Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Having had great success with my home thermostat question, I'm now turning my attention to solder 🙂

Back in the seventies, to balanced spoked motorcycle wheels we used to wrap solder wire around the spokes

Our aircraft division at work had loads of it, so a quick chat to the engineers about what was required - in this case 2 pieces about 15 grammes each - was all that was needed, a stores lad was despatch and it appeared on my desk

Now these days they use self adhesive weights, but on my Classic Yamaha restoration (1974 bike) I thought I'd go for authentic old school!

So, given that back in the day a lot of lead was used in solder, I'm guessing the modern stuff is lighter. A quick look at 3.25mm plumbers solder shows I'd need about 20cm of it wrapped around spoke - a bit (lot) too much.....

Any suggestions on what might work please?

Thanks in advance for any useful or amusing suggestions

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
This takes me back to when I were a lad, and used to source bits of old lead water pipe.
I made wooden molds, poured the meted lead in to make sea fishing weights.
Maybe you could fabricate a mold, putting a bike spoke through it until set, then cut a slot in it, open out sufficiently to clamp & crimp over wheel spoke.:unsure:
That's all I can come up with for now....yea I know, I get me coat!:imoutahere:
Good luck.
LES

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having had great success with my home thermostat question, I'm now turning my attention to solder 🙂

Back in the seventies, to balanced spoked motorcycle wheels we used to wrap solder wire around the spokes

Our aircraft division at work had loads of it, so a quick chat to the engineers about what was required - in this case 2 pieces about 15 grammes each - was all that was needed, a stores lad was despatch and it appeared on my desk

Now these days they use self adhesive weights, but on my Classic Yamaha restoration (1974 bike) I thought I'd go for authentic old school!

So, given that back in the day a lot of lead was used in solder, I'm guessing the modern stuff is lighter. A quick look at 3.25mm plumbers solder shows I'd need about 20cm of it wrapped around spoke - a bit (lot) too much.....

Any suggestions on what might work please?

Thanks in advance for any useful or amusing suggestions

You can still buy lead solder, you just can't sell a product made of it. Yup I know. EU laws make no sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've got two 1950's bikes with spoked wheels and have used just the lead bits at the top of steel garden nails that are used for fixing roses or creepers to a wall or fence.

(I've just Googled for a pic/supplier but all I get is advice to ladies on how to protect their nails when gardening. :rolleyes: )

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I used to use cut offs from old roofing lead sheet and rolled it around the spoke for my old bikes. (y)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Don't think my bikes went fast eniugh to need balancing. Even those heavy security bolts did not make much difference. Mind you the engine shook a bit.

OP
OP
Nasher

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Many thanks for the replies - I will be buying some leaded solder (3.25mm diameter)

I apologise for being a bit vague as to my requirements: That the authentic look is as important as the balance..

Pic here shows the look I'm after... (no, I don't have red wheels, mine are polished alloy!)

74824.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can still buy lead solder, you just can't sell a product made of it. Yup I know. EU laws make no sense.
Very similar laws outside the EU too banned on water systems in the US in 1986. I looked at Somerset solders they supply a 50% lead solder for stained glass windows they're easy to Google.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Very similar laws outside the EU too banned on water systems in the US in 1986. I looked at Somerset solders they supply a 50% lead solder for stained glass windows they're easy to Google.
The EU banned lead solder in electronics on July 1 2006 which is what I was referring to. You can buy electronics solder with lead in, but you can't sell a product made of it. It was this logic I was referring to.

I totally agree with the ban on lead solder for plumbing. Lead should be nowhere near drinking water.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The EU banned lead solder in electronics on July 1 2006 which is what I was referring to. You can buy electronics solder with lead in, but you can't sell a product made of it. It was this logic I was referring to.

I totally agree with the ban on lead solder for plumbing. Lead should be nowhere near drinking water.
depends on your water in london with hard water there is no erosion of the lead as its coated in calcium i regularly remove lead close to or over a hundred years old in scotland with its soft water the blame the violent behaviour of many inner folk city on lead poisoning

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
depends on your water in london with hard water there is no erosion of the lead as its coated in calcium i regularly remove lead close to or over a hundred years old in scotland with its soft water the blame the violent behaviour of many inner folk city on lead poisoning
I still think that it doesn't make any sense to add more lead to the system now we know the neurological damage it does. You only have to look at the fall in violent crime since lead was removed from petrol and paint.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Many thanks for the replies - I will be buying some leaded solder (3.25mm diameter)

I apologise for being a bit vague as to my requirements: That the authentic look is as important as the balance..

Pic here shows the look I'm after... (no, I don't have red wheels, mine are polished alloy!)

View attachment 440616
if not too urgent, I am certain I have some old lead solder in with my dad's plumbing tools. It is probably about 1/4 inch round. You could hammer it out to a suitable thickness and slice it to the right width would be flat to sit on the spokes. Just PM me an address and I will get some in the post to you

OP
OP
Nasher

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
if not too urgent, I am certain I have some old lead solder in with my dad's plumbing tools. It is probably about 1/4 inch round. You could hammer it out to a suitable thickness and slice it to the right width would be flat to sit on the spokes. Just PM me an address and I will get some in the post to you

Thank you so much for your kind offer

I think I'm sorted, but if it doesn't work out, I'll take you up on it

You are a star!

Thanks again

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
No problem, just let me know if you need it

OP
OP
Nasher

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I may have just been lucky..... Never, on any of my bikes, have I had to balance a wheel.

Interesting, I've never bothered on classic bikes with steel wheels, but the alloy ones tend to be a bit more fickle
Also race bikes tend to develop more power and are faster and will usually have much stiffer suspension
So it's not uncommon to feel the patter of an out of balance wheel

On my modern bikes, the physical size of tyres width (190mm) and height means it's the norm to balance them - especially as these days they're responsible for putting over 200bhp on the tarmac via a very small contact patch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back