We are done with the Caravan Club (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like the C&MHC as it gives us access to hundreds of five pitch sites, all over the UK. We sometimes use the club sites, mainly for a long hot shower and to use their excellent washing machines. We also rate their insurance, especially Red Pennant, for touring Europe.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi folks. I am sure this has been discussed but this is our little rant.
we have been in the Caravan Club for about 20 years. We have used very few main sites as they used to look down on our older Motorhomes and so we used CLs. For the last few years we have toured in France, Germany etc but maintained out club membership.
This year, we have taken a trip in the UK. We have enjoyed the places we have visited and spent money in the towns. We stayed on a quiet part of York away from houses, and found locals, we think, driving past us tooting their horns in the early hours. Do they not want tourists? The camp sites were full and they don’t allow overnights at the park and ride car parks.
We have tried to use small place, pub stops, small ‘overnights‘ etc. We have called Caravan Club sites to see if we can do Service stops. The answer is always No. I did ask why and was told this is ‘Caravan Club policy from the centre’. So why have we been paying the£50 a year? What have we got for it? We stayed on one site, open to non members and saved £3 as members. So this is the last year we will be in a club that appears to be for the HQ rather than the members. We love this country but find the poor reception from so many towards Motorhomes such that we will go back to Europe and spend our money there.

Perhaps in the days to come councils will realise Motorhomes bring money into the towns and do something to promote stays. Perhaps the Caravan Club will realise that not everyone wants to stay on manicured sites with rules and flags and ‘keep off the grass’ signs.
Oh well, we can but hope.
Rant over
D
The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act dates back to 1960 and hasn't been reviewed since. Most site staff & wardens don't have a clue what's in it and simply repeat parrot fashion what they're told by officious suits reminiscent of a 1970's local councillor.

The 6 metre rule was brought in for caravans made of a plywood skin.

If you have a wind out awning you only need to be 5 metres apart & at corners only 3.5m apart.

If you have a full awning the space between units can be as little as 3 metres and towing vehicles must also be 3 metres apart.

Aluminium clad caravans need only a 5 metre separation.

Hard standing is only applicable if or where units remain in place over winter.

These where the days of highly flammable insulation, highly flammable upholstery and particularly toxic plastics.

The world & technology has moved on, sadly the C&MC hasn't.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Here’s another way of looking at it .
If the C&MC allowed members Motorhomes to turn up as when they wanted to take on water and empty their crap .
You would end up with potential a bottleneck of caravans waiting to book in and Motorhomes trying to manoeuvre at service points creating chaos .
There are many C&MC sites with narrow approach roads and limited width within the site can you imagine the congestion with large Motorhomes trying to leave after midday and meeting caravans arriving
But he wouldn't need to visit camc sites if there was any availability, but there isn't because they take advanced bookings from non members up to a year ahead. I started motor homing because I like the freedom to Roam as the fancy takes me (not a wild camper) and I do this easily abroad but these last two years have been a nightmare trying to use camc sites in this country.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Left the cmc after about 3 years and the ccc about 2 years later. Most cmc sites are not situated within cycling or walking distance of places we want to visit, and often require 3 or more nights stay minimum. There are some good cls but increasingly expensive, we don't want or need electricity, and we were always poring over a map to ensure they were within a mile of a decent pub.
A mixture of Britstops, basic private sites and so called wild camping is what we enjoy most.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
But he wouldn't need to visit camc sites if there was any availability, but there isn't because they take advanced bookings from non members up to a year ahead. I started motor homing because I like the freedom to Roam as the fancy takes me (not a wild camper) and I do this easily abroad but these last two years have been a nightmare trying to use camc sites in this country.
Well it’s hardly the C&MC fault that there sites are in such high demand partly because of the pandemic.
We are a small island with a huge population and caravan and Motorhomes are popular
It’s a case of first come first served , everybody has the same chances and many Caravan / Motorhome owners are still working so they book months ahead for long weekends and annual leave .

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I don’t think it’s fair that some sites say you have to book for 5 nights or more.Went to book a site other day.Put all details in to be told min stay 2 nights 🤦‍♀️
As far as I’m aware C&MC sites allow 1 night bookings anytime of the year
Only exception will be affiliated sites which are not owned by the C&MC but accept bookings from members .

It’s the C&CC (Camping and Caravan Club ) that insist on minimum 2 night .

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Well it’s hardly the C&MC fault that there sites are in such high demand partly because of the pandemic.
We are a small island with a huge population and caravan and Motorhomes are popular
It’s a case of first come first served , everybody has the same chances and many Caravan / Motorhome owners are still working so they book months ahead for long weekends and annual leave .
Couldn't agree. There should be deposits taken and a certain level of occupancy should trigger a members only situation. Simple things the club could do if they were as interested in the members as they are in maximising income.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
It's just a commercial entity, your funding a board of directors and investors. It's not a member's club in anyway at all. CAMC is not on my list of investments
blimey, didn’t know that. Guess that the published annual accounts are all lies then.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
It's only redeeming feature is the CL network. Haven't used a single CAMC site this year. At least C&CC allow "splash and dash" visits. CAMC is as up to date as a trilobite.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
It's only redeeming feature is the CL network. Haven't used a single CAMC site this year. At least C&CC allow "splash and dash" visits. CAMC is as up to date as a trilobite.

Have only used one that isn’t CAMC so far this year, guess which was the cheapest?

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Left the cmc after about 3 years and the ccc about 2 years later. Most cmc sites are not situated within cycling or walking distance of places we want to visit, and often require 3 or more nights stay minimum. There are some good cls but increasingly expensive, we don't want or need electricity, and we were always poring over a map to ensure they were within a mile of a decent pub.
A mixture of Britstops, basic private sites and so called wild camping is what we enjoy most.
I've just left a camc site where I was squeezed onto a terrible rough tiny patch of grass at the back of beyond. They said because I didn't need electric or awning it was an eco pitch (Economy). I didn't want economy, just not electric or awning.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Couldn't agree. There should be deposits taken and a certain level of occupancy should trigger a members only situation. Simple things the club could do if they were as interested in the members as they are in maximising income.
I think you'll find the majority of members are happy with the present booking system , the idea of deposits was put out to consultation a few years back and was rejected .

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I think you'll find the majority of members are happy with the present booking system , the idea of deposits was put out to consultation a few years back and was rejected .
Nice to know you speak for the majority of members. I can say that if you asked anybody anywhere whether they'd prefer non deposit you'd get an affirmative answer. However I'm giving my personal opinion of what I find wrong with the system. You are entitled to like it the way it is.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We just use the CLs done are good value, fiver a night, £7 a night etc
Never stay on the main sites eye wateringly expensive.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't buy into the 'saving' of £12pn [now £13pn because they've increased the non Member supplement. CAMH CLs are quite good for us but the fees are always more expensive than the CAMH website states, and CAMH own site fees are becoming uncompetitive [and the advertised price misleading]. It seems to be just about cashflow generation with Club Sites at £35pn and upwards for a couple. The 'cuddly warm club' headline banner sits above a cash production operation.

Steve
Take a look at their published accounts. There are no shareholders and all income is used within the Club.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act dates back to 1960 and hasn't been reviewed since. Most site staff & wardens don't have a clue what's in it and simply repeat parrot fashion what they're told by officious suits reminiscent of a 1970's local councillor.

If you have a wind out awning you only need to be 5 metres apart & at corners only 3.5m apart.

If you have a full awning the space between units can be as little as 3 metres and towing vehicles must also be 3 metres apart.

These where the days of highly flammable insulation, highly flammable upholstery and particularly toxic plastics.

Nor have the Fire Service recommendations then? Much closer than 20 feet might not cause an adjacent unit to catch fire but there would be heat damage. Why would anyone want a reduction anyway?

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Take a look at their published accounts. There are no shareholders and all income is used within the Club.
I don't dispute that, Tony. My gripes are that the prices are rarely as stated, the 'saving' for members is just the removal of a high non member supplement that has increased again, and, since the restart, the emphasis on cash generation has gone into overdrive. CAMH site near Thirsk was £37+ per night in mid July, yet we found a private site with the same facilities at £20 per night. With staycations and an LSE Research Project last week forecasting up to a further 2 million jobs at risk, a 'thank you' to Members by offering genuine discounts would have helped Members who are struggling and would have mitigated the loss of customers who are saying 'enough is enough' in response to the high percentage increases.

Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't dispute that, Tony. My gripes are that the prices are rarely as stated, the 'saving' for members is just the removal of a high non member supplement that has increased again, and, since the restart, the emphasis on cash generation has gone into overdrive. CAMH site near Thirsk was £37+ per night in mid July, yet we found a private site with the same facilities at £20 per night. With staycations and an LSE Research Project last week forecasting up to a further 2 million jobs at risk, a 'thank you' to Members by offering genuine discounts would have helped Members who are struggling and would have mitigated the loss of customers who are saying 'enough is enough' in response to the high percentage increases.

Steve
Totally agree about the prices. I'd like the Club to publish an annual narrative about the direction of future plans, spending, etc. Too often they simply update existing information and you're left wondering why they changed something.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002

Why on earth would a warden need to have a detailed understanding of or interpret the legislation and standards that apply to the business? That’s the job of the responsible officers. The warden is simply trained in how to apply the rules based on high level principles, such as 6 metres is for fire safety. The warden does not have to justify the 6 metre rule or any rule to you. If you don’t like the rules don’t go. It’s no use berating and belittling people for simply doing their job. I’ve seen too many people do it.

And as for your interpretation of the act and model standards, the bits you quote are for static caravan sites not touring parks.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Nice to know you speak for the majority of members. I can say that if you asked anybody anywhere whether they'd prefer non deposit you'd get an affirmative answer. However I'm giving my personal opinion of what I find wrong with the system. You are entitled to like it the way it is.
Where did I say I was speaking for the majority of members 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
This has been debated at length by club members and brought up at the AGM more than once and each time it’s been rejected .
Anyway this conversation is going nowhere so we will agree to disagree
You don’t like the way the club is run that’s your prerogative

Deleted User
For my first year at least, Ive not yet paid for a site but have (or will) already recouped my membership cost via the discount offers (set of tyrepal replacement valves and the esso fuel card).

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have just sent weeks away with grandkids, CAMC with the older ones, all facilities open, all clean only complaint was a leaking tap at one of the chemical disposal points, not a deal breaker. would we go again? Yes.
2nd Week aC&CC site, which we have used for 12 years, main facilities have loads of showers wash basins and 3 loos, open and clean, nearest block to us was closed, this block has 3 showers and washbasins and several toilets. For a site the size it is can’t understand why that block was closed, we mainly used our own facilities, but the gents often had a queue at the open blocks. Site position is great, for us, play area has been refurbished, it has an area for playing football. Will we go again yes. We booked early and our prices were as booking, a decent saving compared to prices now.
took elder ones to a private site last year, site was ok but owner was obnoxious, wouldn’t allow the boys or other lads, play on the ball game area, however when his friends and kids arrived they were allowed on, if any of the others tried to join in they were booted off.
Both clubs have their faults and am sure that CAMC will soon sell their Rowntreepark site, as they are really pushing their other site near York.
However have already had my membership fees back in savings, got them back last year too.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We are in both clubs and have used sites from both. The only overly officious warden we encountered was at a "friendly club" site in Cornwall in 2014. We had a pitch behind our daughters trailer tent, one of the wardens drove up and said we were too close, we should be 3 metres apart. We had a tape measure with us as it happened, and we were actually a smidgeon over 3 metres gap.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Here’s another way of looking at it .
If the C&MC allowed members Motorhomes to turn up as when they wanted to take on water and empty their crap .
You would end up with potential a bottleneck of caravans waiting to book in and Motorhomes trying to manoeuvre at service points creating chaos .
There are many C&MC sites with narrow approach roads and limited width within the site can you imagine the congestion with large Motorhomes trying to leave after midday and meeting caravans arriving
Caravan and camping club allow service drop offs which we use regularly (although currently paused for pandemic and it has never been a problem in terms of too many vehicles etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back