water drain down on chic c line (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive been reading the manual (dangerous I know) and have got confused on the water drain down method as there seen two ways of doing it (cold water)

10.2.4.2. below shows you turn the drain valve 1 anticlockwise ¾ of a turn to lower trhe water to 20lts or fully to empty the tank.

20210312_143858 (2).jpg

10.2.4.6. below shows you open drain taps A and or B to empty the hot & cold water

20210312_143920.jpg

(note I have alde option so both taps are lever type)

20210227_142153.jpg

Im confused.com

Which system is correct or do you need to do both?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Two separate things. The fresh water tank is where you fresh water is stored. The water system is the system for pumping it from the fresh water tank to the water heater and the taps. Both need draining in cold weather and not in use. Keep the taps open while draining the system and blow through the end of the shower hose to make sure it all drains. Then keep all the taps open. Make sure your water pump is switched off as well.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Is draining down always necessary? I do drain the fresh water tank by running the taps and shower and then emptying the grey tank. My understanding is that - at least on our model - the water system is in the heated double floor. I have the van permanently on EHU when not in use, with the heating on and set to 8 degrees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Keith I left water in mine this winter, but set to 10 degrees, and hot water on low, I would not normally do this. My reason for doing so this year and using a bit of extra electric was that I didnt then have the knowledge to do it properly as the hand over wasn't as comprehensive as it could have been due to covid , next year I will drain it as I dont really like leaving the mains on for a long extended time. I have however usually left the mains on two weeks ether side of new year even with the 4 solar panels on the old van, I only have two on this one so I might extend it to 3 weeks each side of new year.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
You need to do both. Drain the fresh water tank by turning the black knob a couple of full turns anti-clockwise.

As peterc10 says, the two levers drain the water system’s pipes, including the taps. The red lever is obviously for the hot water system and this will allow the hot water tank to drain. If that freezes and splits the hot water tank (part of the boiler), that’s a very expensive repair.

As has been said, open the taps whilst you drain the system, 50/50 position so hot and cold pipes are open at the tap end. If air can’t get in, water can’t get out. I then close the taps and open just the shower tap and blow through to clear as much as possible from the pipes. Then I do the same with the kitchen tap which, on mine, is on a flexible hose.

Alternatively, leave the heating on but that can cause a bit of condensation on the inside of the windscreen. I prefer to drain the system in winter. Takes 10 minutes.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
thanks Ive got the drain down right in my head now, When I had it delivered in early Dec it had water in from the had check that was done as part of the sale deal, I decided to just heat until I could do it properly with confidence, its a a lot different to my old autotrail. I didn't experience any condensation due to heating, and I did check it a few time a week to sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I drain down the grey waste tank but I never drain down the fresh water system. I leave about 40ltrs in the fresh tank inhibited with the correct amount of Silver Ion liquid a bit of which I pump through the fresh water system. The van is parked on the drive and on EHU so I set the heating to the minimum (5 Deg C) which is enough to ensure nothing freezes, and leave it on 24/7. Controversially I also run a small electric dehumidifier :blush:.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I was going to ask what Silver Ion liquid is but I did a google,

Silver-ion high-performance liquid chromatography (Ag-HPLC) coupled to mass spectrometry provides a unique capability to separate molecules according to the number, positions, and geometry of double bonds (DBs), which can be applied for characterization of the DB arrangement in triacylglycerols, fatty acid methyl esters, and other unsaturated molecules with low to medium polarity

now Im non the wiser....but guessing it keeps the water purified

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back