What is the best sealant to use (2 Viewers)

Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Hi, Due to some sealant shrinkage I need to do some external resealing of my van. Would welcome comments on the best sealant to use. and hopefully one that does not shrink or discolour (much) over time. Have used Sikaflex 522 in the past, but it does shrink.

Thanks,

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
RV61 is a great sealant. And a lot more user friendly than many.
It is easy to adjust and clean up. I find sikaflex really excellent but very unforgiving if you need to clean or smooth in the seam.

But that maybe just me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Good sealant with UV resistance and low shrinking is CT1, I haven’t found something yet close to it, even puraflex does shrink a little.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've been using Hodgson Seamseal CV for the same jobs over the last few weeks. It was a toss up between that and Carafax Caraseal.
It's only a sealant (not an adhesive) and remains very pliable when set.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
An on topic bump, just been to the motorhome's cupboard to close the water tank's drain and the chimney has got damp with the recent heavy rain.

So, either the rain was just at the right angle to get through the chimney's simple cap or sealant needs redoing.
The previous owner used the same hole to get the solar wiring down into the cupboard.

I haven't thought about replacing any of the sealant the previous owner used, but it looks old and replaceable.
So, to seal without adhesion, have my fellow funsters above given me some good ideas on brands to get?

I thought of "SikaFlex 221 Strong Adhesive and Sealant" but that's got the "adhesive" word. I shouldn't worry about that word, right? For this type of product, they dry none-stick?
CT1 gets a couple of name checks. Who makes that?

Be nice, here's my dirty roof and on the far side is the chimney:

Image from iOS.jpg

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
NVM :)
CT1 & Sealant go together in bing & lead to answers :)
Still be interested in a other opinions on simple but good sealants for complete protection from external hole entry points ;)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
CT1 seals and glues under water, I fixed a swimming pool at the outlet shroud where previously was leaking. Fixed the leak a month ago without draining and still holds well. I glued countless slates and tiles in the rain with no fail so far. I glued solar limpets on metal roof and slates, no fail. Last fix was my maxfan with CT1, few weeks ago. Meant to re do the job but had no time. It rained ever since and downpours trough out the nights.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
CT1 seals and glues under water, I fixed a swimming pool at the outlet shroud where previously was leaking. Fixed the leak a month ago without draining and still holds well. I glued countless slates and tiles in the rain with no fail so far. I glued solar limpets on metal roof and slates, no fail. Last fix was my maxfan with CT1, few weeks ago. Meant to re do the job but had no time. It rained ever since and downpours trough out the nights.
Yes, CT1 is awesome stuff. Off the shelf now from Howdens and most plumbers merchants. Ok it's around £10 a tube but worth every penny. Available in white, grey and black (and possibly more). I always buy the cleaner/solvent as well as it makes smoothing over and cleaning up a doodle 👍. It's also much better than silicone for anything in a bathroom.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You can get it at toolstation and Celco as well, and many roofing stores.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You can get it at toolstation and Celco as well.
Ah, didn't know the sold it in Toolstation. I go there quite a lot, it's generally cheaper than Screwfix 🙂.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
An on topic bump, just been to the motorhome's cupboard to close the water tank's drain and the chimney has got damp with the recent heavy rain.

So, either the rain was just at the right angle to get through the chimney's simple cap or sealant needs redoing.
The previous owner used the same hole to get the solar wiring down into the cupboard.

I haven't thought about replacing any of the sealant the previous owner used, but it looks old and replaceable.
So, to seal without adhesion, have my fellow funsters above given me some good ideas on brands to get?

I thought of "SikaFlex 221 Strong Adhesive and Sealant" but that's got the "adhesive" word. I shouldn't worry about that word, right? For this type of product, they dry none-stick?

Be nice, here's my dirty roof and on the far side is the chimney:

View attachment 514021
I bought CT1 from Wickes.
Cleaned up the roof and original sealant (i.e. cleaned not removed - except for any not attached).
Applied the CT1 around the base and wiring.

Overnight medium/heavy rain has not got in :)
Thanks all ;)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You should really remove any old sealant, it may not be compatible with any new sealant. One thing to remember about CT1 is that it's a sealant/adhesive, once you use it, it'll be extremely difficult to remove.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You should really remove any old sealant, it may not be compatible with any new sealant. One thing to remember about CT1 is that it's a sealant/adhesive, once you use it, it'll be extremely difficult to remove.
Yes that’s why for fitting roof lights etc I have always used non setting like Hodgsons seam seal CV.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Yes that’s why for fitting roof lights etc I have always used non setting like Hodgsons seam seal CV.
Yep, I have both, which one to use depends on whether I think I will ever have to remove the item. To be fair though, my chimney cap is now fitted with CT1 after leaking twice with the seamseal. It doesn't leak any more 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back