Water ingress in new(ish) motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Evening all,

I had a look at a nearly new A class today with a view to possible purchase.
Registered April 2022 with 1400 miles on the clock. The van looked very clean and tidy as you would expect.
Paperwork from the hab check in April 2023 revealed that the dealer had identified water ingress on the two back corners of the roof and the rear near side floor of the garage. Dealer advised that all has been made good under warranty.
I had a very close look at the areas and all looks perfect, there is absolutely no evidence of any current issue.
Talking to the dealer he said that they see a surprising number of 1 year old vans (all manufacturers and models) with water leaks identified at their first hab check that have to be fixed under warranty.
Does this sound reasonable? If it is a fairly common issue and, once properly sorted, should be no cause for concern then I’ll continue looking at this van. Or should I run a mile?
I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
Many thanks.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
An independent verification all is now well would be a good starting position, but no reason why a professionally repaired shell should leak again. If purchased though, a good quality moisture meter should be one of your first purchases to catch early any reoccurrence.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Ask the said dealer for a longer warranty on the repair. I think you have or have had a Rapido A class. If it’s a Rapido you’re looking at 😉😉 what’s the quality like and how would you compare.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I personally don't see anything wrong with it if its been repaired to a high standard. I'd guess there are a lot of van owners out there that dont know their van is leaking, either cos they haven' t noticed it or its normally kept undercover. It wouldn't put me off, mine had water ingress too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
My last van bought new was three weeks old and a good downfall of rain found a faulty window seal and stained the seat cushion. Warranty repaired eventually after a failed cushion clean so new cushion took nearly 3 months to get even though seal was sorted within a couple of weeks

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I personally would walk away.
It was picked up as damp in April this year, and all three areas have already been repaired,that’s been sorted very quickly as we know dealers are always very busy at this time of year.
I would want clear evidence of what they have done.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Run away very fast, you don't know to what standard it's been repaired.
If it was leaking seams they probably just resealed them and dried them out, when a proper repair would involve stripping off the internal wall boards and checking for damage.

What van is it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks everyone for your replies.
A few differing opinions but all valuable.
I shall give it some more thought 😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
An independent verification all is now well would be a good starting position, but no reason why a professionally repaired shell should leak again. If purchased though, a good quality moisture meter should be one of your first purchases to catch early any reoccurrence.
Mike.
Thanks Mike.
Do you have any recommendations of a damp meter model that would be suitable?

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We have had good weather recently giving the van time to dry out damp may not show up again until we get some rain
too late then you've bought it and it could become a problem

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Evening all,

I had a look at a nearly new A class today with a view to possible purchase.
Registered April 2022 with 1400 miles on the clock. The van looked very clean and tidy as you would expect.
Paperwork from the hab check in April 2023 revealed that the dealer had identified water ingress on the two back corners of the roof and the rear near side floor of the garage. Dealer advised that all has been made good under warranty.
I had a very close look at the areas and all looks perfect, there is absolutely no evidence of any current issue.
Talking to the dealer he said that they see a surprising number of 1 year old vans (all manufacturers and models) with water leaks identified at their first hab check that have to be fixed under warranty.
Does this sound reasonable? If it is a fairly common issue and, once properly sorted, should be no cause for concern then I’ll continue looking at this van. Or should I run a mile?
I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
Many thanks.

"Talking to the dealer". Have to say that even if a motorhome dealer was my brother, I wouldn't believe a word he says. They are there to sell motorhomes, not to give a monkeys about you. First, I have heard about a surprising number of new motorhomes have leaks. Sounds like sales patter to me.

Notwithstanding that, the issue is mostly about current condition -v- price. If this bus is the exact model that you want, and is set at a price you consider fair, then proceed, but get a few grand taken off and a lengthier warranty on water ingress, as Fdhadi says. However, if you are making compromise's in your 'want list', on the basis that it is affordable, then I would say, keep looking.

Personally, it would have to be MUCH cheaper than book price, and definitely fixed, before I went for a van that had historical water issues.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Mike.
We've got two of these (home and motorhome) Amazon product ASIN B003CSNV2Q
Got local guy to "test" against his professional kit and they came out very close to his readings.
Other will prefer pinless options though.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Thanks Mike.
There are two types available, invasive = with small pointed prongs that actually pierce the surface material to obtain a reading, or the non invasive type, these are able to obtain a reliable reading, but no marks left to evidence they have been used.
There will advocates for both types, and detractors for both.
Best have a look at the familiar market places, at both types and make you're best educated guess at a budget you're happy to pay, which will range from a £tenner, up to ?.
For my part, I have a small invasive Ebay one £10.00, that I carry in the van, and monitor readings using the same pin points that have been made when the annual water ingress check has been done.
I had some elevated readings on a garage door, which being a stand alone isolated panel didn't concern me unduly, especially as I was able to pin point the fault to a joint in the door make up panel, which was easily rectified with some "helicopter wing edge tape" over the joint. I have monitored the levels fall away to well below 10% from the high 20%s.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back