what a good forum! (1 Viewer)

D

dolani

Deleted User
Hi there!

I'm driving a big motorhome: a Ford Gulfstream 7.5 ton, 30 feet long left hand drive.
The sides slide out. It's a joy to drive, but it's all new to me.

I have a motorhome insurance with Safeguard. Also I'm a member of the AA. When I had a flat tyre last year the AA couldn't help me and had to call a private business, which I had to pay for. They said they couldn't lift heavy vehicles.
I then became a member of Green Flag, through the Caravan Club.
Two weeks ago the motorhome didn't start due to a fuel leakage after standing still in front of our house all winter. It had to be towed to the garage. This took the garage four attempts, with bigger and bigger towing cars. The main problem was that the back that's sticking out so far, would touch the ground when lifting up the front. Eventually they managed.

Now, this made me wonder: What if anthing happens on the road?
My Safeguard insurance has breakdown coverage, I've just discovered; will they be equipped to tow the motorhome away if necessary?
Is Green Flag equiped to do so?
Which one should I call first? Which one would give the best help for large motorhomes?

I would appreciate your experienced advise!

Brian

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Welcome to "the" forum
Most on here seem to be on the "arrivals scheme" with Camping and caravan club, they cover any size outfit.
Others will suggest different ones,
Nigel and Pamala

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi dolani:welcome:

Don't know myself but wait awhile someone who is able will soon pick you up.

We where all new to motorhoming once this is a great forum to find the answers.

See they beat me.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
hi, the bit im pasting below is from the previous owner of my 30 foot rv, who got a problem on the m5 . they recovered it by low loader.:thumb:

Once again, rejoined the Caravan Club :£37 quid
Took out their 'Mayday' breakdown cover : £89 quid.

That covers the RV (with NO size restrictions), and gets you UK recovery (including double trip holiday cover, in case you break down on the way to your hols..they take you there and bring you back), also covers me and helen in ANY other vehicle. The cover is with Green Flag, but there is a length restriction if you join by any other means than through the caravan club.

I have to say I had the misfortune of needing this service a couple of years ago after blow out on the old RV on the M5 en route to a chillout weekend at Tewkesbury. I had visions of some plick turning up in a transit van with a trailer....but no. They said they would be there in 40 mins. It actually took them 1hr15, but they turned up (on good friday, incidentally) with a pucker gooseneck trailer and tractor unit, picked us up with no hassle whatsoever, took us to tewkesbury, and then came back on bank holiday monday to take us home again. I absolutely couldnt fault them.

hope this helps.
regards
davey

OP
OP
D

dolani

Deleted User
thanks!

Thanks guys! This is very good. Thanks for your warm welcome.

Daveyboy, I feel reassured now that I'm OK with my Caravan Club membership and their 'Mayday' breakdown cover (£89 quid). Still my Safeguard Motorhome Insurance policy promises me the same (through the AA I think). So I'm now double insured for breakdown. Would you advise not to call Safeguard when a breakdown should occur, but call the Green Flag Mayday Breakdown? Does anybody have any experience with the Safeguard Breakdown cover?

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back