Water filter saga Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
in an earlier thread I detailed how the 3m water filter was causing my pump to cycle on and off when the tap was opened,the tap to where the filter is fitted in line.After trying all sorts my final throw of the dice is this.Can I filter before the pump instead?

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
no, it won't work..

Try increasing the cut off pressure on the pump.. (adjusting screw on end of pump) do it gradually until the pump stops cycling

Jim you are my hero.Its took me most of the night but after finally finding the adjustment screw and slowly turning it many times,it has stopped the pulsating in the pipeline.I will go to bed a happy man.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
If only you'd taken my (same) advice in your other thread, you could have gone to bed a happy man days ago :LOL:

Glad it's sorted though @Ovalball - mine drove me mad too so I know exactly what you were going through (y)(y)
You’re right I should.I finally found the elusive adjustment screw and decided to start again and try all suggestions no matter how fiddly getting at the adjustment was.I gave up first time round when my brain started smokingMuch appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Heads up, as yours may work the same (weird!) way that mine does, sometimes I have to adjust it again if I'm on 12v, rather than 240v? It's as if for some reason while off-grid it needs an extra half turn...

I have no idea why though!

It's a 12v pump, so even when on mains hookup, it's still only being "sent" 12v from the charger/transformer?!

Anyway, be prepared, you may have to make adjustments on the move :)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Jim you are my hero.Its took me most of the night but after finally finding the adjustment screw and slowly turning it many times,it has stopped the pulsating in the pipeline.I will go to bed a happy man.

Glad to hear you’ve resolved the issue and looks as though this will be my solution too. Just before I attempt this as well, have you noticed a difference with the pressure at the other taps since making the adjustment?

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Hi not really no although I will give it a good test today including shower.I will let you know the outcome.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Pressure has reduced but only slightly and I can live with that.Havent tried the shower but my plan is to actually have a proper shower so I can test temperature and pressure.I will do this later today.The adjustment Allen key on the pump is either 2mm or 2.5mm can’t work out which.I had to adjust mine approx 3 full turns anti clockwise but had to do it in bits at a time because of the location of the pump and I couldn’t move the key more than a quarter of a turn before hitting the side wall.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Shower worked fine,Absolutely no difference in pressure or temperature control in my opinion.I have turned the guilty tap on and off several times this morning and apart from once it was ok.On the one occasion it wasn’t (it juddered the pump a bit)I gave the pressure switch a further half a turn and it’s been ok since.Fingers crossed

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Heads up, as yours may work the same (weird!) way that mine does, sometimes I have to adjust it again if I'm on 12v, rather than 240v? It's as if for some reason while off-grid it needs an extra half turn...

I have no idea why though!

It's a 12v pump, so even when on mains hookup, it's still only being "sent" 12v from the charger/transformer?!

Anyway, be prepared, you may have to make adjustments on the move :)
Right, however when on EHU the DC charge volts will be higher and cause the pump to run faster and hence alter the pressure.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Strange thing mine isn’t on hook up and hasn’t been.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Shower worked fine,Absolutely no difference in pressure or temperature control in my opinion.I have turned the guilty tap on and off several times this morning and apart from once it was ok.On the one occasion it wasn’t (it juddered the pump a bit)I gave the pressure switch a further half a turn and it’s been ok since.Fingers crossed

Fantastic and really appreciate the feed back on your findings since altering the pressure on the pump.(y)

I will be tackling mine this week so fingers crossed.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Back to the drawing board as the adjustment on the top of the pump didn't work for me:(

On my pump, in small writing around the screw, it states that the screw will only adjust the switch cutting in and out and not the water pressure from the pump.

due to the pressure switch pulsing rapidly whilst using the filter, I've now taken the filter offline until a solution is found so not to burn out the switch or damage the pump.

I had thought an accumulator would assist the problem if placed inline just prior to the filter. However, I'm reluctant to part with my hard earned readies if this isn't going to resolve the problem, especially with @Ovalball earlier comment?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We don't have a filter but I recently fitted a Whale Surge Damper 720 to replace the original Fiamma accumulator, which had started leaking. It wasn't expensive and was easy to fit.

I think an accumulator of some sort could solve this problem as it should prevent a peak over-pressure building up as the pump "pulses". The other point is if the filter is causing problems now when new it is likely to get worse after a while and it slowly gets blocked.

LRM_EXPORT_20180620_115445.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On my pump, in small writing around the screw, it states that the screw will only adjust the switch cutting in and out and not the water pressure from the pump.

this is correct, it doesn't alter the pump maximum delivery pressure ..

.. It is a pressure switch that determines the pressure the pump cuts in and out at

an accumulator may solve the pulsation problem.

Reactions: DBK

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Thank you @DBK and @scotjimland, based on your experienced and well regarded knowledge I will be investing in a accumulator in attempt to resolve the problem.

Thank you both for your prompt replies(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you @DBK and @scotjimland, based on your experienced and well regarded knowledge I will be investing in a accumulator in attempt to resolve the problem.

Thank you both for your prompt replies(y)
But don't blame us if it doesn't work! :)
There are different sizes and prices for accumulators. The one I fitted is one of the smaller ones if not the smallest.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
But don't blame us if it doesn't work! :)
There are different sizes and prices for accumulators. The one I fitted is one of the smaller ones if not the smallest.

Wouldn't dream of it:D

I'll opt for the Shurflo accumulator and see how I get on(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Strange thing mine isn’t on hook up and hasn’t been.
But you must charge your batteries, or do you have a perpetual motion installation? If you do it with only Solar you will still get voltage fluctuations.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Can only say that mine has been fine since adjusting the Allen screw.I just kept turning it anti clockwise bit at a time until it stopped shunting.Tried the accumulator tank and it made no difference whatsoever.If you want one you can have mine half price,but it would be a waste of money IMO.I have tried mine every day this week and it has been fine.All I can suggest is keep adjusting it and see what happens.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Accumulator is the way to go, I had one on my last van and it does help with pulsing, I did have to 're pressurise it every so often with a bicycle pump can't remember what the pressure was tho.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An accumulator is normally installed to prevent short-cycling or pulsing when a tap or shower control is only partially opened. Short cycling does the pump and pressure switch no good at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back