Which club would you recommend. (1 Viewer)

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hey all, as I’m about to enter into the world of campervan membership, I’ve been wondering if there’s a preferred club. I’ve looked at the biggies and there are some nasty reviews on TrustPilot so I’m a bit stuck.

My wife and I are taking early retirement soon and plan to do some touring around the British Isles but we will do most on the continent.

Thanks guys and looking forward to your recommendations.

Best.

May 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
When we started with MH we joined CMC, but after 5 years left for CCC which we definitely prefer, despite their poor booking system. We found CMC rather stuffy, and appealing more to caravanners who stay for a fortnight. CMC sites are too regimented for us, and almost all hard standing when we prefer grass. We had a couple of clashes with officialdom over excessive rules which eventually made us decamp. But these days we mostly go to CLs. I tend to check reviews on the club website as well as ukcampsite.co.uk.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
It’s all about location, location, location.
For me when it says a “location name” that’s where it should be not 3 miles away.
The Temporary Holiday sites are usually in the place they say they are, cost about a third of the price of a campsite. Used them all summer which puts the C&CC as first choice. Only join CMC if there is a site in a location you are keen to visit.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I was a member of c&cc for over 20 yrs and visited most of their sites, when we had a tent or caravan. But left when we bought a mh as I felt camc was better equipped for mh's. That said due to me liking to wander so no idea where I am going next, have found camc booking virtual impossible as they are nearly always fully booked, and I d9nt really get on with all this on line booking process, so we tend to use cl sites, just ring and find one a few days or on the day we are going. Britstops has been useful as well but, feel obliged to eat and it ends up costing a small fortune, cause I have to have a pudding as well. Good luck. Happy camping.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have never been members of any of the clubs from when we were tenting. Now there are apps to help us find sites and forums that review them we don’t think it’s worth the extra money fr membership.
We had close friends that were club members. When they went away with us in there caravan it was great amusement to our kids watching them set up on site. The best laugh was the fire bucket at a precise distance from there draw bar.
On one site our son put his milk in a fire bucket to keep it cool. He got a lecture from a club member about the use of fire buckets. It was a good job he didn’t see him washing his socks in the same bucket.
There are enough rules on sites without adding club rules as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We have never been members of any of the clubs from when we were tenting. Now there are apps to help us find sites and forums that review them we don’t think it’s worth the extra money fr membership.
We had close friends that were club members. When they went away with us in there caravan it was great amusement to our kids watching them set up on site. The best laugh was the fire bucket at a precise distance from there draw bar.
On one site our son put his milk in a fire bucket to keep it cool. He got a lecture from a club member about the use of fire buckets. It was a good job he didn’t see him washing his socks in the same bucket.
There are enough rules on sites without adding club rules as well.
Which club was that ?
The Camping and Caravanning Club

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I can’t remember what club it was but they were always great fun to watch on sites with there antics setting up. On one occasion a warden with his reflective jacket from the site was checking the distance between units with a tape measure.
When we ran the camps for the Cubs and Scouts the kids drove them mad with tents too close together no fire buckets etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
We joined both when we purchased our MH and have stayed in both ever since. There are pros and cons for each but we use sites from both of them to go where we want to go. CAMC offered me insurance at a good price when I had no experience and C&C wouldn't insure me because of where I store it.

Upvote 0

Trumpton

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2016
Hey all, as I’m about to enter into the world of campervan membership, I’ve been wondering if there’s a preferred club. I’ve looked at the biggies and there are some nasty reviews on TrustPilot so I’m a bit stuck.

My wife and I are taking early retirement soon and plan to do some touring around the British Isles but we will do most on the continent.

Thanks guys and looking forward to your recommendations.

Best.
We are in both for they have sites in locations that the other doesn't, the CL's & hideaways have stunning locations. But calling them club's is stretching it now as they are primarily run as businesses first, members 2nd.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are members of both and use them depending on where we want to go and availability of pitches. Both have their good points and their not so good. The C&CC club seems to be still mainly focussed on caravanners ( a look at their magazine would confirm this). The booking system for the C&MC is far better. Sadly both are increasing their prices to the extent that if they’re not careful people will stop using them as many CLs are now offering more than just pitch, water and chemical waste point.
Of course any “club” is subject to the behaviour of their members - this is one area that is so variable - but maybe a different debate.

Upvote 0

byronkemp

Free Member
Sep 3, 2021
Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We are in the C&MHC. Main reason is the "on line booking system" is just first class and so flexible and easy . You can book one site and decide to stay at sites as you go along day by day booking the next one while mobile. Same standards across the UK and most wardens are very friendly and helpful. Many have TV Booster on the hook up point which is handy in poor signal areas . The CLs are also worth using . Caravan and MH Club actually reduced site fees because the VAT was reduced by government . Lots of independents however just pocket the extra cash . !

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
This is an interesting thread.
In our 10 years of MHoming we have never felt the need to join any club as most of our travels have been in Europe.
Then Covid came along and forced us to spend more time in the UK. Also this year we have attended our first rallies which have been great.
Other funsters have educated us on how the rallies work, including in Europe and we are quite interested in doing more.
So in all a bit of a rethink is going on for us. We still don't think we need membership of any club purely for domestic travel but the idea of more rallies and the social side of getting to know fellow travellers better is attractive.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have been members of both clubs for over 20 years, have always found the wardens to be friendly and helpful, really haven’t experienced the problems and hassles some members here have had. Particularly like their city/town sites, we use Chertsey and Abbey Wood in London to visit family, Melrose, Ayr, Moffat etc in Scotland for winter weekend breaks etc. Fabulous value.

Speaking to a number of wardens, they have found COVID very difficult, continually changing rules, rude moaning visitors, fears for their own health, worries over their own employment, like many they have found the past 2 years v difficult, personally I think they have done an amazing job!

For uk travel, mix of club and cl sites along with britstops, we find to be ideal, though there are a growing number of Aires now popping up here in Scotland which looks promising.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back