Del936

Free Member
Apr 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Potential newbie
HELP PLEASE!!!! Ok so, so many questions.

BACKGROUND
Not looking to buy for at least 6 months. Daughter off to Uni next Sept and although we don't have to wait until then but after that we have more freedom. Want to travel in UK for a week or two at a time and then off to Europe possibly for several months. Have a dog that can stay in a kennel but not for month+ long trips.

QUESTIONS
1) Size - I like the A-class but am wondering if we need quite that big but I do like my comfort. Any recommendations (deffo want automatic)?

2) Buying nearly new. Is it worth getting a year old'ish model to do away with some of the immediate depreciation or ex-demo etc.?

3) Does anyone here live months at a time abroad and also have a home in the UK?

4) If we wanted to take our dog to Europe on a pet passport, are there any issues other than checking a Staffie isn't a banned breed? This would of course be return trips and not leaving the MH on the mainland as in question 5 below.

5) One idea is to start a long period of travel through Europe and to leave the motorhome there. Example, a month through France to Spain, then fly home, then several months later, back out for a another month or so, rinse and repeat. Apart form obvious costs and secure storage issues, has anyone done this?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. If you are considering long stays abroad there are things to consider. Insurance on the van: most insurers will have a limit for time away. House insurance: most will have a limit on how long you can be away from home. Vehicle license: any vehicle out of the country for 6 months will be deemed as exported and will need to be registered in that country.
It is definitely well worth buying a 'nearly new' van if you can find one that suits you.

Wyn

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome. As a Guest you are limited to 5 posts.
Too little info and far too much to cover in detail but briefly and you'll have to do more research on your own......

1. Visit lots of dealers. People have different ideas re. 'Comfort'. E.g. Fixed bed?
2. IMHO Yes, and you will also avoid having to take a new one back, possibly a few times for faults to be corrected. ;)
3. Yes, many do. Browse/search these forums for masses of comment/opinion, experiences/advice.
4. Staffordshire Bull Terriers are allowed into France. (Google it).
5. Insurance when left unoccupied abroad could be an issue.

6. Subscribe to Fun.
7. Subscribe to Fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Del936

Free Member
Apr 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Potential newbie
HELP PLEASE!!!! Ok so, so many questions.

BACKGROUND
Not looking to buy for at least 6 months. Daughter off to Uni next Sept and although we don't have to wait until then but after that we have more freedom. Want to travel in UK for a week or two at a time and then off to Europe possibly for several months. Have a dog that can stay in a kennel but not for month+ long trips.

QUESTIONS
1) Size - I like the A-class but am wondering if we need quite that big but I do like my comfort. Any recommendations (deffo want automatic)?

2) Buying nearly new. Is it worth getting a year old'ish model to do away with some of the immediate depreciation or ex-demo etc.?

3) Does anyone here live months at a time abroad and also have a home in the UK?

4) If we wanted to take our dog to Europe on a pet passport, are there any issues other than checking a Staffie isn't a banned breed? This would of course be return trips and not leaving the MH on the mainland as in question 5 below.

5) One idea is to start a long period of travel through Europe and to leave the motorhome there. Example, a month through France to Spain, then fly home, then several months later, back out for a another month or so, rinse and repeat. Apart form obvious costs and secure storage issues, has anyone done this?

Thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Wherever you go, take the dog with you. :gum: