Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find it. This is also a bit long but I want to get all the info down so as to get some accurate replies.

Firstly, we have a Hymer on a fiat chassis uprated with front springs and Alko Chassis to 4.5 tonne
Registered July 2012, I thought it was a 150 engine, but the registration only says 2008 Euro 5
Engine size is 2287 cc Power 109 kw it is French registered but built in Germany the original UK V5 gives no more info..

Now the handbook says use only Selenia WR P.E. SAE 5W-30 to Fiat 9.55535-S1 specification well it wouldn't it! To buy that I would have to drive a 100km round trip and pay ten times the normal price. I also note that Ford with the same engine say only use their own oil and Peugeot say the same. So their Dire warnings can be discounted I believe.
Fiat do say in an emergency an oil with at least ACEA C2 performance is acceptable.

Now I have always used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synth which is easy to get reasonable price and the specifications say it is ACEA A3/B3 A3/before now is that better than ACEA C2 or different.
It also says that it meets Fiat 9.55535.Z2 specifications now is that better or worse than Fiat 9.55535-S1 specification. All so very confusing.
Also bearing in mind that this vehicle spends most of it's life in the south of France, Spain, Portugal & Morocco. So is the 5W-40 better to use as it is often at temperatures around 40deg.
OK next Summer we will be going to Scandinavia but the -5deg Winter temp is the same on both oils.

Now the Shell online Lubricant checker says:
Ducato Box 150 Multijet 2.3 (109kW) (Ducato) (DT) (2011-) which looks to be the one we have to use:
Helix Ultra Professional AT-L 5W-30 in the UK and in Spain

Now I have never seen this oil in the Supermarkets or in the Equivalent of Halfords over here. We are driving to the UK in a couple of days and the oil is at the bottom level mark so i need to put half a litre or so in to be safe.
so can I put this in which I have.

Or must I search around for this:
Broken Link Removed
Thanks for any educated help rather than stupid comments which seem to be getting more and more the norm nowadays.
Steve

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Bottom line - you could get away with topping up using the SUH 5W40 if you're only adding half a litre or so, as long as you don't keep doing that without changing the oil. It woiuld be preferable to use the correct specification oil though.

You don't need to use Selenia oil. The "recommendation" is a Fiat marketing exercise. Iveco, who use the exact same engine, recommend a completely different oil.

You should use an oil with the same required specification, i.e. 5W30 ACEA C2, meeting or exceeding Fiat 9.55535-S1.

ACEA A and B specifications are for older petrol and diesel engines without catalyst and/or particulate filter emission control technology. C specification is for diesel engines with catalyst/DPF and it is important to use an ACEA C2 oil, as the C" classification means that it has a lower sulphur, ash and phosphate content to increase the life of the particulate filter, which could block much sooner than designed if regularly using an oil with a higher SAPS content.

There are plenty of oils which meet the specification. Shell Ultra Helix is good, Titan GT1 Pro is another. You may need to buy online, and in any case will almost certainly obtain a much better price than buying from somewhere like Halfords.

I use Opie Oils and find their prices and service good. It is worth checking their listings on eBay as they sometimes sell the oil you are looking for cheaper there than through their own website.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
EBay is your friend here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last van was Euro 5+ with the same spec oil, we were getting a bit low found some in a Intermarche.
109kw is 150bhp.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Another vote for Opie who I think will despatch to France. Fiat engine not the same as Ford or Peugeot. Would definitely stick with 5W30 in pretty much any climate you encounter but occasionally topping up with 5W40 not a particular problem.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks all, the thing is I have the Helix Ultra 5W-40 with me but it is ACEA A3/B3 rather than ACEA C2, I have little chance of finding the correct stuff before I leave, so @Deneb half a litre of the ACEA A3 in a 6.5 litre sump should be OK? I will be doing about 2.5K to the UK and back before I do an oil change so should be able to get the Oil I need and the filters etc as it is so much easier (and cheaper) in the UK than here in France. I will try Opie Oil online which I can get sent to my son's house. @Lenny HB I looked in the local supermarket but only what I show above. Just looked at Opie online and what a range of makes and prices.
Steve

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
The Euro 5 is not as critical on oil spec as the Euro 6 so should be fine. I bought the Selnia 0W 30 for my Euro 6 from Grays.
I did the same when i bought a litre for our new motorhome. At the time there were stories going around that the new Euro 6 used some oil. Well after 5000 miles it has not needed any topping up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did the same when i bought a litre for our new motorhome. At the time there were stories going around that the new Euro 6 used some oil. Well after 5000 miles it has not needed any topping up.
Mine uses about a litre in 7000 miles, the Euro 5+ we had a litre in 9000 miles.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
@OldAgeTravellers you will be fine topping up a half litre with the 5W-40. Not sure where you get the 6.5 litre capacity from though. Fiat say 5.9 litres service fill including filter change for Euro 5 and 6 2.3 multijets, but my experience is that leads to a slightly overfull sump on the dipstick, which seems to be borne out by two different Fiat Professional dealers I know, who only fill with 5.4 litres on oil changes for that reason and because diesel engines with DPFs are better slightly underfilled than on the button due to the possibility of oil dilution in service during regens.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks all for the help, they do make it complicated don't they. As I will be doing a full change when I get back I will just top up to half way on the stick so as to keep the dilution with A3/B3 to a minimum.
@Deneb I got the figure of 6.5lt from the Shell web site.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @Deneb I emailed Opie Oils and they came back with a few which were to the Fiat Spec, Titan Oil is £8.95 per litre compared with Shell Helix at £11.95 with Millers, Castrol, Motul & Valvoline between the two. Never heard of Titan but you said above that you were quite happy with the Titan GT1 Pro.
Steve
p.s. Have you found their filters Oil & Fuel and other parts are a good price ,quality as well?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I haven't used Titan personally, been using Shell Helix so far, but Fuchs (Titan) are one of the largest oil and lubricant manufacturers in the world. There is a guy on another forum who runs a large fleet of Ducatos and has been using nothing but Titan oil for years. I'm thinking of switching to it as the correct grade of Shell oil is difficult to buy in bulk and the smaller bottles work out quite expensive.

The filters that Opie sell are good quality as well. I think there's a choice of Bosch or Mahle for Ducato. Both are fine, but I'd go for Bosch at half the price. The Mahle is getting near main dealer prices for a Fiat filter, which is only a UFI or similar make with a special paint job after all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back