Wheelchair and rain (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
is not a good combination. Just the one day in the lovely medieval town of Angermunde showed us the downside. So if anyone has any suggestions.....let me explain. We arrived in Angermunde and wanted to go to the restaurant we found last year on the Mundesee. It wasn't raining then, but it was just a lull, so I donned my Regatta, Steve donned his waterproof coat and hat and off we set. :clown: Angermunde is on a hill, the Mundesee is down the hill on the other side down little cobbled streets to boot. So it's head down, body low and push, up the hill, bumpty, bump, bumpty bump....and rest. :hot: Ok off again assuming the position and bumpty, bump, and we're up. Then it's a faster bumpty bump as we start downhill, not so much pushing this time as holding it back. ;)So that's set the scene. So we have our meal and are faced with the return journey, on a full stomach and its lashing down, so up goes the hood, but it keeps falling over my eyes, so I tighten it,but now my glasses are exposed so I still can't see, so I end up wearing Steves hat and he puts his hood up, which stays put when he moves his head so he can't see at corners, like blinkers on a horse. So we are both blind when attempting to cross roads. :eek:Hat worked for me except for the rain running down my neck. But Steves coat has creased across the Middle and is collecting water, which overflows soaking into his thighs. :(By now his gloves and hands are wringing wet too so all traction has gone and the wheelchair wheels are slipping as we plunge downhill at an even faster rate of bumpty bump! o_OResult was two very wet individuals, one wheelchair that needed airing, a pair of trousers that took three days to dry out and two waterproof coats that took two days to dry.....we were pretty exhausted too.:wink:...I should be thin. Why aren't I thin? :think::think:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
A lot of people don't appreciate what it is like in a wheelchair if they've never tried it.

Well done, though.

Wyn

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
This might allready be available,but,could you not aproach someone like "AS Electric Bikes and ask if he could knock up a clip/bolt on gadget that could "Assist?" the wheelchair.
I have only spoken to him at a couple of shows,but it seems if anyone could do this,he could,as he seems very hands on. Just a thought,love the story,you will look back and have many a laugh of this trip/meal. Stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
What about trying one of those huge poncho type cape things. They have a hood. Maybe you could cut holes and tape them so the handles of the chair poke through. You could some how fix it behind the wheel to stop it trapping ?

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Love it, but really impressed you found a downhill route there and back :)(y)

Ah! I think you mis understand the situation. I will attempt to draw it for you........ ----------n-------

--------- = aire
n = hill

--------- = restaurant

See up and down both ways. Admittedly the up pushing back was less steep, but longer, but then again the final drop back to the aire was quite dramatically steep when one had no traction and I was hanging on to the wheelchair like grim death!! :rofl:

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
What about trying one of those huge poncho type cape things. They have a hood. Maybe you could cut holes and tape them so the handles of the chair poke through. You could some how fix it behind the wheel to stop it trapping ?

Stupidly, we left it at home.....well it is summer.....:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi.
This might allready be available,but,could you not aproach someone like "AS Electric Bikes and ask if he could knock up a clip/bolt on gadget that could "Assist?" the wheelchair.
I have only spoken to him at a couple of shows,but it seems if anyone could do this,he could,as he seems very hands on. Just a thought,love the story,you will look back and have many a laugh of this trip/meal. Stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag

For the moment we prefer to use the manual wheelchair without all the hassle of having to bolt on batteries and recharge them etc. Usually we avoid such situations but Angermunde is an exception as it's such a pretty little town.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Always wear a baseball cap under a hood - then the hood turns with your head.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We had a w/chair at first which is not only hard going but also found that people always spoke to me ,the pusher, rather than my wife who was in the chair. .Then we bought a small electric scooter which gave my wife a lot more independence, it was carried on the bike rack minus the battery.We had plastic capes for both ,they work well and fold up really small.
Ps They reckon they're no good on uneven ground but I just gave her a push when needed.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Always wear a baseball cap under a hood - then the hood turns with your head.
Well thanks for that....how have we reached the age of 63/64 and not known that......:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I
We had a w/chair at first which is not only hard going but also found that people always spoke to me ,the pusher, rather than my wife who was in the chair. .Then we bought a small electric scooter which gave my wife a lot more independence, it was carried on the bike rack minus the battery.We had plastic capes for both ,they work well and fold up really small.
Ps They reckon they're no good on uneven ground but I just gave her a push when needed.

I think I would struggle to put a scooter on the bike rack and I find batteries a bit too heavy to lug on my own. My upper body strength is rubbish.....no testosterone!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I

I think I would struggle to put a scooter on the bike rack and I find batteries a bit too heavy to lug on my own. My upper body strength is rubbish.....no testosterone!!
Why not look to get one of the ones that you can break down into sections, rather than a 'rigid' one, there are lots around and it may solve the problem ... no pushing from you (except if really steep etc), and the 'rider' has control of where he goes rather than being directed there by the pusher!

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
My wife uses a mobility scooter AKA the buggy. It will just fit through the door of the van, and if we have the towed car with us it goes in the back of that (and is not taking up floor space in the van). In either case it is dismantled so that I can easily lift it. Charging the battery is easy enough if on EHU or a PSW inverter would do the job OK.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back