What remote solar control panel for my solar setup? (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2017
MK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi....I would like to install a remote control panel for solar system. The setup i have on my Hymer is 2x 100watt solar panels hooked up to a schaudt Lr1218 controller which in-turn is linked up to a EBL29 & schaudt LAS 1218 BUS which charges 3x 95ahr AGM habitation batteries and the base vehicle battery, the vehicle has the LT 95F control panel which is next to useless as far as battery management is concerned.
I am aware that I can fit the schaudt LT320 display however that would only tell me the current that is being transferred to the habitation and vehicle batteries, whereas i would like to be able to see more information.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use a Victron BMV700 it doesn't separate the solar charge out but does give you loads more information about your system.

I will point out that both the EBL 29 and the LR1218 are totally unsuitable for AGM batteries neither of them has the right charing parameters.
My last van had a similar set up the AGM's lasted 18 months I replaced them with Gels.
Current van didn't bother using the AGM fitted Gels straight away.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Hi Lenny, I've just read your post above regarding the EBL 29 linked to LR1218. My new van (when it arrives) has the EBL119 linked to a LR1218 - charging (factory) setup, currently going to one 95ah AGM leisure battery. Would the same apply to this setup as you have mentioned above?
One of the reasons I ask - apart from the obvious, is that, I wish to add a further leisure battery and also, another 100w Solar panel. From what I've read on MHF so far, AGM batteries are not ideal because of past setups not giving the correct charge profile. So, I was dithering about adding another AGM anyway. I would only go with it if the charging/Solar setup I've mentioned is suitable.
Our last van (Hymer B678) had 2 x 100 Solar - charging 2 x 90ah Varta Silver batteries which never gave us any problems with free camping for quite long periods without hook up (Almerimar, by the lighthouse for 4weeks the winter before last) and would be happy to perhaps go that route again if the AGM 's won't suit my setup.

I'm not a great mechanic or techie but am practical minded. I also don't have a massive budget to throw at it as we downsized to get our new van and also got a very nice discount on the new one as I had no part exchange and paid cash 5 weeks ago.
Would greatly appreciate your advice. Oops...and any help from others, please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The EBL119 does have setting for Gel & AGM so in theory OK the LR1218 is not suitable for AGM but you may find it is an LRM1218 that is OK.
If it was me I would ask the dealer if he will swap the AGM for a Gel I just don't trust them to many reports of failure (especially on the German forums) and personal experience. Then you could just add a second Gel with confidence.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Good idea! Yes, Thanks, Lenny. I'll see if they will do that. I took a photo of it so Unfortunately, I know it is just the LR1218. It may be another option to swap that? it's a 2020 model Burstner so, cannot understand - after all the controversy about AGM charging they are not fitting the correct equipment? Trying to save £50, I suppose?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hymer are the same, well the whole Hymer group still fitting crap AGM's. The German high end manufacturers have stuck with Gels, I wonder why.
I expect the regulator will be a LRM1218.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
This is the photo I took at the dealers, Lenny.

Attachments

• 138114E8-547A-4EC3-87BE-1C8AFF5E15D8.jpeg
    138114E8-547A-4EC3-87BE-1C8AFF5E15D8.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 102

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All I can say is what pratt fitted that on a new van with an AGM, I didn't even know they still made them. They are OK with Gels but that's about all.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
I suppose it would be easier to change the battery for a Gel rather thang the controller for the LRM 1218 version?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I suppose it would be easier to change the battery for a Gel rather thang the controller for the LRM 1218 version?
I would still fit a better regulator whatever battery, the LR1218 is only a single stage charger it gets up to 14.2v and just stays there no absorption phase or float voltage.
Best to fit a Votronic or Victron MPPT regulator not cheap but the difference in output is very noticeable and much kinder to the battery.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Lenny HB:

Out of interest, I thought I would ask Udo Lang, @Shaudt what he thought about Bürstner and possibly other manufacturers fitting Solar regulators that are not designed to complement AGM battery charging. I also asked If he could suggest a solution. That is not to ignore all the excellent advice that I have received on MHFun - I just thought I would pass the ball back to Schaudt so that they are aware of the issue and to see if they can explain why this still continues. Whilst he didn't comment on why AGM's are still fitted to the wrong charging setup, he did offer a roundabout solution that may or may not, suit the way that many owners like to camp.

This was his reply today:

when you have mounted the EBL 119, please check, if the battery selection switch is set to AGM charging. If so, your battery will get all the time when you stay on the mains a AGM charging.
All the other charger like the alternator or the solar-charger will charge with a welcome additional charging and will maybe get the battery never fully charged in the time whilst the motor is running or the sun is shining.
So don´t worry about the solar-charger, I think this will not matter very much.
Just take care to have the mains connection in the summer time once in a month vor 24 hours connected and in the winter when the camper stands without any usage once in a week for 24 hour with a timer vor the 230V to charge automatically.

Best Regards
Udo.

He responded to my query within hours. I will still look for a more permanent solution myself but thought his reply might be of interest to some...Thoughts anyone?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Doesn't really say anything sort of sidesteps the issue, although he has said with the solar regulator the battery will never get a full charge. AGM's do not like not getting a full charge.
Although Udo is very quick to respond and is good with EBL problems you have to remember Schaudt supply a lot of equipment to the manufacturers and they are not going to put their foot in by admitting to a problem.

When I got my last van it had Banner AGM's which were the type that charged at 14.4v (type 2 ?) the charger was set to Gel (only Gel & Wet settings) & I had a LR1218. I contacted Udo & Banner and they both said the Gel setting and the solar were fine with the Banner batteries. Batteries lasted 18 months, both failed the same week.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Haha! Yeah... I would have been very surprised - if not shocked had he criticised the Manufacturer! I was more interested in seeing if he suggested either updating the regulator or, the batteries.
i'm tempted to keep the LR1218 and swap the battery fo gel. I also need to add another and wonder whether to get say, One 180ah Gel or two 90ah ones? I was Originally hoping to fit both batteries where the existing one is - under the drivers seat but, although there is/was space for another, there is a bracket with several blade fuses attached that protrudes back into the area where the second battery should fit? I don't know enough about auto electrics to move or mess around with them, I was thinking I might get say, a single Gel battery that I could place front to back under the seat as the total length may be shorter than two batteries sideways under the seat...if that is possible? As I haven't yet collected the new van (Waiting for V5. hopefully next week) I can't do any measurements but am trying to think ahead......

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Lenny HB.
Ive just reread you reply again and realised that you have already discounted using the LR1218 with Gels...must pay more attention!

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Doh! Done it again! Been housebound with the weather today...which is unusual for me and my brain is Fogged! I reread your reply once too often and imagined you'd said something else,. Well, that's my excuse! forget my last missive! Taking the dog for a walk!

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Another day... Sun is shining! Torrential rain here yesterday! I hate being indoors for more than a an hour or two during the day... especially glued to a computer for hours! Hopefully, clearer thinking today!

I'm thinking now, that i should change the LR1218 for the LRM1218, which will give me many more battery choices as that SC has 3 Positions And a better charge profile - And is an all round better bit of kit. A good match for the EBL119 too! Hopefully, the connections will be a straight swap? I like plug n play! 👍

I'm still wondering if I change to Gel, should I go for say, 2 X 100ah or, 1 x 200ah? The reason being...as mentioned earlier, that there is a multi fuse holder protruding into the space where the second battery goes under the drivers seat. I'm not clued up on 12v electrics so, am hesitant to try and relocate it. I suppose I could take it to a dealer but, I like to challenge myself to find a workaround if possible. It occurred to me that, if I get say, 1 x 180 - 200ah battery or even slightly smaller, it may fit in the seat space front to back without having to move the fuse array? That is if a single battery is a bit shorter than two side by side ones? If I could do both of those changes I would be sorted. I know that, some say, having just one battery means you are screwed if it fails... do I take that risk?

Obviously, had Lithium been a bit cheaper, I would have gone that route?? It would probably require much more than fitting just the battery though, I'm guessing?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm thinking now, that i should change the LR1218 for the LRM1218, which will give me many more battery choices as that SC has 3 Positions - And is an all round better bit of kit. A good match for the EBL119 too! Hopefully, the connections will be a straight swap? I like plug n play!
I would go for one of the Victron MPP range, a very good regulator in a range of sizes comparable power to the LRM1218 is cheaper.

When the batteries are under the seat they are low profile batteries so you will be limited to an 80a/h Gel although a Gel will give you more useable power than other types of battery as you can take then down to 80% DOD without damage.
It's normal to fit the 2nd battery under the other seat.

Last edited:

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
The two 2020 lyseo 680g's I have looked at have teleco solar controllers so surprised you have a schaudt. I had a votronic coupled to an ebl119 and I will go that way again with my new one. Very simple to do. Also they seem to work well with AGM batteries so I wouldn't change just for the sake of it. Also votronic can trickle charge the cab battery

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
AGM batteries are like a box of chocolates, you never know when they are going to fail next. Got rid of mine on the first day and fitted 3 Gels, never had a problem with Gels.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
My van is a Lyseo TD 680G Harmony which I believe, has a different internal layout than other versions of the 680G range. Both passenger and drivers seat spaces are crowded... the passsenger seat has the EBL119 and LR1218 under there with lots of wiring and the drivers seat has one AGM battery at the rear end of the seat space. There is an aluminium profile screwed to the floor roughly in the middle which is meant to divide and hold two batteries - one either side but strangely, protuding downwards and slightly back from the front of the seat base there is a small array of fuses that occupy some of the space where the second battery should sit.
when I was negotiating the price of the van during lockdown I asked them to fit a second battery in the price. They came back and said that, there wasn't room for it but they would make an allowance for me to get something done elsewhere.
I could probably solve the issue by fitting a Lithium battery and may do if I really love the van and want to keep it long term. We have spent many hours looking at the van at different dealers since we saw it at the NEC and it seems to fit most of the criteria we were looking for when downsizing from the Hymers we previously had. Obviously, we need to use it for a while to see if it has any quirks that we hadn't allowed for. Given that we do love it I might spend more money on things like Lithium.
We won't be going to Europe this year until maybe January for a few months which will give me time to assess everything before making final decisions on expensive things we want like Gaslow, Lithium etc. We have decided to forego a satellite dish and stream instead so, there is a saving to be made there.
When we actual get the van...anytime now, I will get more time to evaluate things but am trying to look at the options I will have in the meanwhile.
We had a Victron Solar controller in our last Hymer and that setup was faultless so, may look at those and or, Votronic. I was only thinking of the LRM1218 swap thinking it would be easier for me?
I like the 'Forest Gump' analogy, Lenny! Haha!

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Rodney, you have a PM

The TD is the parallel seating arrangement isn't it? That is what I am getting too so have exactly same thoughts as to changes/extras as you

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Click on the bell with the red number top right of any forum

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Hi 76zedfour. Thanks for that!
When does your van arrive?
Yes, it is the model with parallel seating arrangement. It is similar to a few other manufacturer's layouts but, we thought that the Burstner was better quality...although, potentially more expensive... However, I managed to negotiate a great price for the 9speed auto version during lockdown - which levelled the prices somewhat.
Apart from the battery/Solar situation, we intend to fit another 100w Panel, Gaslow, Roof antenna and possibly, a tow bar for bikes. It all depends if we can manage to get our two full size ebikes into the garage. It may be a bit tight and leave little room for the other items we tend to overload the van with! 😀 If so, we'll probably fit a tow bar because we don't fancy a heavy laden rack on the back. We've been used to quite big garages but, came to the conclusion that, if you have the room you'll find plenty of stuff to fill it with...that you will most likely never use. It will be an exercise in frugality if nothing else! What are your plans?

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
To get your messages it's the envelope symbol to the right hand side on the blue main bar at top of this page

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you do end up going for the LRM1218, contact Ross at Apuljack Engineering as they are soon to be launching a display that will connect to the Schaudt regulator. I purchased one of their beta versions and I am very happy with it. Shows status of both leisure and vehicle batteries as well as solar generation in Watts and Amps. I have attached a pic of the display. Great company to deal with and excellent support.

Attachments

• 20200225_155753.jpg
    20200225_155753.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 38
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Pebble99
That is interesting and will check them out. I thought both the LR's gave a battery readout on the main display if wired up correctly? Seem to remember my Hymer's showed battery state and solar On the DT201 panel? Perhaps I'm thinking of something else?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Pebble99
That is interesting and will check them out. I thought both the LR's gave a battery readout on the main display if wired up correctly? Seem to remember my Hymer's showed battery state and solar On the DT201 panel? Perhaps I'm thinking of something else?
Apart from the very top models Hymer haven't fitted displays with a digital readout for years. I don't think Burstner do either.
If you have a display with a readout the LR1218, LRM1218 and the Votronic MPP range can all connect the EBL to give panel readouts.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Thanks, Lenny.... Just remembered that it was a Votronic connected to the EBL on my last B678. Sold it privately a year ago exactly. That had a separate square shaped silver readout on the side of the bench seat.
26196B35-E6AA-440E-A23C-83E6313F224A.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back