Where to register a new Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
If one was to buy a new German Motorhome which will be used for touring Europe, but when not doing that will spend longish periods at addresses in the U.K.and Portugal where would be the best place to register it ? In theory it could have English, German or Portuguese registration plates, we know the Portuguese are pretty hot on foreign registered vehicles overstaying the allowed six months, but to base it there is expensive, does the the same problem occur here with foreign registered vehicles? Any ideas or first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I don't want to sound unhelpful but there are some other similar recent threads. The bottom line seems to be that if you are fiscally resident in the UK you have to register the vehicle in the UK if you ever want to bring it into this country legally. If you spend more than 6 months each year in Portugal and do not want to drive the MH in UK then register it there. I feel sure others will expand on what I have said.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Additionally you can only register it where your licence is supplied from, which should be the same as your residency, as otherwise the licence would need changingas well.

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Additionally you can only register it where your licence is supplied from, which should be the same as your residency, as otherwise the licence would need changingas well.
not true - if you move countries within the EU your UK EU compliant licence remains legal until it expires or unless you commit a traffic offence that requires points on your licence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back