WATER PUMP PROBLEM (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
HI, we have a Arto 2012 and have a problem with the water pressure pump when only having the water coming our at say half rate, i.e. for cleaning teeth. It makes a on / off kind of noise. It is fine when turned on full rate. Any ideas please.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
HI, we have a Arto 2012 and have a problem with the water pressure pump when only having the water coming our at say half rate, i.e. for cleaning teeth. It makes a on / off kind of noise. It is fine when turned on full rate. Any ideas please.
Pressure switch on the end of the pump, or possible air on the suction side or the prefilter clogged?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's normal.
As the tap is only part open the pipe pressure is turning the pump off.
Pressure drops and the pump turns back on momentarily until the pipes pressurised then the pump turns off again repeatedly.
Turn the tap fully on and the pump will continue to run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Many thanks for help, pressure is fine when tap full on. Just thought it might be a problem pump.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I don't think you have a problem with your pump....it's what they all do basically. They are simple on/off beasts.....when they sense the pressure in the pipe falls they kick in, and when it gets back up to max pressure they stop again.
If you only partly open a tap, you are "confusing" the pump, as it's still able to pump water into the pipes faster than you are draining it at the tap, so it kicks in, then stops when pressure is at max again, then almost instantly kicks in again as pressure drops, then stops again when pressure in pipes is at max again. etc etc.
But if you fully open the tap, then water pressure in pipes stays below max as it comes out of that tap as fast as the pump can shove it into the pipe the other end from the water tank.
So the pump stays on all the time until after you shut of the tap and it has then built the pressure back up to system max.
We never bother with "slightly open" on any of our taps; as our pump does the same if we let water just dribble from any tap.

Suggest just turn on fully but only for a couple of seconds, just to rinse toothbrush after teeth cleaning.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The simple answer is to fit an 'accumulator'. Fiamma (and others) do one & it's a simple tee into the pipe leaving the pump. The pump will still turn off, then back on, but much less often. It's easier on the pump and the water flow is steadier. And it dramatically reduces the noise :).

One of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-A2...hash=item21266fdb85:m:mTQCCbpv06gOTZiMYF4vHPw

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Sounds good. Thanks for help, will certainly look into this.

Will it definitely fit my van? Are there different specs?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Everybody so far has assumed that you have a pump operated by a pressure switch. But many do not have that type of system and instead use microswitches on the taps. The answer will be different for that type of system.

N&B are part of the Hymer group and I thought most of theirs use microswitches. Best to check and report back before spending money on something you may not need.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Everybody so far has assumed that you have a pump operated by a pressure switch. But many do not have that type of system and instead use microswitches on the taps. The answer will be different for that type of system.

N&B are part of the Hymer group and I thought most of theirs use microswitches. Best to check and report back before spending money on something you may not need.
N+B will be SHURflo pump Hymer may well be microswitch I don't know, there are quite a lot of differences between the two brands even though as you say N+B are now part of Hymer, and yes to the OP that sounds normal for the reasons explained by others.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Oooookay, where do I check and how do I check and where are the micro switches on the taps

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oooookay, where do I check and how do I check and where are the micro switches on the taps
You could check under the taps, in the bathroom if it easiest to get at, if there are no wires there are no microswitches so you have the pressurised system with a SHURflo pump, OR you could check under the floor near the water tank for a silver pump with SHURflo written on it. But if the tap is on a little bit and it goes bump bump bump quite slowly and bbbbbbbbbbbb very fast when the taps are on full then you have SHURflo pressurised system.

Hope this makes sense.

image.jpeg

This pump does not use microswitches.

Martin

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back