Free Member
Nov 4, 2019
Derby
Funster No
MH
Still Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, brand new to this site so firstly Hello!

I will be retiring from full time employment at the end of the year and looking to purchase a motorhome. Looking on Autotrader etc. and the array of choice is just mind boggling. I have a number of requirements but can't seem to find everything all in one motorhome so wondered if anyone could help with some advice? I realy want a full motorhome with shower etc, not a campervan. I want to have a garage large enough for a motor scooter and a fixed bed. I have a drive 8M long. I would want air conditioning in the cab as a minimum. I have a budget of around £30K. Am I asking too much or is there something out there and I'm just not seeing it? Thanks in advance! :) Steve

Deleted User
Easy, and only one option - buy German.
Before going to a dealer go to a big campsite, have a stroll around and talk to van owners. Most are happy to tell you the good and bad of their pride and joy. Also you will see them in use full of everything we carry instead of empty on a dealers forecourt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think a lot of owners like the make they have . We have had 2 Chaussons they seem to me reasonable quality for a reasonable (in mh terms) price and the place we had our last hab service done who are service agents for lots of makes of all nationalities and dealers for none agree. Back to the op I think he needs some idea of how he is likely to use his mh in oreder to come to some idea what layout will suit and which compromises to go for also if his drive is 8m long what limits it does he really want his mh bang up to the pavement at the front and possibly stopping access to his garage at the back (or right up to his house). Also has he already got a scooter if not that would be a fairly cheap purchase to try out first before getting a mh to fit one in then finding the other half hates it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
Fletch, I feel your pain. When we started looking a dealer told us that they had tried to make a list of all possible makes/models and configurations but gave up when they got to #3001...
You seem to have a basic spec. Make sure you have really thought about how you will use the van - do you really need an oven?, do you trust electric beds? Do you really need a good shower? etc etc. Then visit as many dealers and shows as poss. and, above all, talk to as many people as poss. Of course they will all say their van is the best (our Buerstner is perfect ;)) but more usefully they will often point out potential failings in others.
As recommended above, make sure the garage and back axle will take the weight and that the scooter will not leave you with no payload for anything else (some vans have a super spec. but a ridiculously low payload). If you're buying an old van think about servicing - an A-class might be tempting but if anything much goes wrong with the engine ot transmission the bills can be horrendous. Similarly make sure it has a recent habitation service report.
We spent a month touring NZ in a rented van before buying - and boy did we learn a lot! Might be worth it for you just to find the little things which will annoy you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back