALKO chassis to a Merc, rear wheel drive, perhaps you can?

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks Left Hooker,

Fiat are fully engaged in Motorhome building and their after care is excellent.

You are about to get a nasty shock if you believe the above...maybe go back and look at a few aftercare threads when looking at clutch and gearbox issues.

There is nothing wrong with Fiat motorhomes nothing at all. In fact they are in cases a better option to convert to motorhomes.
But please dont kid yourself that the fiat is better than the Merc ....its not.. never has been and never will be.
Its a bit like the dacia duster... great car and will do the job.10000 owners will tell you they are great but i wouldnt have one over my audi.

As for ambulances etc using them? I can dispelle that myth straight away.. there was a directive to save money simple as that.some see this as saving money nothing more nothing less and not about quality as they are leased anyway for the most part.

As said ive owned both for a good few miles.. i can give a nice list of regular failures on the fiat..all fixable or just annoyances from juddering backwards to electricals and clutch and wheel bearing failures...all on different vans..
So far and 20k on the Merc and the only issue is me tyres keep letting out air when its stood..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
You are about to get a nasty shock if you believe the above...maybe go back and look at a few aftercare threads when looking at clutch and gearbox issues.

There is nothing wrong with Fiat motorhomes nothing at all. In fact they are in cases a better option to convert to motorhomes.
But please dont kid yourself that the fiat is better than the Merc ....its not.. never has been and never will be.
Its a bit like the dacia duster... great car and will do the job.10000 owners will tell you they are great but i wouldnt have one over my audi.

As for ambulances etc using them? I can dispelle that myth straight away.. there was a directive to save money simple as that.some see this as saving money nothing more nothing less and not about quality as they are leased anyway for the most part.

As said ive owned both for a good few miles.. i can give a nice list of regular failures on the fiat..all fixable or just annoyances from juddering backwards to electricals and clutch and wheel bearing failures...all on different vans..
So far and 20k on the Merc and the only issue is me tyres keep letting out air when its stood..

Thanks haganap,
I'll keep my eyes wide open. I won't kid myself that Fiats are better than Mercs.
It seems like anything, there are pros and cons for them all.

I think you said that the home you liked came with the Merc chassis. You were lucky then, coz there seems to be little choice of base vehicles.
If you look on ebay, auto trader, mobile.ed etc etc. most are on the Ducato.

If I had the choice, I would go for an A class on a Mercedes. but what do I know? NOTHING!!
That's why I ask the knowledgeable members.
Cheers

Upvote 0

nekarsulm

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autoroller -5.Fiat Ducato
Exp
ten years
Fiat have always built fantastic engines. Look as far back as the twin cam they put in the old 124 and mirafiori cars. Even the Ritmo had great engines, (body was terrible for rust though).
Iveco build some of the best diesel engines. Equal in quality and long service to anything built by Cummins or the German manufacturers.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks haganap,
I'll keep my eyes wide open. I won't kid myself that Fiats are better than Mercs.
It seems like anything, there are pros and cons for them all.

I think you said that the home you liked came with the Merc chassis. You were lucky then, coz there seems to be little choice of base vehicles.
If you look on ebay, auto trader, mobile.ed etc etc. most are on the Ducato.

If I had the choice, I would go for an A class on a Mercedes. but what do I know? NOTHING!!
That's why I ask the knowledgeable members.
Cheers

Ahhh now you will come to your next problem...

Yes i always wanted an a class..oh yes did I..
Then i found one a beautiful expensive MH that just happened to be on the much sought after Merc v6 3L auto..

It was that at 6 yrs old
Or
A brand new Bailey 740 or similar number for less money.

I opted for the A class and its a fantastic beautiful van with an awesome engine.. once i understood the damp issue the broken locks the failing bed struts and various other little bits and bobs i knew i had made the right choice...
Sounds odd ?

It is and i and anyone else who has the right van will tell you the same..i dont know why i didnt get the Bailey brand new but i just didnt and am so glad i didnt.

Whatever you choose choose well...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Ahhh now you will come to your next problem...

Yes i always wanted an a class..oh yes did I..
Then i found one a beautiful expensive MH that just happened to be on the much sought after Merc v6 3L auto..

It was that at 6 yrs old
Or
A brand new Bailey 740 or similar number for less money.

I opted for the A class and its a fantastic beautiful van with an awesome engine.. once i understood the damp issue the broken locks the failing bed struts and various other little bits and bobs i knew i had made the right choice..
Sounds odd ?

It is and i and anyone else who has the right van will tell you the same..i dont know why i didnt get the Bailey brand new but i just didnt and am so glad i didnt.

Whatever you choose choose well...
Thanks haganap,
Its like a teenager, going out into the wide world. I will take on all the advice like a sponge, but will must probably *u*f it up when buying my beloved home.
But hey ho, you live and learn.
thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have had THREE Mercedes Sprinters. a 2001, 2007 and our only ever brand new 2013.

Two RWD with 4 wheels on rear axle, one 4x2 RWD.

But As much as I love the MB Sprinter, especially the 3 litre V6 which we had two of and the bullet proof 2.7 5 cylinder. They have their problems. getting stuck in mud or snow is not usually one of them.

We now have our first Fiat Duato, 2000 MY and I love it, so far!. We have Michelin Winter tyres fitted, so I will let you know post winter.

I think with the exception of Frankia, everyone charges more for a Mercedes Chassis.

TM

Upvote 0

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
JUST EXCHANGED AN AUTOCRUISE FORTE 2015 WHICH WAS ON THE FIAT XLWB, ONE THING I LIKED WAS FIAT DID A THING CALLED CAMPER-ASSIST WHICH COVERED RECOVERY ETC EUROPE WIDE (NEVER HAD TO TEST IT IN ANGER FORTUNATELY!!) ALSO THE WARRANTY WAS BETTER THAN THE BOXER AT THE TIME I BOUGHT IT FROM LOWDHAMS, THINK THEY ARE ALL THE SAME NOW, PERHAPS THE OTHER FUNSTERS WILL HAVE MORE INFO ON THAT?????

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One of the advantages of the Ducato was that they would supply it as cab only, and for some manufacturers welded the cabs back to back. they could then fit their own chassis.

ducato-back-to-back.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
JUST EXCHANGED AN AUTOCRUISE FORTE 2015 WHICH WAS ON THE FIAT XLWB, ONE THING I LIKED WAS FIAT DID A THING CALLED CAMPER-ASSIST WHICH COVERED RECOVERY ETC EUROPE WIDE (NEVER HAD TO TEST IT IN ANGER FORTUNATELY!!) ALSO THE WARRANTY WAS BETTER THAN THE BOXER AT THE TIME I BOUGHT IT FROM LOWDHAMS, THINK THEY ARE ALL THE SAME NOW, PERHAPS THE OTHER FUNSTERS WILL HAVE MORE INFO ON THAT?????
Yes Fiat do give that on new Motorhomes it's all included when you buy new We had three years on Auto trail but only get two on imported Hymer but is peace of mind although touch wood haven't needed to use it.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Many makes can't supply cab only as the fuel tank is behind the cab, and the cost of complying with all the regs simply to move it is prohibitive for the motorhome manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One of the advantages of the Ducato was that they would supply it as cab only, and for some manufacturers welded the cabs back to back. they could then fit their own chassis.

View attachment 124536
Not welded - just bolted via the soon-to-be extended chassis mounting points.
Actually it was a failed attempt to design the ultimate 4x4. Nice try but the habitation area was a bit tight ;).

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I can't comment on a Merc as my Sprinter ownership was limited to 2 days before it was stolen, but I have owned 3 Transits and I currently own a 2006 Ducato van and a 1999 Fiat based Hymer. The older Transits I had both suffered mechanical problems and although the new one I owned in 2002 was very nice to drive I have yet to see one from that era that has not suffered seriously from rust. My Ducato is rust free and I can't fault either of my current Fiats despite their age. I would never buy another Transit but I've nothing but praise for the Fiats and I would happily try another Merc if the Moho I wanted was based on it.

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

View attachment 124536

That's how they are delivered to ALKO for them to fit the chassis.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd never buy a Merc.
3 litre Iveco power every time no matter what chassis and front or rear wheel drive options. While you can still get it that is!
If you want to do your own servicing and maintenance at real world prices avoid mercedes.
I do wonder what will heavy van converters do when it is no longer available (n)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'd never buy a Merc.
3 litre Iveco power every time no matter what chassis and front or rear wheel drive options. While you can still get it that is!
If you want to do your own servicing and maintenance at real world prices avoid mercedes.
I do wonder what will heavy van converters do when it is no longer available (n)
3 litre IVECO engine on the Rear Wheel Drive twin wheel IVECO chassis can be plated up to 7495 kg, the Merc is a relative lightweight as it can only run to about 5600kg.

Martin

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes but what happens when the 3 litre is dropped completely cos it can't meet euro 6? is my point

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'd never buy a Merc.

Now that does make me laugh..

You wouldnt buy a merc because you wouldnt be able to service and fix it yourself?? Pmsl

Dont take up a career in car sales... ive never ever in my life purchased a vechile of any description and thought "oh that will be tough to fix if it breaks"

I tend to choose mine on the basis of they wont break and leave consumable repairs to those that know how to service them and take that in to the thoughts of running cost..

This poor OP came on worried about buying a fiat and now hes worried about Fords Mercs Fiats Peaugot Renaults Ivecos !!!

I for one aint worried about any of the above....

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You wouldnt buy a merc because you wouldnt be able to service and fix it yourself?? Pmsl
Thank you for your thoughts but that isn't what I said.
Now go put some air in your tires :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back