What would you like be improved about your vehicles? (1 Viewer)

tiretracks

Free Member
Jan 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Good afternoon everyone

I am a 2nd year university student studying transport design. My current project involves working in a team to investigate the ergonomic and inclusive design issues of camper vans and caravans and then later in the semester I will be designing and making an ergonomic rig with the rest of my team.

For us to make the best design/most user-friendly design possible, I need to know what you like and dislike and what you would like to be improved on to make living with and living inside your camper van/caravan more user friendly.

For those interested in this, could you post your experiences with these vehicles/tents (what you like, don’t like, would improve on) along with the make and model/brand of the product and possibly, if you are ok with it, an image or two of the interior of the vehicle

Thank you in advance

FB

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The design is usually fine, there are lots of different layouts and interior types and we choose the one we want.
I think what we can all agree on is a massive improvement would be a bit more attention to detail and care taken during assembly. It wouldn't even cost much, a bit of sealent here, an extra screw there, put things up level and maybe thicker plastic in places.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If it is to be inclusive, it must be usable for tall people. The majority of beds in vans are just not wide enough or long enough.
To get over this we have chosen an IH 630RL with a bed that we do have to make up every night but it is large and comfy. The rear U shaped lounge also has comfy corners for day and evening lounging.

I would love a bigger washroom but that would mean a much bigger MH and so we have compromised which everyone has to do. When you list priorities, we all have different things as most important. After bed size, ease of drivability and parking more or less where we like was more important for us, than a big washroom.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We are very happy with our 2004 Autosleeper Inca, if I had some spare cash (in truth could convince the Mrs), I'd go for reupholstering/refurbishing th interior.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I think there is basic dichotomy between the manufacturing targets of the two core elements of a motorhome. The original transport "van" is designed to be used commercially doing maybe 100,000 miles per annum carrying cargo efficiently with minimum maintenance hammering up and down motorways. The vehicle having low inherent retained value after 3-5 years, when most fleet operations would sell on. So Fiat/Sevel/Mercedes/Renault design for this target customer.
The motorhome converter target customer seeks a durable longevity for the high value components, where the internal devices, fridges/cookers/bathrooms/heating/electricals & upholstry are expected to be durable for 10-20years. The vehicle is used and may take over a decade to reach a moderate milage of 60,000.
How these differing targets are both serviced by the same base vehicle is a testament to how far manufacturing quality has progressed.
We all have our own pet ideas how to obtain the best outcome, I personally consider a stringent maintenance regime fundamental. However whichever way you approach it there are compromises.

Gerry

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don’t think there’s a one size fits all. As Riverbankannie notes, they need long beds, but to small people, long beds would be a waste of space.
The problem is, unless you know all manufacturers layouts, your suggestion of an improvement might already be common practice among a different manufacturer.
I guess it will be the same with everything.
you only get exactly what you want if you commission someone to carry out your own designs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
being disabled, I find most motorhome seating uncomfortable. reclining sofas would be great. they are fitted in some american rv's

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
One size does not fit all, hence the massive variety of campervan and motorhomes in height, width and length. Most have to be compromises somewhere, usually eminating from the base vehicle on which the camper / home is built. As yet, and for the relativity small numbers involved there is no purpose built base vehicle, all being based on a commercial vehicle, and that might be where a design focus might lie rather than what actually goes in it, especially when one then has to fit around weight of the finished and equipped home to suit you average driving licence.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a FIAT Ducato based ADRIA motorhome.
likes;
Build quality, modern materials and design.
fixed bed with proper mattresses, (dont have to make the bed every night.)
good size "bathroom" with shower, hand basin, toilet and wardrobe inside, plus enough room to get wiped and dressed inside.
good sized fridge freezer.
good sized sink and good 3 burner gas hob.
low profile body little affected by winds and easy drive.
5 belted passenger seats
reasonable storage space with full external access.
reasonable payload.

Dislikes;
Crap gas oven.
small amount of kitchen worktop.
the way the extra bed is assembled for the 3rd birth is like a jigsaw!
modern base vehicles are troublesome with the relatively low mileage done by motorhomes.
not only no spare wheel, but ther is absolutely no place to carry one under or in the vehicle.
and. the supplied tyre pump and goo is about as much use as a " chocolate teapot"!

dislike on most motorhomes; pots, pans, crockery, glasses, other stored items.... nearly always rattle :) towels padding etc is mostly used to dampen this.
The 3.5 Tonne that converters insist on cramming everything into to fit driving licences result in little or no payload or over weight vehicles.

would improve:
the difficulty with motorhomes is that they are ALWAYS! a compromise unless they are huge and cost a lottery win.
Better performance from engine as std; i.e. ours was a 130 bhp now 180 bhp and more importantly significant extra torqe.
better design of the sit around dinette, for lounging.
most fit a few standard extras like, wind out awning, reversing camera, and bike rack; perhaps these should be incorporated in the design and standard fittings.
improved suspension from the standard commercial van for smoother ride.

a few thoughts hope they help.....

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I would like all the suppliers to motorhome manufacturers take a good look at how much things weigh. It is rare to find a sub 3500kg van with more than 500kg payload. If the fridge, heater, cooker etc were to fitted to an aircraft they would be much lighter.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd like a foot rest on the revolving front seats. I know there may be an issue with the driver's seat if it was faulty and deployed whilst on the move but I am sure there could be a safety interlock.

There really isn't a seat that is lounge comfy for any length of time and I often sit crosswise on the bed with my back against a bulkhead and pillows behind me and under my knees to give some comfort.

I love the motorhome we have now as far as layout is concerned. Apart from the seating being uncomfortable for relaxing the only other thing I would change is to have the floor level throughout as there is a step between galley and dinette.

Deleted User
As with all motorhome and camper vans, comfort while sitting inside is difficult, if someone could raise the windows at the bed and seating area, creating a back rest that’s 105 cms high from the seat that has an angle like a sofa back, one would be on a winner, sitting for long periods where the lower back is supported but the shoulders and neck are not is tiring and makes one uncomfortable. Storage is also a problem I am sure that if a long wheelbase high roof could be made on axles 2.4 metres wide additional storage could be made into the walls even in the smallest of vans..beds could be 6’2 and have space around it. I’m sure that Ducato could make vans 2.4 wide...

Deleted User
Just as a second thought, a 4-6 berth motorhome with a 2 berth layout would give real space for the couple owner, the problem is all 2 berths are scaled down in size no on3 seems to take a big 6 berth but fit it out as a 2 berth with loads of room....

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
As has been said there is no one size fits all. However, there is room for very clever designs that could make a huge difference. For instance, electric beds that drop down from the roof. Perhaps motorhomes with slideouts which are common in the US, but rare here. Also clever storage ideas such as under-floor slideouts for storage.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
. For instance, electric beds that drop down from the roof.

Just look at some of the problems which have been reported of these devices failing. Technology can be wonderful but it can also generate extra problems (and may eat into payload).

As has been said: compromise and personal choice!

Some things are difficult to change; why not take one item eg hob, sink, shower and come up with some suggestions for improvements then ask for feedback?

Gordon

Just watching some recordings from Nov/Dec of "Return to the Chateau". Dick SW butchered a magnificent wedding bus to build his own campervan but I liked the idea of a gas burner which folded into the sink. His "outside/inside" kitchen was clearly going to be too high when outside but too low when inside: nice ideas but some lack of foresight IMO.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd like to be able to move the table from the dinette to outside. That would only need a rail fitting to the outside in the right place and at the right height.

The supplied table is very heavy and unwieldy but forms the base of one of the additional berths. Perhaps some work on making the table lighter, easier to move and yet still strong enough to form a bed base?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got a Euromobil 690HB which is an A Class 4 berth MH. Very happy with the van. The only thing I would like is a large fridge/freezer but that would be a no go for me as I would lose too much worktop and as I cook in the van most of the time I need that space!

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
As already said the seating could mayb reclining somehow as the dinettes especially can b so narrow and uncomfortable

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
The two main things I would like to see in M/H design is (A) Instead of having a massive weight exagerating long overhang Caused by leverage build all M/H at 7.5 mtr and over on on long wheel base ie put the rear axle a meter further back, and (B) Make the 3ltr engine an option again as its false economy building M/H on the one size fits all 2.3 (fiat). It lacks the torque and economy of the 3ltr which is ideal for well equiped and sometimes loaded to the limit M/Hs even with the new BHP figures they come with.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If manufacturers concentrated more on quality of finish and attention to detail rather than trying to throw in all the “bells and whistles” they would do better.

The ever increasing introduction of electronics is proving counter productive in many areas. When heating/water heating/fridge controls were manually operated there were few problems. With electronics failing, mis matched software etc reliability has decreased rather than increased.

Lower cost simplicity rather than high cost complication would be appreciated.

Basic designs and layout are fairly good. Quality of finish and unrealistically low payloads are problematic.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I'd like a foot rest on the revolving front seats.
Hi.
Have a look at the designed one for the Widfax Constellation3. Maybe on others ( It would be a simple build/retro fit) just the job...And folds away,sorted .
Tea Bag

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Is the water tightness of the various companies really as advertised?
Would a monocoque construction be a better bet as examplified by Wingamm vans?
Would it possible to give the customer some choice of kitcen and bathroom configuration.
that is, be able to have choice of whether the sink is on the left of the hob , or on the right. 2 burner hob rather than three. Guess I am suggesting some bespoke possibilities for the customer.
Travel seats for passengers that have a sloping back rather than straight up, and how space behind could be utilised.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As an Idea. Something close to this:- 25ft. 3L Diesel Auto.
1579120245257.png
1579120272674.png

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Sufficient leg room in the khazi. Fed up with banging my knees on the door while having a little sit down.
And enough worktop space in the kitchen. Glass lids on the hob and sink are fine in the day, but that space disappears totally when you're actually cooking.

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
Being relatively new to all of this and having spent a bit of time examining the layouts etc. We found the Nuevo was the best compromise for us, especially as we were buying second hand, I'm sure on the newer MHs some of the list below may have be dealt with . Just a few observations from the trips we have done

Bed very comfy and easy to set up
Swing wall for shower

Dislikes
no height adjustment on the drivers seat, I'm 5'10'' and my head is very close to the top of the windscreen and having to put the seat upright and forward to swing it around
The height & narrowness of the loo seat
Lack of 12v/240 volt outlets all place away from when you need them
when sitting up in bed your head rests on the pull down blinds

Would Likes
longer/pull out under body storage
less rattles and better build quality
external water tank level indicator

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would like a dramatic improvement in quality of assembly and in documentation. Motorhomes appear to be built of reasonable quality parts thrown together by pieceworkers. Detailed documentation appears not to exist because each worker chooses his own way of working. I own a vehicle that, had I bought it new in 2015, would have cost me £115K and yet it as poorly assembled as every caravan and motorhome I've owned over the last 40+ years. Either no-one understands decent workmanship anymore or the manufacturers simply don't care as long as they're out the door as quickly as possible.

Deleted User
We have a Hymer Exsis t-588 on a Fiat. This is our 3rd van and we chose it because it's narrower than usual for ease of manoeuvrability in tight spots, we like the garage, single beds, and fridge freezer. We would change the fridge freezer around for more frozen storage. Also, although not requested, because these vehicles have a long lifespan better rust prevention on the base vehicle would be good and better information in my language as much of the literature is in German. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back