Which long range, comfy ebikes? (1 Viewer)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
You don't live in the real world. I priced up rebuilding a Bosch Li on battery using commercially avalible cells, almost as cheap to pay £500 for a complete Bosch battery.

Cheapest I can find is North of £600 for a new battery for my Motus!!:(

Luckily I don't need one!! :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Thank god. That world where people are proud of being ripped off is not to my taste.

Not like you to be quite so "confrontational" @hilldweller :(

I certainly do not believe I was "ripped off" buying a very good E bike - and I certainly have never "been proud of being ripped off" - far from it, on the occasions that I have been ripped off (unfortunately too often) I have been "mucho peed off!!"

In the past I have always looked forward to reading your valuable contributions to the site:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At least with our bikes I saved a £1000 by buying from Germany.

Well that just proves my point on rip off prices.

Buying quality is fine but I have a bee in my bonnet about e-bikes because the price makes no sense compared to a motorbike. And for that matter I have issues with motorbikes because a quite average 2 wheeled machine cost more than a decent new car.

I must say I don't like my E.Leclerc half as much as my old Chinese one. This new one is made to EU regs, no throttle so setting off or going at minimum speed in pedestrian areas is a real pain. The old throttle system is far safer.

Clipper

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
North of Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi We bought a Kalkhoff step through 2 years ago its go 26 in wheels crank motor it was there top of the range a lot more money than you want to pay. We got it from 50 cycles and went back last year and bought one for myself 26in wheels very well kitted and much cheaper its called a Beatbike I think its 50 cycles own name its a copy of the Kalkhoff.
Clipper

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We still have our AS bikes from 8 years ago , still look like new and batteries performing fine. Twist grip

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
B
I have the crank drive on the Gazelle and it is very good. A bit too good really as if its in full power its damn dangerous. Comfy is the word though,like floating along on a cloud with the big ass suspension seat and sit up and beg riding position.
Cook now has her custom built electric trike with crank drive, now that thing is in a class of its own.
Be interested to know more about the trike, not overly impressed with our trike.... but she wanted to try out a cheap one initially,

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi We bought a Kalkhoff step through 2 years ago its go 26 in wheels crank motor it was there top of the range a lot more money than you want to pay. We got it from 50 cycles and went back last year and bought one for myself 26in wheels very well kitted and much cheaper its called a Beatbike I think its 50 cycles own name its a copy of the Kalkhoff.
Clipper
I’ve never had an electric bike and know little about them apart from they’re expensive, but that 50 Cycles Beatbike seems like quite good deal for a utility bike.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
B

Be interested to know more about the trike, not overly impressed with our trike.... but she wanted to try out a cheap one initially,

It was a real bargain. Built for an elderly relative that never rode it. Pat particularly likes the very low step through frame.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
I’ve never had an electric bike and know little about them apart from they’re expensive, but that 50 Cycles Beatbike seems like quite good deal for a utility bike.
Seems tha Bristol 50 cycles closed down yesterday due to “unsubstantial rent rises” so don’t plan a trip there.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Recommendations from users for electric bikes please.

Until now we've used a 125cc scooter for longer trips out from our motorhome and a couple of cheapo folding bicycles for local exploring.

Due to a change of motorhome involving weight and garage space issues, we're now looking at just having two electric bicycles instead.

We are not looking for top end full suspension mountain bikes, but just for two lightish weight road - only bikes, either full sized frame and wheels, or alternatively perhaps 20 inch wheel folding type.

Comfort is far, far more important than speed.

We do want bikes with removable batteries, as we are planning to have a spare battery for each, which I can be charging via our solar panels and inverter whilst we are using the other batteries in the bikes.

The bikes would need to have substantial range, as we will be using them for touring /exploring a lot... Perhaps 50 to 70 miles range?

They'll also need capacity to add rack and panniers, to carry significant amounts of beer and wine back to the mh from our shopping sprees!

Budget perhaps about 1000 pounds/euros per bike.

Does anyone have personal experience of owning/using ebikes that they think would fit the bill for us please?
If so, links to dealers /manufacturers for the exact model would be much appreciated.
I ride a prorider folding ebike, very comfortable, good range around £600.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back