Weight of empty 6kg Calor Propane cylinder? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Nah, that's the way Calor show the weight when full .......20lbs 35gms.
No.... it says “next test date!” The weight says “Tare Weight” but It doesn’t give units.
14D2B509-F846-4794-A88C-B7B72A415CFD.jpeg

Last edited:

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
If your objective is to ascertain how much gas is in the cylinder, try pouring a kettle of hot water over it. The condensation that forms on the cylinder will show where the liquid lpg stops and the gas begins.

The picture below is from the internet.

ice-on-cylinder-2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve just been to change an empty 6kg Propane cylinder for a new one.

Got home and weighed it.......but of a slow day here at Podney Towers!

It weighs 14kg. Tare weight says 8.35kg. Difference is therefore 5.65kg. So does this mean Ive been done for .35kg???? If so,it’s hardly the end if the world,just a bit annoying.

Or am I missing something.......like sufficient little grey cells:unsure::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

It weighs 14kg. Tare weight says 8.35kg. Difference is therefore 5.65kg. So does this mean Ive been done for .35kg???? If so,it’s hardly the end if the world,just a bit annoying.

Or am I missing something.......like sufficient little grey cells:unsure::ROFLMAO:
I don't think that's uncommon. When I had exchangeable Calor cylinders the weights never added up satisfactorily or logically.
One of my biker pals has a well used PVC and his last four exchange 6kg cylinders were all under weight vis-à-vis the cylinder collar Tare weight. He mentioned being in communication with Calor and Trading Standards last time we spoke.
I'll check the outcome with him.

Later.
Have checked. In short..........
My pal took the matter up with the CAMC who were not at all interested.
He took an underweight cylinder back to his local retail dealer together with a calibrated spring balance and the dealer said that it was nothing to do with him as that was how they received them from the distribution centre. He took it to the distribution centre in Shoreham who said it was nothing to do with them as that was how they received them from the filling depot. He contacted the main filling depot (in Essex?) who told him it was impossible as theirs was the most modern computerised equipment in Europe. He then contacted Weights and Measures who made a spot check and found that cylinders were up to 10% underweight. My pal seems to remember that they also commented that showing the Tare weight in lbs and ozs was illegal when they were selling the gas in kilos. Calor admitted the errors and said they would make a donation to charity.
I've not checked mine as I now have a Gaslow system but it would seem from your experience that there are still issues.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

Other than 1/3 of a kilo of gas...you are missing nothing

Last time I exchanged a calor, I took scales with me
They were absolutely gob-smacked but could say nowt as it was the THIRD replacement offered that had the full 6 kg in it 👍

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I was just about to fire off an email to Flo gas to ask them why they sell underweight cylinders.................then I realised that their response would probably be to ask me if the scales I used were calibrated. No they are not.

So......my cunning plan now will be to check the weight by weighing myself first,then again with me holding the cylinder. The result is the difference between the two figures......so doesn’t matter if it’s not calibrated,is my theory.

Then I realised that I put the new cylinder back in the van this afternoon in the wind and rain..................and can I be bovvered to take it out again????!!!! Probably not!

Would you bother?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Where did you arrive from 🤔😜
See you're well up to date, Trev!(y) Just over a two year old post!:rolleyes:
Anyway, I was up repointing the Antonine Wall to keep you non-Glaswegians oot!:whistle2::giggle:

Are you not normally off somewhere exotic in the motorhome at this time of year? Or, are you waiting on foreign travel restrictions easing?:unsure:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
See you're well up to date, Trev!(y) Just over a two year old post!:rolleyes:
Anyway, I was up repointing the Antonine Wall to keep you non-Glaswegians oot!:whistle2::giggle:

Are you not normally off somewhere exotic in the motorhome at this time of year? Or, are you waiting on foreign travel restrictions easing?:unsure:
Oh bugger, I'm just on the north side of it. I'll be passing by you this morning to sunny Strathaven, the van was in for an MOT,service and 7 new boots yesterday. Not in a rush to go anywhere in this weather.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh bugger, I'm just on the north side of it. I'll be passing by you this morning to sunny Strathaven, the van was in for an MOT,service and 7 new boots yesterday. Not in a rush to go anywhere in this weather.
Phew! Thank G*d I'm out and about before we go away.:whew: Weather glorious this morning but just wait 'til this afternoon!:rolleyes:
Monsoon starts on Saturday when we're away!:crying:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Phew! Thank G*d I'm out and about before we go away.:whew: Weather glorious this morning but just wait 'til this afternoon!:rolleyes:
Monsoon starts on Saturday when we're away!:crying:
If it had been half decent I would have went away somewhere, where you off to ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it had been half decent I would have went away somewhere, where you off to ?
Just down to Dumfries and Galloway. Booked on a couple of sites as Combi is acting up and not sure it's fix yet.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back