Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Morning pips!
Mrs Zaskars birthday is coming up and a new Ipad is on the cards. She's had one for about 6 years now (if it aint broke dont fix it!).
It was her first Ipad, bought second hand from a friend and now she's got used to it she absolutely loves it. Personally, I prefer my laptop but hey ho.
Problem is, it's getting old now (Model No = A1460) and when she tries to get into certain apps (I think banking might be one of them) she's getting an error message to say that it's now too outdated and cant be updated.
So, my thoughts are a trip to PCWorld with her, but having looked at the website, it would seem there are quite a few to choose from and I don't want to get something ridiculously powerful/clever that she just wont need (or more likely the one the salesman gets most commission on!)

So, usage? Photos, Amazon, Email, Google earth, info finding/sight seeing. VERY little gaming (solitaire not complex computer gaming) and absolutely NO social media. She also doesn't use Forums.

Ideas please?

Thanks.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Apple UK has an entry level iPad 64GB WiFi only at £319

The iPad mini 5 starts at £479 so I hope the larger tablet is her preference 🤪

Does she need a storage boost for her offline music and movie downloads or is entry level OK?

Can other outlets beat apple?
I bought my iPhone SE2 on a 3yr 0% deal. For £419
More than I would normally spend but 0% loan hooked me. 🤪🤷‍♂️

Edit. Clarity and. Yes, and does she need pics offline? 👍🏻

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We found John Lewis to be very competitive on price and a two year guarantee( for what it’s worth).
I would go either 128gb or 256. We have put lots of our music on ours for when travelling and watch nearly all our TV on them. We do download tV programmes to them.
Also all our photos are on them.
It’s surprising how apps and data mount up over time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
With pics and music etc. in the apple or Google cloud and free data, that’s a valid route to keep device costs down 👍🏻

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Bi Denise a new iPad Pro and it doesn’t come with a home button she hate’s it so we swapped and she happy with my old one I found the new one awkward a lot on new swipes to learn

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I have just replaced my tablet with a Lenevo. It's not Apple of course, but does everything I need a pad to do and of course you have everything you could possibly need in the App store.
This followed advice from my son who writes IT reviews for a living so I don't have to do the hours of research myself!
I'm very happy with the quality and performance at a good price.
One use I plan is to break free from a stand alone sat nav as these have all proven an expensive failure over the years.

I realise that an Apple lover is not going to go down this route but thought I'd share it anyway.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I would have thought that 128gb would be more than enough. I have 2,000 photos on mine and some videos and I am using only 33gb of my 64gb
Yes. For what she does I would think that would be fine.
Look at Apple refurbished ones and maybe a young secondhand one!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Morning pips!
Mrs Zaskars birthday is coming up and a new Ipad is on the cards. She's had one for about 6 years now (if it aint broke dont fix it!).
It was her first Ipad, bought second hand from a friend and now she's got used to it she absolutely loves it. Personally, I prefer my laptop but hey ho.
Problem is, it's getting old now (Model No = A1460) and when she tries to get into certain apps (I think banking might be one of them) she's getting an error message to say that it's now too outdated and cant be updated.
So, my thoughts are a trip to PCWorld with her, but having looked at the website, it would seem there are quite a few to choose from and I don't want to get something ridiculously powerful/clever that she just wont need (or more likely the one the salesman gets most commission on!)

So, usage? Photos, Amazon, Email, Google earth, info finding/sight seeing. VERY little gaming (solitaire not complex computer gaming) and absolutely NO social media. She also doesn't use Forums.

Ideas please?

Thanks.
I would recommend a refurbished iPad from Apple, a significant saving over new and they al have a new outer shell so are indistinguishable from a new one, they also have a warranty. Look on the apple. UK website https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
The iPad Air is the best Ipad available at the moment.

Very similar to the pro, but better value.

If you have a Costco card they were (maybe still are) £80.00 cheaper than Apple, Currys etc..

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
If you decide which model to go for have a look at the EDUstore if you know anyone in education just sign up.
Just purchased a Apple Macbook air for £833 to include 4 years guarantee.
They also do open box but new deals with 12 months guarantee.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got the pro I think. Much bigger screen than the normal iPad.

I think it’s great.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks for all your help pips. Loads of info for me to look into.(y)
Hard part is finding a quiet moment when she doesn't keep walking past the screen!!!!!
Why do they have a hell of a habit of turning up when you're trying to keep summat quiet!:LOL:

Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
New, starting 2021
Apple UK has an entry level iPad 64GB WiFi only at £319

The iPad mini 5 starts at £479 so I hope the larger tablet is her preference 🤪

Does she need a storage boost for her offline music and movie downloads or is entry level OK?

Can other outlets beat apple?
I bought my iPhone SE2 on a 3yr 0% deal. For £419
More than I would normally spend but 0% loan hooked me. 🤪🤷‍♂️

Edit. Clarity and. Yes, and does she need pics offline? 👍🏻
Do you know if the entry level Ipad can cope with Google Earth? thanks

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I bought my iPad Pro (12.9") about 5 years ago and really love it, still pretty much the best bit of tech I have ever got and use it several hours a day. My only regret is not paying the extra to get the 4g version - as the wifi one version doesn't have a gps built in.

I find having the larger screen really nice, especially when reading things like magazine etc. plus most of the time I can get the text big enough to not need glasses, plus it is good for TV viewing too.

If I was buying another one today I would go for the 128mb 12.9 Cellular iPad Pro - quite pricey though at about £1,150 from apple.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you know if the entry level Ipad can cope with Google Earth? thanks
Yes.
The iPad models in the apple shop differ only by storage capacity and if they have cellular data AND WiFi or just WiFi.
That means they have the same capability to run an app - like Google Earth.

Also, I’m no apple fan boy, I migrate to what ever device suits my application. For me, an apple iPad mini 4 is my go to tablet for general use. I’ve a bigger Amazon kindle fire for watching media in the Motorhome 👍🏻

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hmmmm, like the look of the refurbished Ipad Air. Still a lot of brass but what the hell, she's worth it!
One question. If I get just the wifi, not the +cellular, can she connect the iPad to the wifi hotspot off her Motorola android phone?
..........and if that sound like a stupid question, bear in mind I'm a self confessed nuts and bolts Luddite man!::bigsmile:

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
I dragged my wife out of the Apple garden & to a Surface Pro. She loves the Surface now. iPhone to pixel too.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hmmmm, like the look of the refurbished Ipad Air. Still a lot of brass but what the hell, she's worth it!
One question. If I get just the wifi, not the +cellular, can she connect the iPad to the wifi hotspot off her Motorola android phone?
..........and if that sound like a stupid question, bear in mind I'm a self confessed nuts and bolts Luddite man!::bigsmile:
Yes…

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Sold!::bigsmile:

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I would recommend a refurbished iPad from Apple, a significant saving over new and they al have a new outer shell so are indistinguishable from a new one, they also have a warranty. Look on the apple. UK website https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad
Sure, big saving over new Apple price, but 2 or 3 times more expensive than the Android equivalent.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I like the apple outlet shop.
I bought mrskevenh an iPod from them as a present. It came in loud “kevenh is cheap and bought from our outlet shop” packaging :LOL: but without that it was brand new in presentation & support.

The Motorola hotspot is WiFi to the WiFi only iPad 👍🏻

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ibought a Amazon fire tablet last year. They will probably be on black Friday sale soon at about£100. Works fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back