Which Solar panel system (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2021
Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574-A
Hi new member and new to Motor home life
I found the batteries flat this weekend, all thou we disconnected as per the manual I thought !
I am feeling I need to fit a solar panel as no mains at the storage site.
I have a Hymer B574 Yr 2000 with the EBL 99 G battery management only two batteries on board starter and a leisure
The manual states I use the LR1218 Solar Panel controller connected to the APL to use its battery management system.
what size solar panel would be the best.

Regards Trev Ethel the Hymer

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above as big as you can fit and what the system (EBL) allows. You may need to consult the EBL manual to see if there is a limit on the input..

Ref the LR1218 regulator and the connection lead.. I took mine off last year to replace with a more efficent (and expensive LOL ) MPPT regulator. I should have it lying around somewhere, available for a little beer money ;)
Send me a PM / Conversation message if you decide to go ahead with solar and want it.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Redfelin
Jan 27, 2021
Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574-A
Hi tonka
Are we saying we can connect a better more info display controller to the EBL the LR1218 seems basic into days tech

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok

My advice ...forget the ebl and forget the Lr1218

Invest in a second leisure battery , a good mppt controller and a couple of solar panels at least 200w

1 leisure battery is never enough and theres no point having decent solar if not the batteries to store it.

My hymer had the lr1218 fitted when i bought it and im convinced it damaged my leisure batteries ...i replaced it with a votronic mppt 250 ...cost about £120 with the cable to plug in to ebl so it displays on the dt201 control panel
Ive 220 watt of solar ...panels cost around £180 for the pair.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi tonka
Are we saying we can connect a better more info display controller to the EBL the LR1218 seems basic into days tech
You can certainly fit lots of more efficient and info displaying equipment. Not something I have done. My original LR1218 and EBL220 worked fine but after investing in 2 new leisure batteries I bit the bullet and swopped the LR unit. Depends on what you want and how much you want to pay 😁👍

OP
OP
Redfelin
Jan 27, 2021
Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574-A
Ok

My advice ...forget the ebl and forget the Lr1218

Invest in a second leisure battery , a good mppt controller and a couple of solar panels at least 200w

1 leisure battery is never enough and theres no point having decent solar if not the batteries to store it.

My hymer had the lr1218 fitted when i bought it and im convinced it damaged my leisure batteries ...i replaced it with a votronic mppt 250 ...cost about £120 with the cable to plug in to ebl so it displays on the dt201 control panel
Ive 220 watt of solar ...panels cost around £180 for the pair.
Hi Northernraider
Sounds like a plan I'll have to explore a possible location of the second leisure battery as under the passenger at the mo and the EBL to the right of the steering wheel compartment .
Could be a challenge .
This being my first adventure and an oldish MH I was just hoping to keep everything charged whilst at the lock up storage outside. And use hook up till I find the courage for wild ventures.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Northernraider
Sounds like a plan I'll have to explore a possible location of the second leisure battery as under the passenger at the mo and the EBL to the right of the steering wheel compartment .
Could be a challenge .
This being my first adventure and an oldish MH I was just hoping to keep everything charged whilst at the lock up storage outside. And use hook up till I find the courage for wild ventures.
The 2 batteries dont have to be right next to each other one can go under the rear seats just connect wires to them .
My ebl is in the same place and the controller sits next to it and attaches to wires entering the ebl

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
I’m following with interest.
we‘ve had our Laika for 10 months and found w3 like a mixture of off grid and hook up. We are considering going to 2x 100ah, but the battery box in the double floor isn’t big enough, would anyone have advice/experience of changing the battery box?

974305DB-EE45-423E-A5D0-449413B759B7.jpeg

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Just to add, we have a heat exchanger under the seat, so no room there

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Have you got space under any of you hab bench seats?
Hi thanks XxanthaxXyes the single battery is in the double floor, under the bench seat. My idea was to take out the bench seat and has a new battery box fitted in the floor, I wanted to keep the batteries together and neat.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The LR1218 is a PWM solar controller, with maximum output of 18 amps. As you say, it's a bit basic. Schaudt also do the LRM1218, which is much the same but is MPPT, better and more efficient. Both of these come with cables to connect to the EBL99. They will take panels up to 200 to 250 watts.

Votronic do a dual output MPPT solar controller, which will charge the leisure battery and trickle charge the starter battery. They do a kit with cables to connect to various EBLs, including the EBL99 I think.

If you want to use other solar controllers, then you can make up the connectors yourself. For the leisure battery connection you can use pins 1 (neg) and 3 (pos) of the 3-way connector (Solar Regler), plus a 15A fuse in the 'Solar' slot. This will take up to 15A, or about 200W of panels.

Any more than that and you should go direct to the leisure battery, bypassing the EBL measuring point. The control panel won't account for the solar power when charging the battery, but as long as you know that you can allow for it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi thanks XxanthaxXyes the single battery is in the double floor, under the bench seat. My idea was to take out the bench seat and has a new battery box fitted in the floor, I wanted to keep the batteries together and neat.
is there room to put one battery above the existing generally batteris are maintanence free now so access only needed to change them

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
is there room to put one battery above the existing generally batteris are maintanence free now so access only needed to change
Yes I’m pretty sure there is, one on top of the lift up panel. assuming that there’s proprietary brackets to hold the upper battery solidly in place, could be the best option.
I’m thinking 2 x 100ah lithium so no issue if on their sides.

Paul Gordon

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Hi new member and new to Motor home life
I found the batteries flat this weekend, all thou we disconnected as per the manual I thought !
I am feeling I need to fit a solar panel as no mains at the storage site.
I have a Hymer B574 Yr 2000 with the EBL 99 G battery management only two batteries on board starter and a leisure
The manual states I use the LR1218 Solar Panel controller connected to the APL to use its battery management system.
what size solar panel would be the best.

Regards Trev Ethel the Hymer

Paul Gordon

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Hi Redfelin, did you push down the red “button” like thing on your heating? I had the same issue, similar van (b524).. if its not pushed down and the outside temperature goes below 8 degrees C, it will consume electricity. Pg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back