London, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,
Hope you are well.
New to motorhome but before buying one we will hire one up to max 7m for a few days.
How do you look for where to go in a motorhome?
Do you use an app or do you just start driving and park wherever you decide to rest, watch the scenery, etc.?
Thankyou

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Morning!! I have downloaded the "Search for Sites" app on the recommendation of a fellow member! It is brilliant....not used it yet but plenty of sofa research for when we make our purchase đź‘Ťđź’–

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
I also use searchforsites and judge it well worth the ÂŁ5.99 or so a year. It is my first call when looking for places either here in UK or over in mainland Europe, including camping sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

arkiboys

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning!! I have downloaded the "Search for Sites" app on the recommendation of a fellow member! It is brilliant....not used it yet but plenty of sofa research for when we make our purchase đź‘Ťđź’–
Thankyou

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
If I was hiring a motorhome for the first time I would be tempted to book onto a campsite for the first few nights until I got the hang of it - certainly the first night. I would just search on the internet - pitch up is good one with lots of details. Good luck and have a great time. :giggle:

OP
OP
A

arkiboys

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
If I was hiring a motorhome for the first time I would be tempted to book onto a campsite for the first few nights until I got the hang of it - certainly the first night. I would just search on the internet - pitch up is good one with lots of details. Good luck and have a great time. :giggle:
Good tip.
Thankyou

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Buy a map and decide which area you would like to explore and see what is in the area then head that way, know the etiquette of MH leave no trace.

Fully understand how to use the vehicle and the facilities, know the length, width and height and if you don't like the look of the road don't go down there.

Know how to reverse the thing, if you cant reverse it maybe you should not be driving it.

Last thing enjoy yourselves :clap2:

OP
OP
A

arkiboys

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Buy a map and decide which area you would like to explore and see what is in the area then head that way, know the etiquette of MH leave no trace.

Fully understand how to use the vehicle and the facilities, know the length, width and height and if you don't like the look of the road don't go down there.

Know how to reverse the thing, if you cant reverse it maybe you should not be driving it.

Last thing enjoy yourselves :clap2:
Thankyou

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Not Wales, we have just returned to visit our children, had a long journey and thought we would rest up the night at Bala Resevoir, certainly allowed when we sold our house and set of 7 weeks ago, new signs , no motorhomes no sleeping, a new law has been passed apparently. It does say support local campsites and businesses, I wonder if they would have let us check in at 8.30 pm. Is it good to be back, hell no, can’t wait to go back on the tunnel early September

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We've just bought our first MoHo (in France), without renting one first. We had a caravan years ago, so had a rough idea of the basics. However, we still chose to book onto a site, rather than wildcamp. It gave us a little bit more confidence, just in case we had any issues. We used BROKEN LINK and the process was super easy. We weren't members but it was easy turning up at the barrier, buying a card at the machine and gaining entry to the site. Within minutes of arriving, all the newbie jitters had gone :) Once you have a card you can book in advance so, if you have time between now and hiring a MoHo, buy a card on the website. It'll be posted to you. Then, you can book online, turn up at the site, hold your card up to the machine and the barrier will lift :) Another good site is www.Park4Night.com :)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We use searchforsites, campercontact, Camperstop, park4night and Britstops.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve found a lot of nice sites by just typing campsites into google maps for the area we want to visit.
There are a lot that don’t advertise or are part of a club on the main sites on the internet.
It can be a bit frustrating though when you can’t check availability for a site especially when it’s late in the day though.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi and welcome to FUN. (y) You have used up for free posts as you can see, if you subscribe, you’ll get your money back in advice.
arkiboys and instead of using a post to thank people if you hover over the thumbs up/Like option you can show your thanks there. Welcome to Fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back