When Is An Awning Not An Awning? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Just joining in on a thread about least used items in MoHos and one of the items mentioned was awnings. Reading this thread (and information os other websites) it's become apparent that an awning is not always an awning! :oops:

Awning can be anything from 'just the wind-out bit' to 'the wind-out bit plus sides and front'. Mostly in France, 'awning' means just the wind-out bit but mostly in the UK 'awning' seems to mean the wind-out bit plus sides and front :) Every day's a school day :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our awning is just the wind out bit. Once you start adding sides etc., you're stuck to some extent. When we're away, we tend to go out every day. It's my idea of hell to spend time staying put.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We interpret ‘awning’ as our wind-out Fiamma and other structures as “side tents”, based on our camper van days.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The pro's and cons of wind out awnings ...

Pro's - they seem like a good idea - who wouldn't want a bit of shade that travels with you?

Cons - they take up payload (if you have 500kg free payload and it weighs 50kg it is taking a 10th of it)
Some sites charge extra for awnings - the width the van takes up with it extended
They can cause damage to your MH if left out in the wind
They can rot if put away wet
They can catch on trees etc - closed extra width
They dictate which way round you need to park at some sites
You can never find the tool to work it ...
You can't drive off and leave your swag in it like a pup tent ...
(these are the ones that spring readily to mind)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got tons of payload, but virtually no storage. Hanging most of a tent on the outside of the van is a good solution for me.

Plus they take a minute to wind in and out. Even an inflatable takes many times longer.

For me, I only make occasional use of the wind-out, mainly as shade. I'd never bother with a drive-away awning because I just don't stay in one place long enough.

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
On the Caravan and motorhome club site, they ask if you want to book a pitch with awning or without. I usually booked an awning pitch as we often wind out our awning (but don't use sides etc). On closer reading I found that the wind out canopy doesn't count as an awning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
On the Caravan and motorhome club site, they ask if you want to book a pitch with awning or without. I usually booked an awning pitch as we often wind out our awning (but don't use sides etc). On closer reading I found that the wind out canopy doesn't count as an awning.
So I'm not the only one that's confused by whether I'm allowed to wind-out!...

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is the justification is that full-on tents damage the grass, so they charge a bit extra? Or is it just space required?

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Got a 5 m wind out awning on mine, okay it’s out at the moment, as it’s 34 deg here in Croatia, BUT, On reflection Id rather just have a 6mm rail fitted on both sides (lighter, less obstructive ) and carry an awning sheet in the garage

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
We bought a big parasol and base as you can move it around the van as the earth does its orbit around the sun so you are not sitting on the same side of the van, in the event of strong winds, just wind it down, and if the *hound* decides it wants to go and be fussed by anyone, it does not cost us £65 for a replacement leg as the lead and dog wipe out the support. Its 15kgs for the parasol, base and the weights are filled with water on arrival total cost via flea bay £80, A 3.5 mtr awning, fitting, weight and replacement 10 times more! Downside? We cant have a privacy room, can't think of any other negatives just positives! Not as wide, does not rot, more flexible, not as much weight but does take up a little bit of space in the boot. worth a look at as an alternative Oh and you don't get charged on sites as you can take it down in 10 seconds!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'd say that's going back to when it just used to be known as The Caravan Club & an awning would be a fully enclosed room attached to the side of the caravan.

As far as I know there's no extra charges for the different pitches, some just have a bit more space. Again, thinking of a caravan, car to one side & full awning to the other as opposed to just a MH or caravan & car.

I know that they added 'Motorhome' to the title a few years ago but they basically think a MH is the same as a caravan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back