We need a signal (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Which of us has never, at one time or another, set off or even completed a trip without securing a heki or some other hatch? Yesterday, it was the turn of the guy I followed for a couple of miles on the A386 near Okehampton - his large Heki rising and falling on its struts. I hope he arrived without losing it and noticed it before we get rain.
Alerting someone to this while they’re driving is a dilemma. Sounding the horn or flashing headlights might work but could be interpreted wrongly; it might even be scary for some. It would be useful if we had a common signal for such a thing. Anyone heard of one?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Surly the wind noise would have been enough.
I’m sure most people who leave roof lights open whilst driving don’t realise how easy it is for them to break or get ripped off, would have thought a lot of them are hire vans.

Probably think it was like having the sun roof open on cars which were made of glass not plastic, why did they go out of fashion.

We’ve got a routine starting at the back before we set off to make sure it’s all shut, off or secure, takes 30 seconds to run through.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I once spoke to a family in a hire van at a fuel station who had all the roof lights open and explained there could be damage and they would be liable.

They did thank me but said they thought they were like sun roofs.

Otherwise I flash lights , wave and point upwards and then do a thumbs down gesture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Yep, we have a routine too.... ond does it then the other as bells and braces check. I walk round the outside too checking every hatch and locker.. especially after I left the garage door open recently cos I got distracted by something else and we dropped the silver screen out going round a corner. Only discovered when we got to campsite. Thankfully had only been to the supermarket so screen was about 5 km back sitting on the verge. Thankfully un damaged... unlike my ears which received a right bashing from SWMBO

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seen an old duffer in town drop off a passenger then set off, and continued, with his N/S rear door wide open.
I can only assume he clipped a parked car or road sign pole which closed it for him.
He certainly hadn't noticed in the couple of hundred yards I followed him.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have the pre-drive check , inside and out, then the 100yrd stop to close , secure what ever it is I have missed :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back