Why are the vast majority of motorhomes & caravans white? (1 Viewer)

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Not PVCs of course. This came up on the Orange Adria Twin Mutual Appreciation thread (other colours matter), and it got me googling.

Some answers I've found:

A: it's cooler in summer
Q: so then it's cooler in winter too, not so much of an advantage in the UK. Also, I've seen black PVCs and they seem to manage.

A: dealers don't like multiple colours as they get stuck with the unloved ones
Q: surely the same for cars, and they come in many colours

A: From a production point of view, it is far more cost effective to produce all mouldings the same colour. This avoids paying additional costs for smaller quantities of pigment or prepigmented gel coat, it avoids the cost of holding various colours of raw materials in stock, and greatly reduces the chances of colour cross contamination during manufacture.
Q: OK, this is sounding more convincing - but isn't it the same for PVCs and cars? Why not paint or wrap them like cars & PVCs?

A: White pigment is cheaper
Q: Ditto for cars, then?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Easier to sell ice cream from:giggle:

But i guess many of us chase the sun (we do) and i suspect apart from those living on a damp island that having a white van is very practical in terms of heat control, far less people use them in Winter and even then it's easier to heat a van than cool it.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As you might expect, the Sevel factory manufactures white vans. Vans in other colours get painted in small batches. This in turn can mean longer delivery times if customers want MHs or PVCs in a colour other than white.

Silver ( Fiat calls it aluminium) was a cost option for ours. It ought to be similar to white for reflecting direct sunlight and helping keep the interior from getting too hot. Black though fashionable seems quite the opposite. Theirs must be baking hot inside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Not PVCs of course. This came up on the Orange Adria Twin Mutual Appreciation thread (other colours matter), and it got me googling.

Some answers I've found:

Q: so then it's cooler in winter too, not so much of an advantage in the UK. Also, I've seen black PVCs and they seem to manage.

A: From a production point of view, it is far more cost effective to produce all mouldings the same colour. This avoids paying additional costs for smaller quantities of pigment or prepigmented gel coat, it avoids the cost of holding various colours of raw materials in stock, and greatly reduces the chances of colour cross contamination during manufacture.
Q: OK, this is sounding more convincing - but isn't it the same for PVCs and cars? Why not paint or wrap them like cars & PVCs?

When you order the base vehicle from Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot etc, White is a no cost option.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's cooler in summer as it doesn't absorb as much heat from the sun in winter theres less sun anyway so it won't be much cooler than any other colour. Also production runs are in vehicle terms small and having lots of colours available would mean higher production costs for all those produced so I'm happy with white.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Some answers I've found:

Also easier to sell on; less likely to have issues trying to sell a white vehicle than one that is your fave colour but not so popular for others.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I think white motorhomes look awful especially when clustered together on a site or aire.

Not sure what the 'ideal' colour is, but I would prefer a pale grey or green, anything that didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My PVC base colour is white and the temperature difference between the white bodywork and the tinted windows when in full sun is amazing.the Tints can be hot to the touch whereas the bodywork is not. So white for most countries is probably the best option.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Motorhome is based on a commercial motor white paint on them is easy for repairs and also vinyl wrap is commonly used on commercial stuff. When they want to sell it on just peel it off and sell a white motor.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
There is also the thermal expansion factor. A black painted sheet of aluminium would dilate a lot, causing mechanical tensions that can be hard to cater for.

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
We have a black one! Spent several weeks in Spain last year and it was hot but didn’t notice it being any more sweltering than our previous white and silver vans in 30+ temperatures. Having said that when weather is fine we are always outside and only sleep it.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We used to have a red and grey Dethleffs, much hotter inside than our white Hobby.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

Motorhomes/caravans have tiny production numbers compared to cars & PVCs

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
It's cooler in summer as it doesn't absorb as much heat from the sun in winter theres less sun anyway so it won't be much cooler than any other colour. Also production runs are in vehicle terms small and having lots of colours available would mean higher production costs for all those produced so I'm happy with white.

Who remembers doing the 'Leslie's Cube' experiment at school which proves much of the above?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My grandparents first static caravan was green. In fact all the vans on the site were the same manufacture hence green.
When the site started to take tourers the white caravans and motorhomes stood out. Some of the static owners complained the tourers spoilt the view because they didnt blend in. Eventually the site owners split the site into separate areas.
Grandma and Grandad bought a newer caravan that was a different manufacturer that wasn’t green but they stayed on the same pitch. Of coarse that didn’t spoilt the view.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
White absorbs less radiant heat than black. So it's cooler in summer when in direct sun.

White also sends out less radiant heat than black when it's warmer than the surroundings. So in theory it's actually warmer in the winter, but it's less important because the main heat loss is by conduction through the bodywork.

For what it's worth, a shiny silver colour is even better than white.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
The colour of the paint does not indicate in all cases its effectiveness against sunlight, the absorption emmisivity of the paint defines its effectiveness to radiate any heat or absorb it.
As aluminium (gold and silver are also effective but a bit too expensive?) is very effective as radiating heat perhaps we should remove the white paint completely?
Though this would be considered as not "green" enough for hiding vans on camp sites.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our last RV in full paint finish , no stick on decals, never a black streak .
We now have a white Hymer, not quite the same ;)

Always amazes me that the very expensive European Morelos etc are turned out in plain white, a proper paint job would show a bit of street cred.

1F5C0B8E-EE61-4963-8285-E6714A39DEAD.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back