What do i need for a sat system (1 Viewer)

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Hi all. I`m not new to Mhming, I could do a loft conversion, strip a motorbike down and rebuild it, landscape your garden and a few other things, but i have not got a scooby about TV and satelite systems.
The MH has an external/internal sat point. The new LG TV has a sat point on the back. What do i need to get going. I had a new vision plus arial fitted so we are ok for tv.
I keep reading articles but the more i read the more bamboozled I get.
I believe I need a min 60cm dish as we are in Scotland and it is mostly Scottish highlands we tour. Area 2 System? Does that ring a bell?
Just looking for some laymans terms and explanations if you can help for 230v only , not bothered about 12v off grid stuff as yet.
Thanks. G

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you have a decent aerial fitted and gets you tv then why bother with a dish.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your TV has an inbuilt sat receiver, look in your handbook, all you need is a dish... If it doesn't you need a sat receiver as well. .
Either a free standing dish and tripod (can get stolen and needs storage space) or a roof mounted system.
They come in two flavours, either automatic or manual..
Auto are just the push of a button and just wait a few seconds until it finds the satelitte, the manual is just that, you do the work.
Size for dish varies but a 60cm will be OK for all the UK and Northern Europe for UK channels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a sat dish but I wouldn’t bother if buying another van as lots of folk will tell you they stream most stuff now especially if you have unlimited data on your phone.?

OP
OP
Euro330

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Streaming? LOL . I will take above on board, absorb it and take it from there. Cheers. G

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Most new LG tvs have an IPTV app. Pay the 5 quid to access that, then subscribe to one of the IPTV subscription services, can be 40 pound a year. Get a Mifi to stream these and then look on here for advice for an internet sim card deal and away you go. No additional weight with sat dish that might not work south of Loire. Both methods are costly but I much prefer the streaming method. Now wait for the responses and debate that will definitely help you make up your mind.

OP
OP
Euro330

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Think I will need to ask my young lads about some of that! Cheers. G

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have a sat dish but I wouldn’t bother if buying another van as lots of folk will tell you they stream most stuff now especially if you have unlimited data on your phone.?
Yes data is cheap now (unlimited data for some contracts) but if you want HD quality might be best go with a sat dish, 80cm. Also more accessible than mobile data signal if you are in poor reception areas.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Been traipsing around Northern \ Western Scotland for 3-4 weeks (up as far as Orkney) and was without mobile and mifi (3) reception for about half the time.

We've got a Snipe 2 satellite system fitted (ex another Funster) and never been without reception. Terrestrial TV reception was a bit hit and miss with variable channel availability.
Funnily enough Euro330 Carnoustie was going to be our next stop but having to head home for a dental appointment.:RollEyes::crying:

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Most new LG tvs have an IPTV app. Pay the 5 quid to access that, then subscribe to one of the IPTV subscription services, can be 40 pound a year. Get a Mifi to stream these and then look on here for advice for an internet sim card deal and away you go. No additional weight with sat dish that might not work south of Loire. Both methods are costly but I much prefer the streaming method. Now wait for the responses and debate that will definitely help you make up your mind.
B7E40E16-B158-40B3-8E20-F13A947AB8CF.jpeg

I had no problem receiving BBC and ITV plus most of the mainstream channels right down to here in France on a recent trip using an 85cm automatic dish with Autoskew

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Snipe3

Camping First Satmex

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It's a difficult one. If you are only planning on touring the Highlands then I know mobile reception can be poor.

I believe that sat dishes are on the way out and streaming using mobile data is the way to go but you need a mobile signal!

We use an Amazon firestick and our mobile phones to create a hotspot which the firestick then used to stream the media content. It has allowed me to watch the Rugby World cup whilst away in Europe. We are not big TV people when away but it is nice to have the option.

There are many options and as they say 'one shoe doesn't fit all'!

Good luck with your search.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
you could always record movies, programme series and watch them on your travels, bulk buys of dvd's seem to always be available at car boots, auction/selling sites.

for me its roof mounted auto sat dish with roof mounted max view aerial along with motorhome wifi system with firestick/set top box. data cost is an issue for streaming but even that is coming down.

everyone will have their own particular requirements and needs, you just need to identify what yours are, concentrate on what you actually want to do FIRST rather then how to get it, when you know what you want, then look at how to achieve it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We use streaming and freeview,
Struggled with that over the last few weeks up north and given the OP is looking for a viable solution for there it might be a problem.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Get a cheap dish kit from amazon comes with the mounting hard ware cable and LNB.
I’ve got a small 300mm long aluminium pipe with a couple of angle brackets bolted to the bottom.
The dish bracket clamps to this, I either put the awning leg through it or bolt it to the solar panel mounting frame.
I use an app called Dish align on iPhone to point the dish at the Astra satellite.
Really easy.
Sometimes we can’t get a tv signal via the aerial, or in Europe the signal is sometimes scrambled so the sat dish is the way to go for freesat
I’ve also made an adapter so I can use the cable to connect to the site tv system if they have one.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
The OP will definitely need a Zone 2 dish for Scotland, and they are twice the size of Zone 1 at 800x600mm, so storing it then becomes an issue, especially as the LNB and arm will be attached to it. Having said that, we use one and a Manhattan SX satellite receiver with our Manta tv, and it works well - and I can second the use of Dish Align too!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
With regard to the dish and arm with the LNB.
I’ve drilled out the holes that the dish attaches to the bracket and use dome head bolts with nuts, and also cut out the part of the dish below the hole where the arm fits through. The dish part then comes away.
This enables the arm to be folded up for storage I take the LNB off as well.
It doesn’t take long to reassemble and setup once we’re settled, about the time it takes to drink a large cup of tea.

AdrianP

Free Member
Apr 30, 2019
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 1700BH
Exp
We have one of these setups with our travel trailer,

Only used it a couple of times so far but really easy to get up and running and when not in use, it collapses down nice and small for storage

I'll be looking into some way of mounting it to the rear ladder next but don't want to either mark the ladder or the pole the dish mounts to so finding something that doesn't have teeth is not easy... lol

Reactions: Jim

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We have the oyster Cytrac sat dish fitted and it works a treat up here. As long as I can see the southern sky we have never had an issue with reception plus it’s been up and working in pretty strong wind whilst everyone else dropped theirs, Dunnet bay 60mph gusts. Streaming is an add on to the sat dish and digital aerial we carry but as you know coverage up here isn’t the best once you get off the main route/populated areas. You can get a portable system for a few pounds up to a few thousand for a roof mounted system, just depends on how deep your pockets are and where you will be doing most of your travelling which will dictate the size o& dish needed.HTH.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
In Scotland?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'll be looking into some way of mounting it to the rear ladder next but don't want to either mark the ladder or the pole the dish mounts to so finding something that doesn't have teeth is not easy... lol
When I was looking at doing something similar (eventually fitted a Snipe 2 on the roof) I came across rubber lined double bend u-bolts that I thought may work. One "loop" around the pole and the other around the ladder tread. As I said never tried them but may be an option to look at. They were a bit like this. Don't ask where I saw them, though!:unsure:
If you can't find something the right size I would guess a blacksmith could knock up something for you for not a lot. You could then fit "rubber" tubing over it.
1575360911178.png

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Does anyone know what models of sat receivers still available (I believe Icecrypt are no longer made) which are (1) 12v and (2) can receive the 'Satback' transmissions on Intelsat 907?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Does anyone know what models of sat receivers still available (I believe Icecrypt are no longer made) which are (1) 12v and (2) can receive the 'Satback' transmissions on Intelsat 907?
You could try a Humax recorder, they can record two channels and have a very good EPG.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Struggled with that over the last few weeks up north and given the OP is looking for a viable solution for there it might be a problem.
I used my snipe 2 all over Scotland and got reception everywhere. Also use in France as far south as Bergerac, then it gets a tad iffy but it suits me as its a small inexpensive auto sat dish..

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I used my snipe 2 all over Scotland and got reception everywhere. Also use in France as far south as Bergerac, then it gets a tad iffy but it suits me as its a small inexpensive auto sat dish..
Exactly the same with our Snipe 2. No issues apart from a longer seek time in Torridon but it latched on after a minute or two.
Streaming and mobile was a no no over a wide area even with an internal add on aerial.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
the Comag 45 HD 12v / 240v can receive Intelsat 907 although you do need to upload the necessary firmware

AdrianP

Free Member
Apr 30, 2019
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 1700BH
Exp
When I was looking at doing something similar (eventually fitted a Snipe 2 on the roof) I came across rubber lined double bend u-bolts that I thought may work. One "loop" around the pole and the other around the ladder tread. As I said never tried them but may be an option to look at. They were a bit like this. Don't ask where I saw them, though!:unsure:
If you can't find something the right size I would guess a blacksmith could knock up something for you for not a lot. You could then fit "rubber" tubing over it.
View attachment 349881

Thanks for that,

I did come accros this page

So a quick look on Amazon has a few brackets, nuts & bolts on the way to see what I can mock up ready for next season

I did also find a system that is similar to the ones used for mounting a flag pole to a rear ladder but typically that's on my work PC and I can't find it at the moment... lol

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
I know this is an old post however, if you want to be able to watch TV everywhere in the uk you will need satellite.
We toured the Scottish Highlands last November and as we always "wild" overnight we found on quite a few nights we had no phone signal or tv signal.
We are both on O2 phones.
So if you want to be sure of tv, satellite is far from dead and I myself have just bought a fully working snipe 3.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back