Whale 8L Water Heater Tank Leak (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Marquis Majestic 105
Hi all. Has anyone encountered leaking from the tank on a Whale 8L water heater?

Van has been in storage for a while and noticed on first use the occasional pump run when nothing opened so suspected losing water somewhere. On second time out noticed water appearing around the tank itself inside the Moho. Investigating that discovered a leak from the heater element gasket, so removed the tank, removed the element cleaned it all up and resealed it. Filled tank up with water and let it sit for 30 minutes, no leaks apparent. Re-installed and connected dup in MOHO, opened tap up (I've fitted a shut off in the cold fill pipe line) tank starts to fill no problem, no leaks.

Turn on pump to fill and bleed system, and water is now running out from the bottom of the tank. Turn off pump and dump the pressure in the system, leak stops. Turn on pump and re-pressurise, water flowing again. At first I thought maybe the seal between the tank halve was leaking under pressure, but no, around the seal is dry as a bone. It does appear t be coming through the tank walls it self in two places, as if the tank has corroded internally or the alloy become porous.

I was sure I saw something on a You Tube video about this, but can't locate it now (of course).

Has anyone encountered similar?

Bluesbassman

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Funster Richard n Ann had a leak from corrosion on his Whale boiler a couple of years back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back