What to look out for in Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I am looking to put around 300w of Monocrystalline Solar on the roof of my (new to me ) motorhome.

It seems there are a bewildering array of Prices in the extreme so as a non techy What am I looking for?

For instance

Are German cells really the best value for money?

Is higher voltage important?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks Les

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Advertised From Germany but usually starting the journey from China.
Saying that have used a few successfully.
Best one I had were a cancelled order from firm in UK 200w that were to go on a roof array.
All monocrystaline

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you buy off a decent company that only sells solar, you know they're not going to be selling cheap rubbish. I got our 150w Chinese made panel from photonic universe and it's great. I emailed them first to ask if I should pay extra for the German made one, the answer I got back went something like this "We sell far more Chinese ones than German and we get good feedback from the sales. Technically the more expensive panels MAY produce more power in cloudy conditions, but it's unproven"

Our Chinese one is good build quality with glass top and sturdy aluminium frame, I think the extra money for the German one just goes on wages. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I bought 3 x 100w panels 2 years ago from sellers that were recommended on Fun, photonic universe IIRC, they were all from China and were good quality.

The "German" ones are probably made in China anyway.

Prices seem to fluctuate like computer memory, probably due to oversupply, I waited for a fall in prices and bought all 3 panels plus fittings for under £250 quid.

Coupled with 330 amps of battery power I've not been short of power since, I lost 2 x Cab & 2 x Hab batteries pre-solar due to illness, always full batteries these days, even in winter.

I originally considered a 240w panel but chose 3 x 100 panels in case of failure, they're fed to 2 x 30 amp pwm solar controllers, again for built in redundancy, as my pot is not bottomless.

Before anyone wants to tell me the benefits of mppt, I already know, pwm's supply more than enough power for me at a fraction of the price.

Hymie

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
Just bought and fitted this last week £112.00 inc' delivery

1566200780319.png

didn't need the controller as linked straight into Sargant control box. All as described pattern on panel nice and tidy very similar construction to the last couple of panels I fitted to a previous M'home. All three of my batteries are showing just over 13v as against 12.3 last week pre panel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last Solar cell factory in Germany closed down years ago, they are all made in China now.
I have 2 decent panels and one cheap one. The cheap one the frame is a bit lighter and the open circuit voltage in bright sun is about ½ volt less, so not quite as good as the more expensive ones but very good value.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just bought and fitted this last week £112.00 inc' delivery

View attachment 325408

didn't need the controller as linked straight into Sargant control box. All as described pattern on panel nice and tidy very similar construction to the last couple of panels I fitted to a previous M'home. All three of my batteries are showing just over 13v as against 12.3 last week pre panel.
Worth fitting a decent solar regulator but that will cost more than your kit. The Sargent regulator is a cheapo PWM unit just bunged in the box.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Best value at the moment assuming you have room are 240 / 260W panels originally intended for domestic use. If you look around you'll find them for £120 or less. Worst way to buy is as a kit - often including a very cheap controller.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Was space restricted when we put solar panel on our van, there really wasn’t much choice over the panel. A friend who installed the solar system on our house took a look at the panel before I fitted it as I wanted advice on just where to drill the frame, he remarked it was as good a Chinese panel as he had seen. He was impressed at the resin smoothness and especially the sealing of terminal box.
Not all Chinese panels are poor and as Lenny pointed out!

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I have just picked up my compactline and after a long day am celebrating with a couple of drams of Sauvignon Blanc read into that bottles (I have always been a pith head hence the Barsteward avatar) anyway so when my head has cleared tomorrow I will be asking more questions.
Practical I am .....Technically Im a complete numpty. :wasntme:

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Take a look at the alt e store channel on YouTube, lots of useful advice and Amy from the alt e store explains really simply the difference between the different setups for solar.
My panel is a spare from a solar farm so it’s big, mounted on a unistrut frame so I can tilt it as it covers the rear sky light.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back