Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
For all the people who never attended the birth of their children, for all the people who never attended the funeral of their loved ones, for the old folks scared and confused in homes than cannot see their families and do not understand why, for the doctors, nurses and care workers tired exhausted after weeks and months of physical and mental exhaustion, for these and many more who have since the arrival of covid selflessly forgone their pleasures and past times, not because they believe it will make a huge difference, but because ANY difference, even a small one, to some-one just might make a big difference.

question . Is your trip/holiday little jaunt really that important that you cast aside the part they have played for us all ?

p.s.

please feel free to use this as a platform for your comments, but, please try and debate/argue the subject and not the persons who may post.

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
We are not taking any chances, personally. Silly to throw away all our hard work. Hopefully mum, 91, will get vaccine very soon. After we’ve had it too we’ll get together for Christmas properly, even if it’s few months away. Will see her with SD but that’s all.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Your statement and subsequent question presupposes that such a trip, (little jaunt) or holiday would denigrate any of your aforementioned sacrifices made by others (and some of us too).

I personally find it both pretentious and self aggrandising!

But... of course I support your right to hold that opinion, just a shame you choose to communicate it in such a closed way.

That is all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Whilst we have been sticking to all the advice/rules regarding lockdown etc, I'm getting mightley p*ssed off with all the online covid police trying to force their opinons on others.

I find them just as irritating (but not as dangerous) as the anti-vaxxer/flat earth types.

If others want to ignore the advice/rules, as far as I'm concerned that's up to them and their families/friends, as long as they keep away form me, I have no problems.

Oh, and I have attended both the birth of my children, and the death/funeral of loved ones.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Motorhomes are used in many different ways. One way is to get away from home in the city, out to the countryside, away from everyone, and then walk/cycle round in a beautiful and interesting place, away from other people as far as possible. Another way is to move from near the local pub to a different pub, and spend the evenings in there.

I can't see much risk in using the motorhome to go birdwatching, fishing or surfing. Probably less than staying home and taking in grocery deliveries. Or maybe you think we should all stand in a six-month silence in honour of those working on the front line.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Whilst we have been sticking to all the advice/rules regarding lockdown etc, I'm getting mightley p*ssed off with all the online covid police trying to force their opinons on others.

I find them just as irritating (but not as dangerous) as the anti-vaxxer/flat earth types.

If others want to ignore the advice/rules, as far as I'm concerned that's up to them and their families/friends, as long as they keep away form me, I have no problems.

Oh, and I have attended both the birth of my children, and the death/funeral of loved ones.
no-one is trying to force their opinion simply putting forward my views, not yours, ok. you do not have to read the post if you do not want.

I am not p*ssed off because you hold different views, so why are you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Motorhomes are used in many different ways. One way is to get away from home in the city, out to the countryside, away from everyone, and then walk/cycle round in a beautiful and interesting place, away from other people as far as possible. Another way is to move from near the local pub to a different pub, and spend the evenings in there.

I can't see much risk in using the motorhome to go birdwatching, fishing or surfing. Probably less than staying home and taking in grocery deliveries. Or maybe you think we should all stand in a six-month silence in honour of those working on the front line.
I agree with most of your comment, but, we have in each country governments making rules that we should follow, Ido not agree with them but am I not obliged to comply?

For example, here in France, we can now leave the home for 3 hours within a 20km range but not longer nor further.

I cannot understand your comment " maybe you think we should all stand in a six-month silence in honour of those working on the front line." as that seems simply exageratted for no reason or logic

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I can see when all this is over , some Motorhomers over a pint ,will say how they managed to do trips thru the restrictions , and hold it as a badge of honour !!! Please follow restrictions .

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
For all the people who never attended the birth of their children, for all the people who never attended the funeral of their loved ones, for the old folks scared and confused in homes than cannot see their families and do not understand why, for the doctors, nurses and care workers tired exhausted after weeks and months of physical and mental exhaustion, for these and many more who have since the arrival of covid selflessly forgone their pleasures and past times, not because they believe it will make a huge difference, but because ANY difference, even a small one, to some-one just might make a big difference.

question . Is your trip/holiday little jaunt really that important that you cast aside the part they have played for us all ?
I'm sure you thought and chose your words carefully here, but you must forgive me if I say the tone comes across as superior and a little condescending to those who would choose a different path to you.

I feel that you just want to open a sensible debate, I'm not sure your OP will achieve that.

BTW, both my daughter and her partner are hard pressed doctors in the NHS, and their opinion, for all the sacrifices they are making, is assess the risk, take precautions to keep ourselves and others safe, and if we want to travel (go for a little 'jaunt') then crack on as long as the activity is permitted in law.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If there is a so called Covid Police, you can put my name down to join please......if motorhomers currently travelling in Spain stick within the rules then I don't have a problem , but I have made it clear on other posts that's not the case.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I'm sure you thought and chose your words carefully here, but you must forgive me if I say the tone comes across as superior and a little condescending to those who would choose a different path to you.

I feel that you just want to open a sensible debate, I'm not sure your OP will achieve that.

BTW, both my daughter and her partner are hard pressed doctors in the NHS, and their opinion, for all the sacrifices they are making, is assess the risk, take precautions to keep ourselves and others safe, and if we want to travel (go for a little 'jaunt') then crack on as long as the activity is permitted in law.
I think the difference between their approach (do it within the law) and some (do it regardless because I want to do it and I think it doesn't directly affect anyone else) is miles apart in reality in terms of cause and effect. With an invisible virus it is naive in the extreme to suggest that someone is actually aware of whether or not it has affected others.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp

I am not the most literate person that is sure. I agree fully with you including the last 9 words.

I did not mean to sound superior, I do not believe I am, I cannot say I always follow the law 100%.

But, I have, as have many, put my social, leisure life on hold for what I hope will be for the better good of all, and me and those I hold dear.

and, it is creating some discussion, that has to be good

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I think the difference between their approach (do it within the law) and some (do it regardless because I want to do it and I think it doesn't directly affect anyone else) is miles apart in reality in terms of cause and effect.
Yes, one is legal - the other is not!

I think the difference between their approach (do it within the law) and some (do it regardless because I want to do it and I think it doesn't directly affect anyone else) is miles apart in reality in terms of cause and effect. With an invisible virus it is naive in the extreme to suggest that someone is actually aware of whether or not it has affected others.
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that either I, or the highly trained doctors, or the people who knowingly break the rules are naïve here. IMV I accept that those who have made the rules / restrictions know what they're doing better than I.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
please feel free to use this as a platform for your comments, but, please try and debate/argue the subject and not the persons who may post.
Err...

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
ok, so I am taking the mickey a little, but it would be nice if the debate was the subject and not the poster.

example "dick you are an idiot for having that view" not nice
"dick I do not agree with your point of view because .... reasons " productive, and nice

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When it comes to covid risk, I'll make up my own mind, thank you very much. The government has a proven track record of failure in this (delaying starting lockdown, eat out to help out, politically motivated tier allocation etc). They haven't learnt lessons, and are giving covid a 5-day break over Christmas. I'll take no lessons in risk mitigation from them.

I cannot understand your comment " maybe you think we should all stand in a six-month silence in honour of those working on the front line." as that seems simply exageratted for no reason or logic
What I meant was, we should recognise and honour the sacrifice that front line workers are making. My daughter is one of them. But they are doing this so everyone else can get on with their lives, doing whatever is possible without undue risk. It helps no-one to curtail low-risk activities for no good reason.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Interesting initial post, some great replies, makes a big change from....Food grade hose for filling up, Satellite signal lost near Spanish border...B to B how to wire....To wave or not to wave....and much more......very topical conversation piece.....more on this please, the Chase is starting shortly, that's if I can get a signal down here in Spain, sure I can....I've got a IPXCTNQ Mk 2 receiver and unlimited data plan suggested on the post Which Data for Spain .....only kidding.....been in the sun today..

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
no-one is trying to force their opinion simply putting forward my views, not yours, ok. you do not have to read the post if you do not want.

I am not p*ssed off because you hold different views, so why are you?
If we don’t read the post how are we supposed to form an opinion/reply?

I am not criticising your original post as I understand the point you were trying to make but your “follow up” doesn’t help your argument.

Personally, as 70+ year olds we are taking all the recommended precautions but trying to live a reasonably normal life.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Personally I think the OP's post is deliberately written to cause division & argument and as such is despicable :mad:.

The various arguments have been repeatedly debated on other threads.
Agree completely. We all have our views of what to do and if within the law should be allowed to do just that.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I just ignored another thread because I suspect that I was getting near to saying that I thought someone was being selfish in stretching the rules. I think part of the question has to be is it ok morally to consistently ignore advice aimed at reducing the spread of covid in order to have a jolly when the gain is just a jolly and the cost of increased covid is seen in the figures every day.
Opinions will vary and do on all the other threads that are covid related and do in discussions outside the forum.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Well by confining ourselves to barracks since March basically - we both tested positive for CV19 at the weekend so how the hell anyone avoids it is a complete mystery!
So sorry........did you have any symptoms.......? :(

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well by confining ourselves to barracks since March basically - we both tested positive for CV19 at the weekend so how the hell anyone avoids it is a complete mystery!
I suppose at least you won't blame yourselves hope you get better soon. I think there's a huge chunk of chance and luck .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back