Which Alarm and Immobiliser (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 520ST
Hello folks,

First post... finding the forum extremely helpful with great advice (y)

Having just bought a new motorhome and hoping to collect it in early March, fitting a Thatcham approved alarm is required for our insurance cover.

Eddievanbitz is unfortunately too far away for us (Scotland) and the closest York alternative is not Thatcham approved.

So cutting to the chase it’s looking like an Autowatch Ghost II immobiliser (not Thatcham approved I know) and Thatcham approved alarm. The question is can anyone suggest the best Thatcham approved alarm for the job? Autowatch, Toad, Phantom etc all seem very similar... but which one is best and can anyone recommend a Scottish or close installer?

Clutch claw also ordered courtesy of the forum discount 😁.

Thanks.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hello folks,

First post... finding the forum extremely helpful with great advice (y)

Having just bought a new motorhome and hoping to collect it in early March, fitting a Thatcham approved alarm is required for our insurance cover.

Eddievanbitz is unfortunately too far away for us (Scotland) and the closest York alternative is not Thatcham approved.

So cutting to the chase it’s looking like an Autowatch Ghost II immobiliser (not Thatcham approved I know) and Thatcham approved alarm. The question is can anyone suggest the best Thatcham approved alarm for the job? Autowatch, Toad, Phantom etc all seem very similar... but which one is best and can anyone recommend a Scottish or close installer?

Clutch claw also ordered courtesy of the forum discount 😁.

Thanks.
We’re in Scotland and have had VanBitz on our last two vans, I’d say it’s worth the drive. They opened on a Saturday for us so we drove down Friday had it fitted Saturday and then spent a couple of days coming home.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome! :hi: Can't advise on alternative alarms but good to hear that you have already started to recoup your membership fee with the Fun discount code for Clutch Claw (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 520ST
Thanks. Next is a Disklok... it all helps to keep those underground, overground characters at bay, and me... u know, Wombling free :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 520ST
We’re in Scotland and have had VanBitz on our last two vans, I’d say it’s worth the drive. They opened on a Saturday for us so we drove down Friday had it fitted Saturday and then spent a couple of days coming home.
I did think about that and will drop them a note to see when they would be able to install. Thanks.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I did think about that and will drop them a note to see when they would be able to install. Thanks.
They give you a free night at site too, don’t forget to mention you are a member here as you get 10% discount, we also had solar fitted so made the drive worthwhile.

OP
OP
M
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 520ST
They give you a free night at site too, don’t forget to mention you are a member here as you get 10% discount, we also had solar fitted so made the drive worthwhile.
Yes I did read that in other posts and the feedback through the many alarm posts is no doubt testament to great workmanship and customer service. To be honest, if I could find something similar just that bit closer.... hence the original question to find out if anyone can recommend something that is close enough in terms of security and location.

Definitely not against travelling down though... thanks for the suggestion.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes I did read that in other posts and the feedback through the many alarm posts is no doubt testament to great workmanship and customer service. To be honest, if I could find something similar just that bit closer.... hence the original question to find out if anyone can recommend something that is close enough in terms of security and location.

Definitely not against travelling down though... thanks for the suggestion.
I think irnbru Sandra had one fitted local to her in Glasgow, she will hopefully see this and be along to give her thoughts.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes, We had Outsmart The Thief fitted in Glasgow, for me it gives total peace of mind. Very happy with it. You will need to check with them about Thatcham Approved. I think there might be 2 versions now but there is one specified as "Thatcham Approved" on their website, so you'll need to make sure you mention that if its an insurance requirement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Feb 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 520ST
Yes, We had Outsmart The Thief fitted in Glasgow, for me it gives total peace of mind. Very happy with it. You will need to check with them about Thatcham Approved. I think there might be 2 versions now but there is one specified as "Thatcham Approved" on their website, so you'll need to make sure you mention that if its an insurance requirement.
The Thatcham approved alarm is a Gemini 931T-MH, which appears to be the underlying alarm on a Phantom alarm as well (I may be wrong here), which is fine so long as it doesn’t need to be associated with the original van keyfob and therefore still active if the keys are stolen and used. I need to check that... hopefully someone can help here.

I was thinking along the lines of also fitting an Autowatch Ghost II at the same time, therefore adding full immobilisation, even though the Ghost II isn’t Thatcham approved. That way having the best of both worlds.

Can you advise re who in Glasgow installed your system? There doesn’t appear to be anyone coming up on a google search in Scotland.

Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back