Which Club to join ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm looking to join one or the other of the clubs.
The main reason is to gain access to the best database of campsites in the UK.
Whist we are fairly self contained and are happy in a field for a few days with no facilities, we also are happy on 'proper' campsites with all the normal facilities.
We live in S E England, so it's the club with the most sites in the bottom right corner of the UK that would be best.

The Caravan and Motorhome Club (C&MC)
£54 per year
2,206 Sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 150 sites

OR

The Camping and Caravanning Club (CCC)
£42 per year
1,872 sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 200 sites

I'm inclined to go for the C&MC on the basis they have a better website, seem to have more sites, and have 'motorhome' in their name.
Are there other advantages/disadvantages I'm not aware of ?
Has anyone left one for the other ?

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Don’t just look at sites. We are in both, there are advantages for both. Both clubs gets you discounts at different places, one gives you arrival Rac cover for any weight of unit, one gets you a big discount on insurance and so on and so on.
If you use rallies you can stay on some excellent commercial sites that should be £35 a night for £12 a night these are all things you need to think about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We're in both, but we'll be leaving the CMC this year. As far as I'm concerned they do absolutely nothing for motorhomes, the name change merely being a cynical marketing ploy. CCC on the other hand allow touring motorhomes to access water and dump facilities, albeit for a small fee, at their campsites for passing motorhomes. They also give access to 'Temporary Holiday Sites' which range from fields with very limited facilities to 5 star commercial campsites at very substantial discounts. Superb value for money. Personal view, but their staff seem friendlier and less officious as well.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Good question Brains . I'm a newbie and went to CCC as they have a 'local' site fairly close (30 miles). The other main reason for joining one, was to see how it functions and get a feel for possible trips. As you have identified, both spoil rotten for that.

The CCC app on the iPhone and iPad is pretty poor and not up to standard really. For example, there is no 'My Bookings' page, indeed, if you forget your dates, you will need to call in which is not great in this day and age. I understand that the CMC app does have this facility, but it keeps crashing on me.

At the end of the day, I will be joining the CMC as I suspect I will want to use both clubs. And at £100 for both, its far from the end of the world.

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy the experience.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We are in both, they each offer different things,

we use cmc for cheaper insurance and recovery, ccc gives better discount on ferry’s (we normally go to the isle of wight each year with 50% off wightlink). They both produce a good colour monthly magazine (unless you do peperless membership), plus we’re open to all the site, we are staying in few weeks on a cl at under a £10/ night.

for £100/ per year I am happy with what both offer, their are plenty that knock them as ”clubs”, but some are happy in spending nothing with their holidays based in lay-bys.

ItsEmily

Banned
Jan 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
I'm a member of both, it opens up so much scope with CLs. Both the national clubs are profitable, well run organisations, rather unlike the club your clingy little avatar represents. Joking of course. :smiley:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Currently members of both,despite the fact that they both irritate me by pretending to be clubs when all they are is commercial companies.
But if I had to choose one it would be CMC as they seem to have more CL’s in places I want to visit.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are in the C&CC and have been for years mainly because of the THS. We more than get our money back from the 10% discount in places like Mountain warehouse when buying new walking boots or even just socks etc. The website is pretty clunky though.

We used to be in CMC club as well for the Crystal palace campsite when our daughter was in London as her flat was on the bus route but that was the only site we used but it saved a fortune over the years.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I'm looking to join one or the other of the clubs.
The main reason is to gain access to the best database of campsites in the UK.
Whist we are fairly self contained and are happy in a field for a few days with no facilities, we also are happy on 'proper' campsites with all the normal facilities.
We live in S E England, so it's the club with the most sites in the bottom right corner of the UK that would be best.

The Caravan and Motorhome Club (C&MC)
£54 per year
2,206 Sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 150 sites

OR

The Camping and Caravanning Club (CCC)
£42 per year
1,872 sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 200 sites

I'm inclined to go for the C&MC on the basis they have a better website, seem to have more sites, and have 'motorhome' in their name.
Are there other advantages/disadvantages I'm not aware of ?
Has anyone left one for the other ?
C and MC will give you free lessons on how to park your motorhome near to the little white post . Its not patronising at all....

The CL network is brilliant, CL owners are generally great and they try really hard to make sure you have a good time at ‘their’ place. Worth the subscription fee for these alone

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve been in both clubs. We are now, only in the C&MHC. We prefer their sites, particularly the CLs. These days the big sites aren’t run by jobs worths wardens. Our experience is of friendly, helpful types who make you welcome. They also welcome motorhomes.

We also really rate their insurance. We’ve used their regular holiday insurance and made a big claim, when we had to cancel unexpectedly. Their service was extremely good. We also like their Red Pennant insurance for when we go abroad with the motorhome. When my husband was ill in Spain, they were excellent and very supportive.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I'm a member of both, it opens up so much scope with CLs. Both the national clubs are profitable, well run organisations, rather unlike the club your clingy little avatar represents. Joking of course. :smiley:
Lovin the avatar!

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
The problem with these clubs is after you have paid all that cash its difficult to book at the places you want to go when you want as there are so many members, many of the better sites are fully booked months in advance. There are so many other camping sites to use I would not bother with the main two. By the way I am member of both and will not be next year dont think I ever got my monies worth from either.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The problem with these clubs is after you have paid all that cash its difficult to book at the places you want to go when you want as there are so many members, many of the better sites are fully booked months in advance. There are so many other camping sites to use I would not bother with the main two. By the way I am member of both and will not be next year dont think I ever got my monies worth from either.
Was that main sites or the cl type. I think people have to try it then decide what they need/want. Some might only want the rallies or ths, so would never have to book a big site.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Another member of both and have been for over 20 years. The C&CC is the better one for motorhomes in my view and lately I have found the C&MC very irritating. As said up thread they really only play lip service to motorhome owners. That said it is probably worth keeping membership of both to improve choices of services and sites. If I was to give up one of them right now it would be the C&MC.
ezee

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Both, well worth the money (y)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What about the motorcaravaners club, just about to join unless anyone knows why not to

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
C&CC gets my vote as well.
The THS (Temporary holiday sites) are great value for money, good locations and well.
York and Southport are two of our favourite THS stops, walking distance to town (or bus) for £12 a night (y)

We almost never use a campsite in UK.

Ref the Motorcaravanners club. We were in for 10-12 years but some meets are just way to Cliquey and eventually left.
However they do have some well established rallies, especially in winter with hard standing and halls to meet in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back