What did you start to do when you retired?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I wasn`t bored by any means but I started sewing a couple of years ago (at 63), I wanted to do some sun blinds for our glass roofed terrace, absolutely love it, I do cushion covers, table cloths, curtains, the inevitable trouser shortening etc, my wife now looks at clothes when she buys them and thinks, that would be good if it was shorter, slimmer, etc
Bought a new machine and it paid for itself in a few months just with zips and hems etc, not that that was important but it feels good.

One day I am doing an oil change or something on one of the cars and the next day I am sewing hems or replacing a zip, I have no time to get old ........

kevenh

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Other than cycling and walking more often, since last year’ layoff: -
  • On a rota at approx. once per month I record speakers reading our local newspaper. Then create a USB master recording that I’ll make about 60 copies of that i’ll later post to visually impaired “readers”.
  • I’m a volunteer tech buddy for our county’s visually impaired charity. That’s quite new but the role entails helping the VI get started with gadgets or troubleshoot their issues. Work is ad-hoc.
  • I’m a volunteer at the Greenham Control Tower. It’s also ad-hoc with a shift rota to opt into as needed.
  • later this year I’ll be a Greenham Common Guided walk volunteer host. These are once a month through summer. My first one is on May. As the newbie 🤔

Edit: context and to say I didn’t do the posh list formatting 🤪

OP
OP
Roby2008
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Other than cycling and walking more often, since last year’ layoff: -
  • On a rota at approx. once per month I record speakers reading our local newspaper. Then create a USB master recording that I’ll make about 60 copies of that i’ll later post to visually impaired “readers”.
  • I’m a volunteer tech buddy for our county’s visually impaired charity. That’s quite new but the role entails helping the VI get started with gadgets or troubleshoot their issues. Work is ad-hoc.
  • I’m a volunteer at the Greenham Control Tower. It’s also ad-hoc with a shift rota to opt into as needed.
  • later this year I’ll be a Greenham Common Guided walk volunteer host. These are once a month through summer. My first one is on May. As the newbie 🤔

Edit: context and to say I didn’t do the posh list formatting 🤪
That´s cool......................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
On retirement I moved from a small farm to a four-bedroomed house close to town.
I started growing fruit and vegetables, many of which I give away to friends and the local Food Bank.
I joined U3A (University of the Third Age) because I liked the idea of continuing to learn while having some social interaction at the same time. This was one of the best things I ever did. I ended-up leading a regular walking group, a gardening group and an antique appreciation group, not to mention making lots of new friends.
I use my motorhome a lot more and for longer periods.
I take pleasure from cooking and baking. Previously, it was just a chore, now I like to experiment and fill my freezer with food I have grown myself.
I have more dinner parties and entertain friends a lot more. In general, I am a lot more sociable than I was when I was working.
I always thought that retirement meant I would have more time to read, and I was looking forward to that, but in reality I have bookshelves full of books that I don’t have time to read.
I cannot understand why jigsaws are so popular with retirees! IMO they are a mindless way of wasting precious time.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
I like fixing stuff, so I volunteer in four Repair Cafés. Probably destroy the planet driving to these places more than I save it, but there is much pleasure to be derived in saving items that clearly mean a lot to their owners. One old and frail lady burst into tears when I repaired her statuette of Winston Churchill. Turns out it was the only thing that was brought out of a house that was bombed in the war, and (as a baby) she lost everything, including her family.

Neckender

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I returned to motorcycling again at the age of 71 and still enjoying it 2 years on.

20211220_113404.jpg
20211220_113317.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Pottered around for a few years then got fed up so built some houses in my garden, pottered around for another few years then did another build project and moved into it.
Got fed up so I now work for mates when I feel like it, will probably do about 4-5 months work and 4 months away in the van until I get fed up again and change the plan😁

Been 6 years since I had to retire and it’s gone quickly, don’t think I could stop work anytime soon as I would get to bored and as we still have family commitments cannot go away for months at a time in the van☹️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
'Escaped' from BT after almost thirty nine years at the age of a bit short of fifty six and did exactly the same job next day but only part time, filled the remainder of the time with motor-homeing and building my own 'self build'.
Did just the same for a further eighteen years and four more 'self builds', now at the age of seventy ?? and fully retired I'm waiting for a new MAN TGE to be converted to my specification to (hopefully) continue the motor-homeing.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I cannot understand why jigsaws are so popular with retirees! IMO they are a mindless way of wasting precious time.
Couldn't agree more, besides you can already see the finished picture on the box. 🤷‍♂️

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
From day one of retirement I realised that for the first time in 30 years no other living soul had any influence on my time , I come and go as I please , I can hurry or take my time , I can say no to any request that has a time factor .
I’m free as a bird and everyday I soar .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Retired at 57 and became a trustee of two charities which probably takes up around a day a week on average, took up playing golf (very badly), Have an Honorary position at a University where I do some mentoring, help look after grandkid one day a week and continue to race my Dart 18 catamaran, so not much really🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back