Wheel nuts check (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
One of my pet hates is wheel nuts done up with a windy gun that need the strength of Hercules to undo. I have the wheels off to check brakes and hubs, at least twice a year, and always use a torque wrench to do them up.
Never witnessed that.. they always start with windy gun and then go round and tighten with torque wrench.......

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Excuse me, but I check my nuts regularly. :wink: :LOL:
The Boss Lady often gives us a hand!!
That's why I call her "Spanner" :rofl: :imoutahere:
Jake Gyllenhaal Goodbye GIF by MOODMAN

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
So your brakes have not been serviced or indeed properly checked in 6yrs????
That was covered before by someone on here who owns a garage and explained checking brakes etc without removing the wheels. It was on a similar thread about wheels being stuck on. I can’t remember the poster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
It is often possible to check the remaining amount of friction material left on pads without removing a wheel, But a good idea I’m not so sure, On mine wheels of once a year standing on axle stand after raising with a bottle Jack, Interesting that in the Peugeot Boxer handbook the torque setting is for dry threads ie no ( copper ease )

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It is often possible to check the remaining amount of friction material left on pads without removing a wheel, But a good idea I’m not so sure, On mine wheels of once a year standing on axle stand after raising with a bottle Jack, Interesting that in the Peugeot Boxer handbook the torque setting is for dry threads ie no ( copper ease )
The copper grease is on the back of the wheels not the threads , it’s to stop them sticking on

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That was covered before by someone on here who owns a garage and explained checking brakes etc without removing the wheels. It was on a similar thread about wheels being stuck on. I can’t remember the poster.

Yes you can see the pads & whether they have enough on them.What you can't do is take the outer lip off with a file/flap wheel so you can check the discs are not undersize as they are also a service item now that asbestos pads have been done away with.
I assume the Fiat studs are slimmer
They might be conical? Transit is higher I think because it is a flat washered nut that is just clamping.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes you can see the pads & whether they have enough on them.What you can't do is take the outer lip off with a file/flap wheel so you can check the discs are not undersize as they are also a service item now that asbestos pads have been done away with.

They might be conical? Transit is higher I think because it is a flat washered nut that is just clamping.
I guess it’s down to what is listed on the service that the garage gives a price for. A service is a very vague statement, and goitre by how cheap most want it done I should imagine that the price doesn’t cover removing the wheels. Everything is down to money.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'd recommend, one of these for getting the wheel nuts undone.

Amazon product ASIN B002PMJ2LE
And one of these for doing them back up.

Amazon product ASIN B009YTQFH0
If buying torque wrenches make sure you get one that's been calibrated, it should have a calibration certificate with it.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Re Alloy wheels sticking onto the hubs
A safer way than crawling under with a hammer (big hammers and alloy wheels don't mix well) along with the crap supplied jack,cant think many carry axel stands.
Slacken all the nuts about four turns
Drive forward and brake then the same in reverse
This should be enough to break them free
Re jack up van and proceed as normal
Some copper slip on the mating surface is the best solution as others have said
Don't let grease get on the taper of the wheel bolts though

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Torque Wrenches are relatively inexpensive these days. I keep one in the van and unfortunately have had to use it several times. Sequence tighten the I go around for a final check. When I had a proper job I used to be involved with Multi spindle nutrunners for various MVI assembly applications including fitting wheels.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Use Impact socketrs Hex (6pt) not BiHex (12pt) and preferably surface drive.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I just carry a torque wrench with an impact socket, its big enough to undo them and capable of tightening them correctly, also as it is carried by my handbrake could come in handy for any other problems

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I just carry a torque wrench with an impact socket, its big enough to undo them and capable of tightening them correctly, also as it is carried by my handbrake could come in handy for any other problems
BIG BIG no no... torque wrenches are precition tools and should NEVER be used to undo any nuts/bolts
They are designed to (as it says on the tin) torque up nuts/ bolts.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
So as mine can also torque left hand threads as found on small trucks say a transit 35 cwt twin wheel up to 44 ton artics it cannot be used to undo a wheel nut. The only thing is to release the tension when not using it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back