What to do!!!! (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It's a classic, not a typical B Klasse, so lower spec'd (no alko chassis for example)
Personal opinion, that van's worth nearer 20k if in good condition... if in a poor condition, I'm thinking below 20k.

Spend half an hour googling, you'll soon see that 'classics' sell for significantly less. Think the dealer's trying it on.....

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Well i'm certainly gonna get pissed in it :ROFLMAO:

Well Rob that so out of character for you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

ERM..... So how did it get from 2007 to 2003 ????
that is a trade description matter isn't it???

It was built in 2003 registered in 2007.

I did think about the newer style. having never driven one, i can't compare.

The biggest problem is the lack of vehicles with this layout., unless anybody knows different ?.

Karl

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just go's to show about looking at vans because it looks OK in the pictures.....
Camera never lies eh..!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Well Rob that so out of character for you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

The biggest problem is the lack of vehicles with this layout., unless anybody knows different ?.

Karl
Oh OK but where was it for 4 years ???

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.

Karl

Think you could probably have a different model converted cheaper. If that's the lay out you want value, ie "classic," matters not one jot.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Think you could probably have a different model converted cheaper. If that's the lay out you want value, ie "classic," matters not one jot.

Strange you should mention that because i was just thinkin the same,a hymer b514 or b630, both have transverse rear beds would probably convert to a rear lounge.

Just go's to show about looking at vans because it looks OK in the pictures.....
Camera never lies eh..!

We thought the same from the pictures, i should of know we were gonna have problems as they never mentioned
most things till we got there, and on the web site they have the model no completely wrong!!.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I'd walk away ... too many things that you 'know' of to sort, never mind those that haven't cropped up yet ... something a bit sus about it being a 2003 registered as 2007 - 4 years is a VERY long time for a standard A class to be sitting around somewhere, especially a RHD Hymer ... are you sure the mileage is right and it hasn't done more?

If you have the reg no you can check out the MOT history since 2011 here which should have some mileage details on:

https://mot-history.net/

Just a thought, if you are still tempted ask the dealer for the details of the previous owners (copy of log book ideally) and ring up to check it out with them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be absolutely honest, its very overpriced and the poor condition of the inside and step, I would expect the rest has been neglected too. even cleaned up and repaired with missing bits replaced its only worth about £20k. my first impression is that somebody has lived in the van full time and ruined it by neglect

I buy vans needing tidying up and sell at a profit, but I would not buy that one. Dont be swayed by the rare layout, as they always turn up eventually

my advice is save your money and walk away

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Not often I agree with you Big un.......(only jokin) but I think your dead right.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I'd walk away ... too many things that you 'know' of to sort, never mind those that haven't cropped up yet ... something a bit sus about it being a 2003 registered as 2007 - 4 years is a VERY long time for a standar
Still think the dealer is misrepresenting the van by saying 2007 reg. Clearly a ploy to :reel: the punters.
Actually he's only stating the year it was registered so nothing wrong with that, it's not unusual to have a vehicle that is a previous year's model registered in the following year, but it is very unusual for it to be such a larger number of years in between. Whenever buying any vehicle, be it a car, motorhome, motorbike etc, you should always check the manufacture date and not just go by the registration date.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Personally I'd walk away ... too many things that you 'know' of to sort, never mind those that haven't cropped up yet ... something a bit sus about it being a 2003 registered as 2007 - 4 years is a VERY long time for a standar

Actually he's only stating the year it was registered so nothing wrong with that, it's not unusual to have a vehicle that is a previous year's model registered in the following year, but it is very unusual for it to be such a larger number of years in between. Whenever buying any vehicle, be it a car, motorhome, motorbike etc, you should always check the manufacture date and not just go by the registration date.
I know but you don't know that from the ad, to the untrained eye it might look like 2007 model for a cheap price. I am not sure its clear at what point the dealer divulged it was a 2003 model!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know but you don't know that from the ad, to the untrained eye it might look like 2007 model for a cheap price. I am not sure its clear at what point the dealer divulged it was a 2003 model!!!
But he's not actually misrepresenting it which was what I was referring to, I'm not saying it's right, but it's not illegal either. There was/is someone on here advertising a very expensive MH as registered 4 years after it was built ... it was only when I spotted that the model year was very briefly mentioned that it was made clear ... they had no intention of misleading anyone as far as I know but obviously you have to do these checks yourself to be sure of exactly what you're buying ...

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I've given this some thought too.

What's your budget? As most things in life, buy the best that you can afford to now.

I had to up my budget from £15k to over £30k to get the Rapido. Whilst I had the money, I just had no idea that what I wanted (as you have found) could not be bought. Whilst initially I baulked at the thought, having found, imported and now used the MH, I couldn't be happier.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I initially thought if the MH was good you should buy it but having now reading the rest of the thread it sounds as if its been neglected. I would walk. Spend the winter looking for something else.
Im sure the funsters reading this thread will alert you if they see one.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Is the Hymer body from 2003? I've heard of Fiat chassis laying around for a year or so before getting a "body" fitted. 4 years standing, something ain't right.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Using the hymer serial number gives build date of 2003.

Checked history on mot check all ok mileage consistant over the years,also has stamped service book,strange no cambelt change though.
I've given this some thought too.

What's your budget? As most things in life, buy the best that you can afford to now.

I had to up my budget from £15k to over £30k to get the Rapido. Whilst I had the money, I just had no idea that what I wanted (as you have found) could not be bought. Whilst initially I baulked at the thought, having found, imported and now used the MH, I couldn't be happier.

Where did you get your 9010 from in the end,and can I ask how much?

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Where did you get your 9010 from in the end,and can I ask how much?

I went to Germany. It was up for 46500 euros, if I recall correctly. I didn't realise until I got there that it came with solar, satellite, air suspension, alloys, 2 tvs, winter and summer tyres and a whole host of other extras.

I'd never imported, or driven a MH that big in Europe, let alone LHD. So it was a bit daunting - but in actual fact it was all pretty easy. Even my missus now drives it as I broke my ankle and she has no problems. I'd even go as far as saying she enjoys it!

Do you have kids? We wanted the two lounge areas for the kids and it had to be under 6.5m to go on the drive. But I did see the rapidos sister model the 9048. If you don't have kids then this may work well for you. But then no rear lounge.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cam belt on that model is 8 years or 80k miles.. so while it is due, it has not been needed to be replaced as yet

As for the year.. I have lost count of the amount of bikes I have seen that are ( say ) 1997 but not registered until well in to the naughty's.

Asan example

Big dealers with a big display often have a van / car / bike that does not sell for one reason or other.. A year goes by and the model gets superseded.
The dealer is then twixt a rock and a hard place.. Does he sell at a big discount or let it sit there filling up the forecourt and making his display look bigger ?

If the dealer can afford to sit on it he may as well..

Another possible is the vehicle was ordered by a firm for a customer then the firm went pop. It ended up completed but sitting in Hymer storage for yonks

In other words there are many reasons why a vehicle is late registered.
It is not a scam, nor misleading if the vehicle was not used or owned by anyone outside the trade before the registration date
It is in fact pretty standard practice

As to the OP.. I say buy it if you can get it at the right price
Speak to CareAvan.. I would think they could do the refit for about £800 with a bit of haggling
The step is a minor issue and will almost certainly be an easy fix
Dunno what to suggest about the bathroom to be honest.. but as you say, it is a common issue on Hymers and will certainly not affect how the toilet etc works ! :)

All in all, I would go to the dealer, offer him the asking price less £3500 with a take it or leave it attitude

At that money you should be able to sort it all out and have change .. of said £3.5K

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think you would be surprised at how many times it does happen !!

A few years ago a close friend came across an unregistered Aston DB6 whilst in Poland.
Bought it for silly money, shipped it home and registered it as a new vehicle !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I dont think many dealers would have a MH standing around for 4 years, even they took a hit would they !!!!
It happens, when we brought our first Hymer our dealer have a Tramp on a Rentault that was on offer as he had, had it a couple of years, a couple of years later it was still there. He attitude was someone will buy it .

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Cam belt on that model is 8 years or 80k miles.. so while it is due, it has not been needed to be replaced as yet

As for the year.. I have lost count of the amount of bikes I have seen that are ( say ) 1997 but not registered until well in to the naughty's.

Asan example

Big dealers with a big display often have a van / car / bike that does not sell for one reason or other.. A year goes by and the model gets superseded.
The dealer is then twixt a rock and a hard place.. Does he sell at a big discount or let it sit there filling up the forecourt and making his display look bigger ?

If the dealer can afford to sit on it he may as well..

Another possible is the vehicle was ordered by a firm for a customer then the firm went pop. It ended up completed but sitting in Hymer storage for yonks

In other words there are many reasons why a vehicle is late registered.
It is not a scam, nor misleading if the vehicle was not used or owned by anyone outside the trade before the registration date
It is in fact pretty standard practice

As to the OP.. I say buy it if you can get it at the right price
Speak to CareAvan.. I would think they could do the refit for about £800 with a bit of haggling
The step is a minor issue and will almost certainly be an easy fix
Dunno what to suggest about the bathroom to be honest.. but as you say, it is a common issue on Hymers and will certainly not affect how the toilet etc works ! :)

All in all, I would go to the dealer, offer him the asking price less £3500 with a take it or leave it attitude

At that money you should be able to sort it all out and have change .. of said £3.5K

Uphosltery wise,Tappers want 1600.00,careavan will probably be about the same

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not if you speak to them and mention Fun.. Dunsters get a decent discount and CareAvan have consistently been significantly cheaper with quotes to us and the family over the past several years.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Dunsters !!!! What a wally.. I meant FUNSTERS !!!!

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I did wonder,but quite liked it:LOL::LOL:

So we have decided not to buy the hymer after all,lots of good advise here as always apart from rob1chelsea1 which is normal:LOL::LOL:.

So if anybody knows of,or has either a hymer bc595, b514, b630 for sale let me know.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back