What to see in Ireland? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are crossing from Cairnryan Scotland today to Larne above Belfast and have six weeks to explore Ireland. We like to mosey around driving a few hours a day, stopping for longer if we fancy and normally only really do our planning the day before.
However I would like to include the well known sites (apart from Newgrange and Dublin which we know already)
I have just stumbled upon the Giant Causeway near our planned campsite tonight of Ballycastle so we will visit there tomorrow.
Does anyone have any must see tips? We have a dog so love long walks and scenic spots. Also enjoy a bit of history and culture.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Carrick-a-rede rope bridge isn't far from you ... be careful though! :D2

The Dingle peninsular is IMV better than the Kerry one which most people do, also as well as Newgrange which is amazing make sure you do the other 2 smaller sites too ... Knowth is one of them (can't remember the other) as they are all very different and just as interesting.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Wild Atlantic Way.. from what I have read is a 'must do'. It's on my list of future trips..

Search the forum, I'm sure someone on here had some great photos

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Giant's Causeway is a tourist magnet by all accounts but if you walk a little way from the crowds you can find bits without loads of people around you.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Kinsale, Cobn, the ring of Kerry and New Grange (need to book or get there early as limited numbers).

Dick

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Dick where is Cobn? Don't see that on Google maps

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
The Rock of Cashel is fascinating, with the empahasis on preservation rather than conservation. And the lovely The Apple Caravan Park is not far away if you fancy a glass or two of cider and a night in an orchard... http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/tipperary/apple-camping-and-caravan-park . C13 Cahir Castle is another interesting visit. If you "do" the Ring Of Kerry, it's best to travel anti-clockwise (i.e. the same way as the coaches) to avoid lots of squeezing past coaches on the narrow bits. Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is quite different from Cashel and Cahir, but provides a fascinating insight into life in Ireland's rural past. Nagles' campsite in Doolin is excellent and if you go down to the harbour you may catch sight of a Dolphin. If it's sunny when you're near Roundstone, stop and see the famous Twelve Peaks across from the harbour. You'll have gathered by now that we didn't wild camp on this trip (2012) and one of our favourite campsites was Clifden Eco Campsite in Connemara. Run by Kris and Tatjana, it stands right on the coast and is a stunning location, whatever the weather http://www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com/ . Make sure that you're using biological additives in your toilet cassette if you want to use their disposal facilities! All the sites probably need checking for availability in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just discovered the wild Atlantic way so that's a great plan to follow.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well worth getting this as soon as you get there too, gets you into lots of places free:

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

Just to go to Newgrange and Knowth would cost you €30, so at €90 for a family ticket its very good value.

Last edited:

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Vicky Butler Henderson from Top Gear & Channel 5 reckoned the coast road from Larne (in Ballycaste direction) is one of the best drives in the world! En route you have little villages called Cushon Dun and Cushendall. One is better than the other but I can't remember which one! You also have Glen Arm and the Glens of Antrim.
Just outside Larrne on that route is Carnfunnock Country Park which is a good place to let the dog loose! I think you can park overnight but you would have to check.
When I had a motorbike that area was one of my favourites.
I presume you are travelling anti clockwise. From Ballycastle I would have a look at Castlerock. Huge long beach and Normally deserted again I think you can park overnight. You pass through Coleraine en route to there which is on the river ban and possibly worth a stroll.
Londonderry is worth a stop and a walk around the walls for a bit of history. The town was under seize in the 1600s and this where you get the Apprentice boys history from. Peeps here refer to it as Londonderry and they will be the loyalists and the nationalists refer to it as Derry. That's a little clue when someone calls it either of the two.
Moving on into Donegal I would follow the coast and visit the Bundorin area and head towards Malin Head.
They were filming Star Wars up there a little while ago and had built a replica of the Millennium Falcon. They have probably finished by now but possibly not.
There is a fishing port called Killybegs where you can park on the Quay further south.As you continue around the coast you will pass Galway and Sligo but area worth a look.
I would recommend Westport as a stop. You can park overnight on the quays and it's a popular area. You have Clew Bay which they say has a thousand island in it. It's not unknown for the Irish to exaggerate lol.
Retracing yours step a little way I would most definitely visit Achille Island. It's attached to the mainland so no ferry needed lol. Plenty of places to stop and admire the view. If it's a wicked day it's great to see the Atlantic at its finest!
Just south of Westport is Croagh Patrick which has a shrine to St Patrick. I don't know how fit you are but you can walk up it and get fantastic views over Clew Bay. Clew Bay was the base for an infamous female Irish pirate!
Further on I would visit the area of Linane, a nice village and good views of some lakes. There is a circular route from Westport via Linane.
As you head south you will eventually cross the river Shannon and head towards County Kerry. You obviously have the ring of Kerry which is scenic. Just make sure you go in the direction of the tourist buses which I think is anti clockwise otherwise you will be stopping and starting in order to pass each other.
The Dingle peninsula is very nice and you can take a boat trip from dingle and see a famous local dolphin whose name I can't remember!
There is an island in Bantry Bay called Glengarrif which is famous for its horticulture as apparently it sits right in the Gulf Stream and has its own micro climate.
I have to say the whole area is lovely and some beautiful deserted beaches which you won't believe.
Other places to visit are Tralee and I think it's called the Rock of Cashel where you can kiss the Blarney Stone something which clearly a number of members on here have kissed lol
That should do you for now. Please check the route for restrictions etc as I have never driven a motorhome along that way and I am aware som of it along the Wild Atlantic Way is best avoided.
There is an Android/Apple app called something like motorhome Ireland parking. The base version is free but I would suggest paying the yearly subscription fee of £5 as apparently it contains absolutely loads of poi and parking locations both wild and campsite. I understand wild parking is exstremely popularly over here here.
I know I have missed some places along the way but that's my memory these days.
You will have a great time. It's one of the reasons I am researching buying a motorhome!
Kind regards - Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
50yrs ago I stopped near Galway and watched a spectacular sunset over the bay. Bunratty Castle, nearby, had a very interesting collection of relocated buildings. It all started with a farmhouse that was in the way of a runway extension. Go Native & take your time, drink Guinness. South West was best as far as I was concerned.

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks
Cobh. Near to Cork. It was where the Titanic stopped on its voyage and where huge numbers of Irish emigrated from to USA during the famine.
There is motor home parking there.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Other places to visit are Tralee and I think it's called the Rock of Cashel where you can kiss the Blarney Stone something which clearly a number of members on here have kissed lol

You'll need a very long neck to kiss the Blarney Stone from Cashel..........about 100kms long :rofl::rofl:

Queues for The Blarney Stone can be verrry long :(

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Thanks
It's the old port of Cork (pronounced Cove) formally known as Queens town. It was the last European port for transatlantic liners. Large museum to the potato famine emigration to the States. Also the last stop of the titanic and luscitina

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you like the music & you are working your way down the west coast, of the places already mentioned, Doolin & Westport are both good places to find some excellent playing. O'Connor's in Doolin & I would think Matt Molloy's is probably the best known in Westport.

Doonbeg is another hotbed of traditional Irish music & there is a campsite right on the coast there run by funster Jamie Hunter @jimiol . See http://strandcampingdoonbeg.com/

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Ireland is wonderful but we found that the roads and villages were not motor home friendly. Few laybys and height barriers in most villages.
However we loved it.
Galway and WAW. Cliffs of Moher. Try stopping at pubs for the night usually very helpful.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Vicky Butler Henderson from Top Gear & Channel 5 reckoned the coast road from Larne (in Ballycaste direction) is one of the best drives in the world! En route you have little villages called Cushon Dun and Cushendall. One is better than the other but I can't remember which one! You also have Glen Arm and the Glens of Antrim.
Just outside Larrne on that route is Carnfunnock Country Park which is a good place to let the dog loose! I think you can park overnight but you would have to check.
I presume you are travelling anti clockwise. From Ballycastle I would have a look at Castlerock. Huge long beach and Normally deserted again I think you can park overnight. You pass through Coleraine en route to there which is on the river ban and possibly worth a stroll.
Londonderry is worth a stop and a walk around the walls for a bit of history. The town was under seize in the 1600s and this where you get the Apprentice boys history from. Peeps here refer to it as Londonderry and they will be the loyalists and the nationalists refer to it as Derry. That's a little clue when someone calls it either of the two.
Moving on into Donegal I would follow the coast and visit the Bundorin area and head towards Malin Head.
They were filming Star Wars up there a little while ago and had built a replica of the Millennium Falcon. They have probably finished by now but possibly not.
There is a fishing port called Killybegs where you can park on the Quay further south.As you continue around the coast you will pass Galway and Sligo but area worth a look.
I would recommend Westport as a stop. You can park overnight on the quays and it's a popular area. You have Clew Bay which they say has a thousand island in it. It's not unknown for the Irish to exaggerate lol.
Retracing yours step a little way I would most definitely visit Achille Island. It's attached to the mainland so no ferry needed lol. Plenty of places to stop and admire the view. If it's a wicked day it's great to see the Atlantic at its finest!
Just south of Westport is Croagh Patrick which has a shrine to St Patrick. I don't know how fit you are but you can walk up it and get fantastic views over Clew Bay. Clew Bay was the base for an infamous female Irish pirate!
Further on I would visit the area of Linane, a nice village and good views of some lakes. There is a circular route from Westport via Linane.
As you head south you will eventually cross the river Shannon and head towards County Kerry. You obviously have the ring of Kerry which is scenic. Just make sure you go in the direction of the tourist buses which I think is anti clockwise otherwise you will be stopping and starting in order to pass each other.
The Dingle peninsula is very nice and you can take a boat trip from dingle and see a famous local dolphin whose name I can't remember!
There is an island in Bantry Bay called Glengarrif which is famous for its horticulture as apparently it sits right in the Gulf Stream and has its own micro climate.
I have to say the whole area is lovely and some beautiful deserted beaches which you won't believe.
That should do you for now. Please check the route for restrictions etc as I have never driven a motorhome along that way and I am aware som of it along the Wild Atlantic Way is best avoided.
There is an Android/Apple app called something like motorhome Ireland parking. The base version is free but I would suggest paying the yearly subscription fee of £5 as apparently it contains absolutely loads of poi and parking locations both wild and campsite. I understand wild parking is exstremely popularly over here here.
You will have a great time. It's one of the reasons I am researching buying a motorhome!
Kind regards - Martin

OR! -To save yourself from more poorly researched drivel ,from the internet,you could join Motorhomecraic!
well worth a look and with accurate and up to date information.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Grange, prehistoric site and nearby the battle of the Boyne site. Loads of little harbours and places to stop, too many to tell what we saw, I'll have to go back again, to see the ones I saw and those I didn't.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I worked in Coleraine for awhile that was nice there is bushmills whisky place nearby and allsorts of places to visit Smudger is your man for the low down if he is still on here, he was at Newark the other week but I didn't get chance to speak to him

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
If you like the music & you are working your way down the west coast, of the places already mentioned, Doolin & Westport are both good places to find some excellent playing. O'Connor's in Doolin & I would think Matt Molloy's is probably the best known in Westport.

Doonbeg is another hotbed of traditional Irish music & there is a campsite right on the coast there run by funster Jamie Hunter @jimiol . See http://strandcampingdoonbeg.com/
You might have a job listening to any music if you have your dog as we found pubs in Ireland definitely not dog friendly!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Kind regards - Martin

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for this detailed description. We'll certainly be looking at a few of these.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
They obviously get around a bit, they filmed part of it around the Quiraing & the Old Man of Storr on the Isle of Skye!

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Sorry joined this thread late, we've been busy, check an app called motorhome parking Ireland it has free camping spots, an aire or 2 and some campsites all for the cost of a pint in a city centre pub. If coming from Kerry to Galway or the other way check our very small campsite strand camping Doonbeg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Visit the Grange, if you are into ancient History, then you will like it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun