Which is the Best wi-fi signal booster on the Market. (4 Viewers)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if what your using as a card inlet on the side its possible to get card to usb adaptors so then an anttena will work. but you have what you have your choice.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
if what your using as a card inlet on the side its possible to get card to usb adaptors so then an anttena will work. but you have what you have your choice.

If you mean the card readers on certain tablets, yes you can get adpaters but as it's extending a card reader on the device that's all it will ever be. It will recognise USB storage devices like flash drives and some hard drives but it's rare that you will ever get a fully fledged USB port that will recognise any type of USB device.

If you get past that the issue you then have with the vast majority of hardware designed for desktop machines is that the drivers aren't available for mobile platforms so even if your device can see that you've connected something it won't know what it is or what to do with it.

If you really want to use that type of antenna with a tablet or phone your only real option is to also buy a wireless router that's compatible with the antenna.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting BUT........
I understand how these booster aerials bring in a signal, but can anyone explain to me how you get on to someone else's Wi-Fi without a passkey/password?

Picture the scene; you fire up your device and it shows five or six local sites. You then click 'Join' on the strongest and it asks for a password which you haven't obviously got. Then what? (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting BUT........
I understand how these booster aerials bring in a signal, but can anyone explain to me how you get on to someone else's Wi-Fi without a passkey/password?

Picture the scene; you fire up your device and it shows five or six local sites. You then click 'Join' on the strongest and it asks for a password which you haven't obviously got. Then what? (n)

Nothing :D You can only get on to someones WIFI if its been left open without password protection. It used to be the case that you had to enable password in your Wifi router, but I think most now do it as a default. The one at the wife's shop came with the Wifi password of "Fluffycream177" :LOL:

If you have the right gear, the passwords are breakable, buts its much more difficult than it used to be.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Interesting BUT........

Nothing :D You can only get on to someones WIFI if its been left open without password protection. It used to be the case that you had to enable password in your Wifi router, but I think most now do it as a default. The one at the wife's shop came with the Wifi password of "Fluffycream177" :LOL:

See post 13 ;)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
So what's the point of a signal booster if you can't access the other party's wi-fi without their password. Most people encrypt them now surely? I did with my home wi-fi without being all that tech-savvy and all of my neighbours have secure sites too.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting BUT........

You obviously can't join an encrypted network.

You either need the password for the network you're trying to join or you need to stick to open ones.

I don't think anyone's ever claimed anything that any of the various systems guarantee you access to every network you detect. There are plenty of open networks around in the UK though so it's usually simple enough to find one.

Another thing the router based systems allow you to do is get around the "single connection" rule that many site WiFi networks employ. You connect the router to the WiFi and as many devices as you like to the router.

So what's the point of a signal booster if you can't access the other party's wi-fi without their password. Most people encrypt them now surely? I did with my home wi-fi without being all that tech-savvy and all of my neighbours have secure sites too.

You've answered your own question. It's a booster, not some magic passkey. The intention is not to allow you to hack into every WiFi network you find but instead to amplify a weak signal that you do have access to.

I'll give you one example: If you're on a campsite and have legitimate access to the site wifi complete with password but you're so far away at the other end of the site that the signal is so weak you can barely connect or even out of range so your phone can't even detect it. If you use a booster or antenna the signal will be strong enough to use as normal.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
There are a number of reasons. You can use the Fon network providef you subscribe to it, if you are on a campsite you can often get a signal with a booster aerial, but devices can't, just as I am doing now and finally you can attach multiple devices to your router. This means if you end up paying for WiFi access you only pay for one device- the router- but multiple devices in your van can access the WiFi service.

I use system very similar to Lenny and it has worked flawlessly in France over the last 5 weeks. I also have a mifi device and 3 data SIM as a fallback.

Interesting thing I have noticed is that Santander online banking doesn't seem to work via a mobile network another reason for having a number of options.

NicNic beat me to it! I'll post anyway!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have this one, using it now!
Bought from amazon for £150
Has a stronger aerial than its competitors !!! ( and works exactly the same! )
Used their after sales service to enable set up on iPad, no problem at all, very helpful.

Link Removed
That is a rebadged Solwise WiFi unit available on its own for about £42.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am using this now and picking up free WiFi from a restaurant about two hundred meters away and have a full signal. I also purchased the router as shown on the above link and have 4 other devices using the WiFi at the same time with no loss of signal strength.

High Power long range USB WiFi antenna and booster for caravan and boat

by EDUP

49 customer reviews

| 95 answered questions

Price: £34.58 FREE UK delivery.

In stock.

Get it as soon as 28 Apr. - 2 May when you choose Express Delivery at checkout.
Dispatched from and sold by .

• 150M transmission speed
  • Matches Matches IEEE802.11b / g / n of
  • 16 dBi gain antenna
  • Support operating system WinXP,WinVista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1,Win10;MacOS10.7~10.10;Linux v2.6.1.3
  • New EP-8523 driver download site :http://www.szedup.com/support/driver-download-page-2/
See more product details

• +
Total price: £87.42
Add all three to Basket
Buy the selected items together

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am using this now and picking up free WiFi from a restaurant about two hundred meters away and have a full signal. I also purchased the router as shown on the above link and have 4 other devices using the WiFi at the same time with no loss of signal strength.

High Power long range USB WiFi antenna and booster for caravan and boat

by EDUP

49 customer reviews

| 95 answered questions

Price: £34.58 FREE UK delivery.

In stock.

Get it as soon as 28 Apr. - 2 May when you choose Express Delivery at checkout.
Dispatched from and sold by .

• 150M transmission speed
  • Matches Matches IEEE802.11b / g / n of
  • 16 dBi gain antenna
  • Support operating system WinXP,WinVista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1,Win10;MacOS10.7~10.10;Linux v2.6.1.3
  • New EP-8523 driver download site :http://www.szedup.com/support/driver-download-page-2/
See more product details

• +
Total price: £87.42
Add all three to Basket
Buy the selected items together
Twice the advertised power of the motorhome WiFi system at 8dbi then! However I tried one of these kits (Solwise version) and have just sent it back to Amazon. I bought the motorhome WiFi kit instead as I have a USB wifi aerial I bought from them nearly 5 years ago and is still working fine. I thought the cheaper Solwise kit got very hot within just a few minutes use, and was not going to last long, but that is just my humble opinion. The motorhome WiFi kit looks better made and does not get as hot.

I also have the 3 huwai 3/4G mifi with an external antenna, which worked really well around Europe.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back