Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My Mum's care home have asked me to get Mum a wheelchair due to her being less mobile. It's going to be mainly used to get her from her room downstairs and back again, although when she is able to be taken out it will be needed then so it needs to be lightweight and foldable but importantly nice and comfy for Mum.

I've done a bit of googling and have discounted 'self-propelled' ones (ie big wheels at the rear) so am looking at 'transport' wheelchairs I think (ie ones which are pushed).

As I've never had to buy a wheelchair before so can those who have experience of them (users and pushers) please let me know what I need to look for in order to get one for Mum. She's not heavy or large but I notice they do come in different seat widths, some are described as compact and others seem to be a standard size (approximately 18" across the seat). I know she'll need adjustable footrests so they are at the right height for her, some have 'carer brakes' others done, is there anything I need to be aware of?

Ta in advance.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We bought one of these from Amazon as a fallback in case it was needed for Yvette's dad a couple of Xmas ago. It did not get used and now resides in the spare bedroom just in case.
Appears to be good quality as we were not going buy one we were not confident was up to the job.
You can apply to get the VAT back in certain cases.

Amazon product ASIN B00CWANFIK

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I must admit, I bought one nearly new off gumtree £50. Think I got £30 back on it at a car boot sale 5 years later. Had small wheels and folded up quite small a pusher only as neither mothers strong enough to self propel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The bigger the wheels, the comfier the ride.

I bought Mother one with small wheels because it was lightweight for putting in the car but she complained about being uncomfortable.

Some of the ones with big wheels have quick release mechanisms to take the wheels off to make them lighter for lifting.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
don't go with one too wide for mum. You need to be a couple of inches wider than her torso and hips. A good compromise for most is an 18 inch, but available from 16 up through to huge. Look for one that folds down small for putting in the car, maybe even an air transportable that goes in it's own bag

If it were me, I would suggest looking for the red cross locally or charity shops. Sadly with such types of chairs they often only get used a few times. Then they are a reminder and become a nuisance in the way for the family

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Ours was one with large wheels at the back, much easier to push and manoeuvre over curbs etc. when we went shopping I could push the trolley and she could move around in the wheelchair or could actually get out and push it for a short time, easy to fold up and put in the back of the car. Arms dropped down and footrests removed made it quite small. I’m sure one could be hired for a few days to try out for ease of use.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Ableworld did a fitting for my FIL and they have a good range to try depending on your budget. The pavements in his area are OK but it was a real effort to push it more than a few hundred yards even with pneumatic tyres (don't even think about solid tyres). It folded into the back of our Freelander quite neatly but you'd struggle in a saloon car.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Local adverts, gumtree is a good place why pay hundreds for something you can get for £50 just as good…

As said bigger wheels best especially on the front as hitting a small stone will send you over the handle bars..

And don’t go too wide, generally speaking get one as small as you can as long as it fits your mum…😎

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The bigger the wheels, the comfier the ride.

I bought Mother one with small wheels because it was lightweight for putting in the car but she complained about being uncomfortable.

Some of the ones with big wheels have quick release mechanisms to take the wheels off to make them lighter for lifting.

This ⬆️.

Unless you have a specific reason to prefer/need the small wheel variety, you’ll be making a big mistake in not getting a large (rear) wheel variety. They are soo much better.

Ian

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This ⬆️.

Unless you have a specific reason to prefer/need the small wheel variety, you’ll be making a big mistake in not getting a large (rear) wheel variety. They are soo much better.

Ian
I assumed the bit rear wheels one were purely for those who didn't require pushing, ie self-propelled, so had discounted them. This is the reason I started this thread as I have no knowledge of using them at all and don't want to get something that's going to be wrong for my Mum.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Small wheels if you intend lots of in and out of cars, also for indoor use. Big wheels for comfort out and about yes however my mum had a habit of putting her hand on the wheels and letting the brakes off. That's another point attendant handle bar brakes are best.
Had both and used the small wheels daily, with extra cushion pads for seat and back as she got more frail.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I assumed the bit rear wheels one were purely for those who didn't require pushing, ie self-propelled, so had discounted them. This is the reason I started this thread as I have no knowledge of using them at all and don't want to get something that's going to be wrong for my Mum.

There is no disadvantage (that I’m aware of anyway) in having a large wheel chair whether, or not, the seated individual can self propel.

The only circumstance where I’d consider a small wheel variety would be if the wheelchair would only ever be used indoors and where there was no risk of ever encountering a stepped/ridged door threshold.

The major advantage of the large wheel variety is the comfort experienced by the seated individual. That and the ability to cross stepped/ridged door thresholds.

Hope that clarifies/helps.

Ian

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hey Minxy, I am astonished to find that care home residents have to supply their own wheel chairs for internal use, especially with the fees that are charging these days, I think its taking the Pee quite honestly, and would have to have a word with them, they must have loads stashed away somewhere when people pass on. When my mum passed on it took several phone calls over 2/3 months to arrange a collection for all the hoists, commode, walking frames etc that the social services had given her to live at home independently, with a full care package that is no longer available if you have any savings.
Good Luck.
LES

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
1: Dad had a chair with solid tyres. It was awful for travelling over anything rougher than a baby’s bottom!

2: SiL is looking for one now. Approximately £150 new but we can get one foc on permanent loan from a local charity. Obviously we will give them a donation.

Good luck - Gordon

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Fun Bot might help out?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hey Minxy, I am astonished to find that care home residents have to supply their own wheel chairs for internal use, especially with the fees that are charging these days, I think its taking the Pee quite honestly, and would have to have a word with them, they must have loads stashed away somewhere when people pass on.
It's not a massive home (it only has 32 beds) and very few actually use wheelchairs so I don't think they have any 'spares' stashed away as at present they are borrowing one from another resident for Mum hence she needs her own.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
When it was time to get a chair I visited;

Theyhad lots of stock, guided and advised. Then I took mum and she spent an afternoon test driving the options offered.

If thereisa branch close to you, I recommend a visit.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We took my MIL to a mobility shop to allow her to test various chairs to see which one was most comfortable for her....the only stipulation is that it had to be fairly light and fold down to go in the car. They were really great and had her try out lots of them until she was happy....some of the chairs looked great but she didn't find them that comfy and in the end she chose one of these. It was fairly pricey, but it also made our lives much easier as getting it in and out of the car was a doddle....not only was it really lightweight, it folded down really small and the large wheels just popped off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The comfort suggestion is relevant, but easily sorted with a pressure relief cushion. Not cheap but essential if the person will spend extended periods in the chair

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The chair is mainly meant to get her from her room on the first flood to the ground floor lounge, dining area etc. Whilst she'd likely sit in it whilst she had her meal afterwards she'd sit in one of the lounge chairs so wouldn't be spending hours in it. Obviously when she's taken out for trips etc she'd be in it but again not for a long time and it being able to be quickly and easily folded/dismantled to go into a car is important, it therefore needs to be fairly light too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think I've found one for her! We were waiting to see if there was anything at the car boot sale tomorrow (there was one a couple of weeks ago! :( ) but did a search on Gumtree this afternoon and this popped up so instead we're going to pick it up in the morning, it's about half an hour or so away but I'm sure it'll be ideal for her and quite 'snazzy' looking too ... she doesn't do 'dull'! :giggle:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think I've found one for her! We were waiting to see if there was anything at the car boot sale tomorrow (there was one a couple of weeks ago! :( ) but did a search on Gumtree this afternoon and this popped up so instead we're going to pick it up in the morning, it's about half an hour or so away but I'm sure it'll be ideal for her and quite 'snazzy' looking too ... she doesn't do 'dull'! :giggle:

Bargain. :clap2:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looks good, saved yourself a few bob there…😎
I'm hoping that she'll like it and not spit her dummy out as she does normally when I buy her some stuff ... hopefully if she gets some strength back she should be able to walk pushing it or using the rollator we got her, or even with nothing at all, but regardless when she is taken for a trip out it will certainly make things a lot easier on all of us!

She wants to go to the Humber Bridge as she walked across it many years ago with her church for charity but obviously she couldn't walk over it now ... I've told her if she gets better I'll take her ... I'll just have to be careful that I don't 'stumble' and accidentally tip her over the side of the bridge. :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As it's a petite version, I hope it fits your mum. No idea of her size of course, but we found although my mum looked small and fragile, she still had a wide pelvis and when the home put her in the wrong chair, it hurt her hips. No issue with the slightly wider chair we bought her

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As it's a petite version, I hope it fits your mum. No idea of her size of course, but we found although my mum looked small and fragile, she still had a wide pelvis and when the home put her in the wrong chair, it hurt her hips. No issue with the slightly wider chair we bought her
Like mother like son? :giggle:

No she's not massive fortunately especially since she lost weight yonks ago and has never put it back on, not that she was big even then, but she does have an issue with her too-large trousers falling down at inopportune moments. :giggle:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

Those front wheels look a bit small and you may end up tipping your mum out of the chair even on the smallest bump if she's not wearing the safety belt. Also the foot rests really need to be removable or at least able to swing around the side of the chair to make it easier to get in out of tight spaces like car doors etc.
A must have extra is also a nice sheepskin cushion as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back