What do you use in your toilet? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As so many new members are joining daily, I thought it may be time to mention again, alternative materials to use in your toilet. I used to use the blue stuff but hated the smell and its not eco friendly. Then came the green eco fluid and others designed to be eco friendly and smell ok.
For the last few years we now only use the little green biological jelly packs made for washing machines. It smells good, does a perfect job and is much cheaper than toilet fluids. One warning though, the cassette must have no traces of chemical fluids left or they will kill the little jelly packs and will not work.
Another alternative is SOG but just the name puts me off.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
History tells us there were Three Wise Men but there were actually four and the gift from the last was a packet of biological washing tablets.

I'm glad you are maintaining this valuable tradition. :)

(Gift wrapping optional)

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
Tried all sorts from Bio Tabs to Toilet Blocks - all of which work ok.

You just don't get the lovely blue colour when you empty, but if you can cope with that it fine.

Also have SOG fan fitted as standard.(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Shit is shit, whatever you stick in it .... it’s still shit.... and you won’t come up smelling of roses...

Usually it’s your own or beloveds so go, and go empty it.....:D2

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Used blue, green fine, .Tried laundry liquid and tabs, but do not like the sweetish smell. Have settled on the Elsan green it is much thicker than the others so you do not need as much. The green is also useable everywhere unlike the blue.

Always wondered what people do if they use blue and they stay somewhere that does not allow blue, bit too late at that point to change without emptying a cassette that has blue in it o_O

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE we changed from Eco Fluids to liquid laundry detergent (NON Bio ) when we ran out and asked the site owner for advice as they had a Fosse Septique (We were in France)
We were advised to use the Liquid Detergent (pods had yet to appear) but NOT to use Bio as it had enzymes that would attack the biological part of the Fosse Septiques biosphere

We changed and after a short while noticed that the cassette on emptying had lots of black bits coming out on examination found that it was coming from the surface and we could now see grey again

When pods cam out we changed to them as it made it so much easier to set up the cassette just remember to put some water in to allow the PVA, that they make the pods from, to dissolve

PLUS the pods are so much cheaper at Aldi and Lidl

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
We used Tesco's cheapest biological washing capsules and these did a reasonable job. Recently had a SOG unit fitted but yet to try it out but we have high hopes it will cut the muster, well at least cut the smells!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have a mild perfume aversion, so I use Elsan Organic which doesn't doesn't smell of anything

As posted above, you can use it anywhere

I empty it every 4-5 days, works well & easy to use

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for Bio capsules. No problem with septic tanks as we never go on campsites.

We also have 2 x cassettes. Thinking of getting a third, but only to keep up with our friends:LOL:

Geoff

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Another vote for Bio capsules. No problem with septic tanks as we never go on campsites.

We also have 2 x cassettes. Thinking of getting a third, but only to keep up with our friends:LOL:

Geoff

Crickey that's some serious competition when you are keeping up with the Jones' bowel movements! :xrofl:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No, as soon as the toilet blade is opened, the SOG fan should start. It is a quick-starting fan and there should be no updraft from the toilet opening. To test it, light a match, or even better a joss stick, before opening. Let it smoke then hold it in the bowl before opening the blade valve. You should see the smoke disappear smartly down the hole.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
No, as soon as the toilet blade is opened, the SOG fan should start. It is a quick-starting fan and there should be no updraft from the toilet opening. To test it, light a match, or even better a joss stick, before opening. Let it smoke then hold it in the bowl before opening the blade valve. You should see the smoke disappear smartly down the hole.
That seems so wrong on so many levels:xrofl:

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
We have a Carthago and it came fitted as standard, I'll try the match / joss stick idea - thanks for the advice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
there should be no updraft from the toilet opening. To test it, light a match,

giphy.gif

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Sogs, capsules, liquid, cassettes etc. :xrofl:

No, just a sealed 35g black tank. :gum:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
SOG units can be very smelly outside van if not maintained not sure on all their claims ie they degrade waste faster without adding anything but if you rinse them out each time you wash all the active bacteria away - thereby leaving your toilet looking dirtier than a public toilet if you try to keep some active bacteria - also it will still smell as much at emptying time.

I'll stay with tabs and empty daily if possible

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I use Aqua-kem Blue

love it, you can empty without heaving up..:)

tried all the rest of the home-brew ideas.. none work as good as the Blu

also have a SOG , fitted to help suck the smell out before it hits the kitchen.. :xsurprised:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back